This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Batteries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Batteries
    Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 4:51pm
So now that I have a DC fridge, I have found that being off grid is a challenge. As there is no propane option, you really need to think about power. I have 2 6 volt GC2 batteries and 180 watts of solar. It's near impossible to get thru 24 hours off grid. In full sun, I can run with no problem. Overnight is the issue. The batteries are struggling to make it to sun up. I assume I'm either going to have to buy lithium batts. Anyone have a DC fridge, and lithium batts? What is your AH on yours? And how long can you go off grid running the DC fridge? 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2023 at 8:40pm
I have a 200AH LiFePO4 battery. In addition to the refrigerator (larger, so more power use), I also need to run a CPAP machine and an oxygen concentrator. We usually stop around 6 or 7 pm. The next morning, I check and am down about 100 AH. I have solar, but I also have a generator. It is indeed challenging. The propane refrigerator does make boondocking easier. However, we have been able to make it so far.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 8:56am
Ok, so I'm seeing that you use about 100ah per night, or per day? Is that a reasonable yard stick? How much solar do you have? Would adding more solar help? Or would you need to add more AH? I'm looking at a battery on amazon that has 230ah. It sounds as though that might be enough? Since the battery should get topped off in the morning as the sun comes out (if its sunny). I have 2 honda 2000 watt inv gennys, but I am looking for as close to a full solar solution as possible. You can never count on generator friendly parks. I would definitely consider buying 2 of those batteries, but i'm not sure if it would be needed. Maybe a second battery would be good for installing an inverter?  Maybe even run a/c? would that be possible? Thanks in advance
Oh, by the way, does the same rule of thumb apply to lithium batts, that you should add them at the same time, don't mix a year old with a new? So I know if I have to buy at the same time if I decide to go with 2. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 9:48am
Yes, yes, and yes. I'm not sure if I have 50 or 100 Watts of solar. Yes, the same rule applies about age of batteries. As for running AC, look at the Gone with the Winns blog on YouTube. It would take a lot more battery power and solar panels to make that feasible, and only then if you are in a place with lots of sunshine.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 6:25pm
I have a now 3 year old Trojan T-1275 battery that puts out 165AH, pretty good for a 12v LA battery but also a heavy weight at 85 lbs.  Between that and our 12+ year old Interstate we go 7 days off grid when night temps are in the 40's with the furnace running a lot.  But you present a new challenge with running a fridge that is NOT propane.  Hopefully, by the time ours quits functioning there will be some good alternatives to the current Dometic 8501.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 8:59pm
The refrigerator that we put in the RPod was much smaller and thus, used much less energy than the large refrigerator in the Grey Wolf. I don't remember the figures but they are somewhere in my mods.

Edit: I went through and found the specific link.

So, we have a larger refrigerator and are using the oxygen concentrator which has a significant draw. Don't take my experience as typical. The CPAP machine is another draw, but I keep the humidifier turned off which cuts the amount of energy required for it.

The oxygen concentrator uses 9 watts while in standby. It uses about 88-103 watts while running. That is a significant draw and is a great part of the power use overnight.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2023 at 2:00pm
Given time and money, anything is possible. If you have unlimited funds, you can do what this guy did. He is a legend on the Escape forum. The video is an hour long but what he has done is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEmWZViNs3c

Or, you can put a soft start on your AC and splurge on an ultra quiet Honda EU2200i and be done with it.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 11:09am
I just ordered two 100 ah lithium batts from renogy. Two 100ah batts with both bluetooth monitoring and self warming was 1,050ish,  1,126 with tax. This should be the end of my battery concerns for a while. As long as there is sun, I should be able to run pretty much indefinitely. According to the tech, I should be able to run the dc fridge for 30 hours + with no charging. I'm pretty excited. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 11:19am
Congratulations! I'm looking forward to reading about the results when you get a chance to use them.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 12:16pm
I am not going to install them until april ish, no need since I wont be using it. Not sure if i'm going to install them inside, or on the tongue. They are advertised as having a bolt down attachment. I'll have some time to think about it i guess

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>