R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

12 volt circuit at fuse panel only 3 volts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 volt circuit at fuse panel only 3 volts
    Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by poohbill

My neighbor suggested a tap into the ground then a connection to the frame in a second location.

Assuming the problem is with the ground, that would almost certainly work, but there's hardly any connection that can't be cleaned up and made like new.  Worst case, maybe a new cable from the battery to the frame would be called for, along with wire-brushing the frame, maybe a new bolt, and some dielectric grease.  Connections need cleaning from time to time.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
GCRicker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GCRicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 8:30pm
The ground connection to the chassis appears to be fine, and I even connected another ground connection to the battery to under a screw on the chassis.  Same results.  I'm taking the RPod to the dealer next week for them to take a look.  I'll post what the fix is.  
Thanks all for your replies.
poohbill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote poohbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 3:50pm
Although the connections at the batteries and frame looked OK, I cleaned everything today and added dielectric lube. My pump settled back to being the workhorse its been until recently. Thank you PHP.
2016 179 Gastropod
2017 Ridgeline
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by GCRicker

The ground connection to the chassis appears to be fine, and I even connected another ground connection to the battery to under a screw on the chassis.  Same results.  I'm taking the RPod to the dealer next week for them to take a look.  I'll post what the fix is.  
Thanks all for your replies.

Depends on what you mean by "appears to be fine".  If you just eye-balled it without taking the cable off, wire-brushing it, the frame, and the bolt holding everything together, it simply doesn't count.  The other ground should have helped, but what size wire was it and are you sure it was connected to bare metal.

Hopefully the dealer will be able to figure it out.  I know several of us will be very interested to hear the diagnosis.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12