R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

RV backup camera - options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote bgoff60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RV backup camera - options
    Posted: 29 Oct 2023 at 7:37pm
We have a 25' R-Pod 202.  Looking at backup cameras.  I know that the Furrion Vision S wireless is the 'go-to' recommendation.  Has anyone else had any good experiences with other brands that will still essentially mount onto the Furrion pre-wired mount that is there? 
Just wondering if the $480+ price tag is worth it or is a lower priced unit would be just as good.   
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2023 at 9:52pm
I have the Lippert Insight camera. The Grey Wolf I purchased in February came with it. It was supposed to be able to work with a smart phone. Up close, it might have, but not in the cab of the F-150. I purchased the monitor (actually a full set removed by someone else who upgraded from the Lippert Insight camera/monitor. My experiences are that the camera has a hard time communicating over the distance of the truck and trailer. I installed a higher gain antenna on the camera. It helped a little bit, but not much. I still have a picture that freezes up periodically and a signal that drops.

I can't say whether the $480 price is worth it since I don't know about the Furrion camera. I could not say whether it would perform better than the Insight camera.

This one seems to have good reviews on Amazon:
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 11:04am
+1

The issue is the distance and the number of obstructions. I would not have high hopes for a wireless camera to be reliable. Your best option is for a wired camera, despite the hassle of installing it.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Leo B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 3:06pm
We have the Furrion back up camera. Our Vista Cruiser was pre-wire for it, it was very easy to install. We really like it, it works great for seeing the traffic behind you and how close they are. It also lets my wife help direct me are I back into a site, because it has a a sound part to itso I can hear her directions.
Well worth the price!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2023 at 8:46pm
We tried a brand x camera from Amazon. It was okay but our new camper came with a Furrion and it is a whole different level. Easy to use and much better quality. Even the suction cup windshield mount is extra sturdy.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
john in idaho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote john in idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 10:16am
I have a set up I got a couple of  years ago that attaches to the license plate and works thru the c-phone.  It is just tooo slow to be useful.  Nothing beats a second person in the side mirror with tried and true hand signals.
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 11:07am
Our Amazon special was slow as well, but still useful. My wife is an excellent spotter, but sometimes I travel alone, so even a not-so-good camera is helpful. When traveling alone, I would set my yellow wheel chocks or better, my red Andersen jack buckets at the rear corners of where I wanted the trailer and with the aid of the camera, I was usually able to land it pretty much where I wanted it.

Like I said earlier, though, the Furrion is way better than the camera we got from Amazon.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 7:41pm
My wife is not a great ground guide for backing. The camera allows me to see what is back there without her having to be involved.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
bgoff60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bgoff60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 9:30pm
Any chanch you have a model number???
bgoff60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote bgoff60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 9:31pm
Any chance you have a model number???
 Post Reply Post Reply