R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

12volt TV replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote bgoff60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12volt TV replacement
    Posted: 12 Aug 2023 at 10:02pm
We currently have a 32" Connex TV in our R-Pod 202.  Looking to get something a little more updated and in the 'smart' line of TVs' A couple of quick and maybe obvious questions:

1. If we want to stick to 12 volt power source, it seems like 32" is about as big as you go...am I wrong?
2. If we got just a straight up regular AC (120 volt) TV then we would not be able to boondock - correct?
3. If we got a TV that was BOTH ac and dc, then if both power sources were plugged in, which takes priority?

Looking tor product recommendations and or thought on the above musings...

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2023 at 10:43pm
If you go with a 120V tv, you could use an inverter to power it. That would allow you to boondock. I don't know of any that are both AC and DC. If you find one, you would need to read the information provided for it to make that determination. Also, in answer to your first question, I don't know. I have not found any 12V TVs in any of the stores I have been to recently. 32" is the biggest 12V TV I saw on Amazon.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2023 at 10:57am
Well, of course you can boondock with a 120v TV.  You might not be able to watch it, but as Stephen says, all it takes is a small inverter.  You loose a bit of efficiency with an inverter, about 10% I think, but that's probably acceptable.

Tangentially, some sort of power replenishment option is a good idea for more than a couple of days of boondocking.  Solar or a generator...

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2023 at 10:58am
TVs these days can run on relatively low power. I would (perhaps) look for a low-power AC TV that you can run on a small inverter. Maybe also look for a 12VDC TV, and compare the options.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2023 at 11:49am
There is a T.V. called free signal, on amazon. I purchased it, but ended up sending it back. I mostly sent it back because the mounting screws were super tiny. The screws were number 8 screws (.164 diameter), and they only went about 4 threads deep. The connex t.v. I had (still have) had 5/16 dia screws, that go at least 1/2 inch or more deep. I felt that the free signal would fall off on the first bump I hit. It was only 28 inch, but was ac or dc, had a built in dvd player, and alot of other features. I just wasn't willing to mount it so dangerously.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2023 at 1:29pm
Seems to me that a 12vdc tv would work out best.  If you are in the middle of nowhere, then finding ac or consuming a lot of battery power for an inverter would would not be as efficient or easy.  If you had ac available, then there'd be plenty of 12vdc available for the tv.  If you had no ac, then there'd be problem running on the 12vdc system.  

But all that being said, if you're camping in the middle of nowhere, where do you find the tv broadcast signal?  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2023 at 2:35pm
There is another option, just for the sake of mentioning. I have a Jackery, and A/C power is no issue anywhere. It's basically a big lithium battery I think, with 120, or 12 V outlets. Depending on the size you buy, you could run the T.V. for awhile. Mine is a 1000 explorer (not sure what that means) and says it can power a t.v. for 13 or more hours without charging.  I use it alot for 1 night stays without power. It can run the t.v. the coffe maker, even the microwave. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
poston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2023 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

I have a Jackery, and A/C power is no issue anywhere. 

A "solar generator"   Tongue

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
 Post Reply Post Reply