Topic ClosedCodorus State Park , Pennsylvania

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Codorus State Park , Pennsylvania
    Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 10:12pm
Well just starting to make my plans for the warmer weather.  Have just booked Easter Weekend (April 22-24) at Codorus State Park.  Anyone else looking to go to nice State Park here is a place.  They have a huge lake so I will have the Kayaks with me.

Codorus State Park , Pennsylvania

Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 2:54pm
Rpodcamper, what can you tell us about Codorus SP? We just made reservations for Labor Day WE. We've never been to Gettysburg, so figured it would be good place to stay. We're on the C loop - supposed to be shady. Any pictures? Thanks W&C
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 3:28pm
One of our favorite places to go in October, partially because our girls cheerlead in the area so it allows us to get some camping in, plus they have a huge Halloween bash at the end of the month.  The C and D loops become Trick-or-Treat central.  We got involved last year and will be back again this year - look for the R-Pod disguised as a huge Jack-O-Lantern (Podkin?).  I got a huge orange tarp and added a face with purple duct tape, the curved front of the 'pod was begging for it.

A quiet place to camp.  It has lake access for boating, several hiking trails, and a few cabins/yurts for those without campers.  There is an outdoor amphitheater but I haven't seen it used much.  Looking at this map:  http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/codorus/codorus_camp_pdf.pdf

Entering loop C from the bottom of the map, the loop is a counter-clockwise one-way.  You enter the woods before sites 144 and 81 so they are all in full shade, going all the way around until you exit the woods around site 124.  From there the sites on the inside of the loop (125 to 138) are on the edge of the woods so they have partial shade, the ones on the outside (126, 132 to 137) are in full sun.  I'm not sure about 139.  You are definitely back in the woods by site 140 at the end of the one-way.

All of loops A and B are in the woods, and all of loop D is out in the open.  D is where all of the50 amp big-rig sites are located.  I've never been down the road to the tent sites or the boat launch so I don't know what they are like.  I guess I need to get down there on my next trip!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 3:39pm
  I should add that there are several campgrounds right around Gettysburg (Codours is about 30 minutes away), but the two I've seen aren't as nice as Codorus.  The one at the intersection of routes 116 and 15 lets you hear all the traffic on 15 all night.  We were last there in a popup and I didn't get a good night's sleep, I'm sure it would be much better in the 'pod.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 3:50pm
Thanks for the update on the park, it sounds like a very nice place to camp, techntrek! (Just what do you tech?) I looked on the PA map for green and a campground, because we have found state and NF campgrounds to be to our liking over the years. So I didn't look for a commercial site closer to G'burg. Who knows where we'll be on Halloween...We'll be going to Cape Cod on our way to Maine in August- visit some family and see how things have changed again - spent many summers there as a child and until grad school - a long time ago! See you in August.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 10:44pm

Apologies to rpodcamper for jumping in, I originally was going to say a sentence or two but it ended up a full chapter!

Podsible, I think you made a good call considering its going to be Labor Day weekend.  I wouldn't expect a party crowd there especially since alcohol is forbidden (although one or two drinks are accidentally poured into a cup and then are accidentally enjoyed around my campfire when I'm there Ying Yang).

I've always been a techie, from teaching myself how to program when I was 12, to interests in all things electronics including building things many years ago.  I'm the guy that always has the bleeding edge cell phone (I've had one since 1994, way ahead of the curve) and for many years I had bleeding edge computers, too.  Not so much anymore because I work on them all day so I want cheap and trouble-free at home, but back in the day I built them from parts (when you had to know about IRQs and 10 megabyte hard drives were huge).  The trek part is due to backpacking and of course family camping since I probably won't ever get my wife to hike up a mountain.

See you in August, yup!

rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 9:43am

Above are some pics I took of site 104 which we have used many times.  I like having the water tower behind me then there is no one behind me.  sites are nice and shady in loops a,b, and most of c Loop D is all out in the sun.  They have a large pool (but we have never used it) and also large lake (26 miles of shore line).  I kayak so i love it!  Not too far from Gettysburg but alot nicer and quite than what you get closer.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 10:03am
I've never been to the pool either, I didn't know it was so nice.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 10:23am
Thanks, guys. Great photos, rodcamper! We're in site 93, so not quite as isolated to the rear of the site as thatr center is - hmmm,I wonder if we can change??
Techntrek, I almost started down the road of an elctronics geek after HS, actually signed up to take a course in 'fixed transmitter repair' in the army, but escaped and went to OCS. But went to biology in college, then got hooked and stayed on for a doctorate. Now I do international tech sales and design for a lab furniture company...the road bifurcates many times in that yellow woods! I was the first grad student at Arizona State to compose his dissertation on a computer (Apple II) and had to get special permission to have it printed on a daisy wheel printer from the computer instead of using a typewriter. Our first PC was a clone from a local home brew outfit with a massive 5 Mb hard drive. Now I create 100MB PowerPoint sales presentations!!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 11:21am
I'm enjoying reading your posts, guys.  When I have more time, I'll tell you about the days of old ..... before hard drives! LOL  Heck, even floppies! 
Heading out now for the Holiday weekend, as I expect many are.  I hope all have a safe and enjoyable time....Happy 4th! Smile

PS - Thanks for the pics, rpodcamper!  I'll do some more checking when I get back.  Doing a Smoky's & Shenandoah run this October and have a day or two left to plan on the way back home.  This place looks like it has potential! Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>