R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

190C slide out question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave 316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 190C slide out question
    Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 8:21am
Hello all, New guy here.  I purchased a new 2024 Rpod 190C last week, went through the orientation and walk through and when I ask the person doing my walk through if there was a (slide out manual over ride) or a way to bring in the slide out in case motor failure, the guy looked at me like I had 3 heads!  

A little bit about me;  I'm retired military, 27 years and like to be prepared for any scenario if possible. 
My wife and I are new to the Rpod world, I'm a metals engineer so it's the reason/construction that drew me to the Rpod as well as size, it's just her and I. My wife will retire next spring and we got a good deal on this, (so we think) and decided to pull the trigger now instead of waiting till spring.  

Anyway, I've trolled the forum for a bit and there is lots of great knowledge here.  
If anyone could point me in the right direction,  I sure would appreciate it!  

Thanks all,
Dave Smile
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 9:12am
I have found 2 good youtube videos on the "Schwintek" slide out mechanics which I think your trailer has.  If you are not sure the manufacture of the slide out mechanics on your trailer, the schwintek system has a gear rail mounted on the top and bottom on each end of the slide out.  This first video has more to do with the mechanics and trouble shooting the system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxEYSstvICI then the second link has to do with the lubrications and maintenance of the system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxEYSstvICI .  I just checked both links and they both seem to work and seem to be current.  Hope this helps you.
Jay

179/2019
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 5:08pm
One of the slide motors failed on our 2016 179. If the slide is out, all you do is peel some of the weather stripping at the top corners of the slide back. You will see a bolt. Remove that and the motor body will have some play in it which will allow you to manually push the slide back in (you have to do that on both sides of the slide). Use a piece of 2X4 measured and cut to fit between the slide facia and the interior wall to hold the slide from sliding out when traveling. 

If the slide is in and it fails, you are going to have to remove the flashing on the slide to get to the bolts. Not optimal but there it is. I have seen some newer models with the slide motor bolt on the inside.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
Dave 316 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dave 316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2023 at 8:33am
Thank you both!!!  I'll do the digging, appreciate the links! Smile
timirey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote timirey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 12:51pm
I own a 2022 R202.  I have dual slide out motors which unfortunately failed this fall after the slide became crooked outbound and then inbound.  No amount of youtube video options were able to solve this.  After much debate of whether I thought I could do the repair myself I elected to take it to a dealer to do the work for me.  While handy, I felt like it was above my pay grade.  That said $2800 later I have a new system and more knowledge.  Things I was told by my dealer....unverified but they are supposed to be the experts, so do with this what you will.
1. The slideouts in question only work properly at 12.6V and higher....so
2. My dealer mechanic suggests shore power, generator power or fully hooked to a running car power to move slide out or in. Suggested not to trust the batteries along with solar to properly complete the task.
3. The slideout needs to go ALL the way out and then ALL the way in.  NEVER EVER part way as the motors count the revolutions and need the "bottoming-out sound" at the end of the slide to stay in sync.

This was a very expensive lesson and the initial walk through did not share this data with my wife and I during purchase.  Trailer has been owned 18 months, and has experienced 40 nights off the grid.
'19 Dodge Ram Laramie
'22 RP202
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by timirey

I own a 2022 R202.  I have dual slide out motors which unfortunately failed this fall after the slide became crooked outbound and then inbound.  No amount of youtube video options were able to solve this.  After much debate of whether I thought I could do the repair myself I elected to take it to a dealer to do the work for me.  While handy, I felt like it was above my pay grade.  That said $2800 later I have a new system and more knowledge.  Things I was told by my dealer....unverified but they are supposed to be the experts, so do with this what you will.
1. The slideouts in question only work properly at 12.6V and higher....so
2. My dealer mechanic suggests shore power, generator power or fully hooked to a running car power to move slide out or in. Suggested not to trust the batteries along with solar to properly complete the task.
3. The slideout needs to go ALL the way out and then ALL the way in.  NEVER EVER part way as the motors count the revolutions and need the "bottoming-out sound" at the end of the slide to stay in sync.

This was a very expensive lesson and the initial walk through did not share this data with my wife and I during purchase.  Trailer has been owned 18 months, and has experienced 40 nights off the grid.

Sorry about the expensive lesson, but thanks for sharing. I knew about #3 as this was emphasized a couple of times during our orientation. Not sure I agree with #2 only because I was meticulous about battery health. #1 makes sense.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2023 at 9:05am
Hmmmmm there is a controller that allows you to bypass the shutdown so you can synchronize the motors.  Pretty easy to set up the bypass if you have the manual for the system.....I think I posted it here somewhere.  I had a similar problem in there was a piece of the cabinitry that was restricting the slide out on one side.  Once I synchronized the motors it has worked fine for over a year.

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2023 at 9:31am
Synchronizing the Slide-Out Motors 1. Fully extend the slide room using the switch. Keep the switch engaged until the motors shut down on their own. 2. Retract the room 1-2 inches. 3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until both motors shut down at the same time. In many cases, two or three repetitions are necessary to synchronize the system. 4. Fully extend the slide-out and keep the switch engaged until the motors shut down on their own. Fully retract the slide-out, again keeping the switch engaged until the motors shut down on their own. If both motors shut down at the same time at full extension and full retraction, the room is properly synchronized. If they do not shut down at the same time, repeat the process until they do

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2023 at 9:33am
Electronic Manual Override (Controllers C-1 and C-2 Only) 1. Press the mode button (Fig. 22) on the controller six times and hold on the seventh for five seconds to enter electronic manual override mode. 2. Use the slide-out switch (Fig. 1) to move both motors in or out. Note: Over-current and short circuit detection are still enabled. Electronic manual override provides 12V DC directly to both motors. 3. To exit the electronic manual override mode, press and hold the mode button until the LEDs begin to blink simultaneously. Exiting the override mode resets the motor positions. Motors will have to be resynchronized
 Post Reply Post Reply