R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

dometic rm8501 help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Cruiser81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dometic rm8501 help
    Posted: 19 Jul 2023 at 8:24pm
Looks like my cooling unit assembly is blocked which will condemn the fridge.  otherwise it works perfectly and still cools but not enough.  An annoyance since it is only a 2019 172 with light use.  What are we replacing it with?  Looks like the RM8501 is not really supported anymore.  As an aside, removing the fridge and inspecting the cavity reinforced my opinion that there is no one at the factory that has any skill or desire to do a good job assembling these trailers!  they did manage to insulate 1 of the 3 sides before they ran out of material and just shoved the fridge in at least!  

lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 5:22am
Sounds like you are talking about FR's rPod factory.  Like any product, the quality standard is really set by the "tone from the top."  If management doesn't train its assemblers, pushes production output over quality, and fails at quality control, you're going to have a low quality product.  Seems to me that's where the problem lies.  

We replaced the Dometic refrigerator in our 172, which I got from FR back when they actually sold parts to their customers.  I made a number of improvements to the original installation, including more insulation around the unit, heavier cable for the power supply, and a more careful seal around the back sides of the fridge.  It was an easy installation.  Unfortunately, now it appears that the RM8501 prices are more than double what we paid in 2018.  Good luck figuring out your problem with your fridge.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Cruiser81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cruiser81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 9:49am
Thanks- Yes my comment stated "the Factory".  Bad ethos all around from management to line.  There doesn't appear to be any parts or complete refers available anymore...  

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 10:34am
When mine died, I opted to replace it with a Dometic CRX-1110E/F-S from Boat & RV Accessories. They had the best price. It is DC/AC only so you would likely need to upgrade your 12V system if you only have a single 12V battery. It is energy efficient, but still, without the propane option, boondocking is more limited unless you have solar or a generator to charge your battery/batteries, especially if you need to use other high power draw items like my wife's oxygen concentrator and my CPAP machine (lower power draw if humidifier turned off). The plus is that it does keep things cold and frozen items stay frozen.

It will fit in the existing space with minor modifications. It is slightly wider, but shorter. It is deeper and since it does not have the boiler behind it, it has better storage capacity than the RM8501. I built a small platform when I installed mine. In hindsight, I could have just put a filler panel above it instead and saved a bunch of work.

I hope this provides you with another alternative that may fit your needs better than just replacing the RM8501.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Cruiser81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cruiser81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 11:54am
thanks Stephen. Ill check it out...
I have 2 lifeline 6V AGM batteries in series so 220 AH. will need to upgrade the charger from the crappy stock one....

mikeyg2347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mikeyg2347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2023 at 11:57am
I made the same upgrade as Stephen with no regrets. Refer is much more efficient and low maintenance. My camping is almost 100% boondocking so I bought a Renogy 100 watt solar suitcase for less than $200 and that more than supplies my power needs. Same battery setup as yours.
Mike
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2023 at 7:20pm
Curious as to the Dometic alternative that StephenH made.  I have neither generator or solar and am curious as to how much battery this unit sucks up.  I have a pair of 12v batteries: a 12+ year old Interstate group size 24, deep cycle and a 3 year old Trojan (85 lbs) T-1275 that gives 165 AH.  We usually boondock so not having the propane option may be a deal breaker when it comes time to replacing this one (our first one lasted 10 years), the current one will be 3 years old next month.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
hank*pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote hank*pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2023 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by jato

Curious as to the Dometic alternative that StephenH made.  I have neither generator or solar and am curious as to how much battery this unit sucks up.  I have a pair of 12v batteries: a 12+ year old Interstate group size 24, deep cycle and a 3 year old Trojan (85 lbs) T-1275 that gives 165 AH.  We usually boondock so not having the propane option may be a deal breaker when it comes time to replacing this one (our first one lasted 10 years), the current one will be 3 years old next month.
https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdoor/boat/boat-refrigerators/dometic-crx-110e-56279

6.2 amps at 12 volts,
0.82 amps at 120 volts
But the duty cycle also matters (how cold it's set vs how hot the environment is)

Cruiser81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Cruiser81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2023 at 8:11pm
so I think I dodged a bullet...  Since I didn't want to part with the cash to replace the fridge, I set about learning how these things work.  I also put baffles around the rear of the fridge to direct the air to the heat exchange fins since FR does such a piss poor job.  I noticed I couldn't hear the flame at all though it appeared blue and solid.  I removed the gas orifice and cleaned with carb cleaner, reinstall and now the flame is audible.  Frigde now cooling below freezing overnight and 7 degrees celsius in the heat of the day which right now is 29 degrees celsius and the fridge side of the trailer is full sun.  I put an ice cube in the freezer and it is still frozen after 2 days.   Now there is a light coating of frost on the fridge fins where they were not hardly cool before.  we are headed to the desert next week and will see how it goes.  
 Post Reply Post Reply