R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Lithium battery installation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Geezerbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lithium battery installation
    Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 11:01pm
After having my two Interstate batteries die after five days of boondockimg in our 192, using only water pump and frig fan, along with the wife charging watch and iPad, I am considering a 200ah lithium battery installation. I am looking at the same unit that Stephan installed in his Rpod. 

I have checked on line and it appears that my original inverter/converter will accommodate the lithium battery. 

My question is: how is the best way to attach the needed long negative battery cable. Should it go all the way back to the red battery/on/off knob? If so will that on/off unit accept that size cable? Or what proper method should be used?

Thanks in advance,

Bill
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 7:20am
If you already have a battery cut-off switch, run the same connection, most likely positive, to it. The negative cable can be shorter and just go directly to the frame. If you look at your existing connections, they will be the same except you won't have a jumper between two batteries since there will only be one battery.

As for the converter, what model and is it labeled as having automatic battery detection for LiFePO4? 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Geezerbill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Geezerbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 3:05pm
Stephen, thanks so much for your response. Why in the world I didn’t think about grounding the negative to the frame is beyond me. I guess the 87 year old brain is worse than I thought. 

I have printed the owners manual for my converter. It clearly talks about auto detect of the type of battery installed and the differences of the charging method. It can charge up to 14.4V DC. That’s in line with the requirements for lithium batteries. I can not fine specifics in regards to the LiFe Po4 battery. 

The model of the converter is:   WF-8735-AD-GE

As mentioned at age 87 there is the pressing question just how much longer can my wife and I camp. It’s like having to give up backpacking. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT. Therefore I also need to consider that vs the cost to go lithium. It sure seems it would give a lot of peace of mind tho. 

Thanks again to your excellent insight. 

Bill
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 4:09pm
It sounds like you are all set converter wise. That makes it a lot simpler. The other consideration though is whether you want to take the trouble to install a DC to DC converter so your tow vehicle can charge the battery while you are on the road. If you are not going to be going any great distance, it might be optional. In our case, when we travel across the country, I need to be able to have the tow vehicle charge the battery.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179

Post Options Post Options   Quote Geezerbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 4:45pm
Thank you again Stephan,  I don’t think I’ll need the DC to DC charger as we don’t travel more than about 200 miles. 

The biggest question is the justification at my age. Also I am recovering from a hip replacement as I fell off the ladder onto our concrete patio. Therefore, I’ll await the decision until next spring and hope the price has dropped so,e more 😃. But now at about $550 it’s much lower than the dealer wanted a year ago at $1100. 

Thank you again,
Bill
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 7:16pm
Ouch! I hope your recovery goes well. At this stage, getting a small inverter generator to charge the batteries you have is likely a better option than trying to upgrade to an LiFePO4 battery.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179

Post Options Post Options   Quote Geezerbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 7:22pm
Yes I believe that’s a better choice. 

I was also wondering Stephan, my present OLD garage charger for my present Interstate battery’s would not be adequate for the lithium battery charging would it? It’s old one I got at Sears. I doubt it would go to 14.4 V’s. 
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 8:48pm
Quick answer on the old charger is no, it wouldn't be adequate. It was made for lead-acid batteries, and most likely flooded lead-acid batteries. Unless it has settings for AGM, Gel, or other types, it is meant for flooded lead-acid and possibly sealed lead-acid batteries only. Only if it has a specific setting for LiFePO4 batteries would it be suitable. The charging profiles are too different. For example, LiFePO4 batteries do not use a float charge.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179

Post Options Post Options   Quote Geezerbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 10:22pm
Exactly what I was thinking Stephen. Thank you. 

Bill
nicklee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote nicklee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2023 at 4:34am

You can buy smart battery like Renogy bluetooth smart LiFePO4 battery, It is convenient to receive energy reports.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>