R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Lithium battery installation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Geezerbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lithium battery installation
    Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 11:00pm
After having my two Interstate batteries die after five days of boondockimg in our 192, using only water pump and frig fan, along with the wife charging watch and iPad, I am considering a 200ah lithium battery installation. I am looking at the same unit that Stephan installed in his Rpod. 

I have checked on line and it appears that my original inverter/converter will accommodate the lithium battery. 

My question is: how is the best way to attach the needed long negative battery cable. Should it go all the way back to the red battery/on/off knob? If so will that on/off unit accept that size cable? Or what proper method should be used?

Thanks in advance,

Bill
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 9:07pm
Interesting to hear about your Interstate batteries.  Hopefully you got a full refund on them.  We normally boondock and go 6-7 days with our two 12v batteries when night temps are in the 40's and the furnace is running a lot.  Also we do not utilize solar or generator.  Oldest battery is a 12+ year old Interstate group size 24 deep cycle, the newer one is a 3 year old Trojan T-1275 that gives 160AH.  Battery is changed when it drops to 12.2v and is then recharged as we travel.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Geezerbill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Geezerbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 10:27pm
I still have them. And the most recent trip they held up quite well. Although, we did not charge the iPad or Apple Watch through them. We also always are extremely careful how much power in the Rpod that we use. 

Years ago, in our Timberline trailer, two Interstate group 24 deep cycle batteries would last us two full weeks, again being extremely careful of useage. 
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 11:55pm
Question: Did you by any chance turn the TV's booster on? That would be a power draw that might help explain the power use during the previous trip. If it was really hot and the fan behind the refrigerator was running constantly, that would also use power. If you ran the vent fan, that is another draw. Do you have a clamp-on multimeter that can read DC as well as AC Amperes? You could use that to see what is drawing power. I have a Southwire one. It isn't as good as a Fluke one, but it is pretty good overall and much more affordable.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Geezerbill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Geezerbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 9:22am
Stephen, I removed the TV as neither of us wanted it as we very seldom camp with hookups. It was also over the dinette seat and alway hitting my head on it. The fridge fan does run quite a bit but not nearly constantly. We have. Or run the vent fan. So far only camping in National Parks with no hook ups. Thanks for the link to the amp meter. Will put it on my Amazon wish list….with a hundred other items🙄. 
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 9:26am
It will help you with trying to figure out what is using power. You can connect it and then pull fuses one at a time to  see which circuit is drawing power and how much. It is a good diagnostic tool.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply