R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Tire Blowout - Event Date: 16 Nov 2023

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Brian Labor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Tire Blowout
    Posted: 16 Nov 2023 at 10:55am
We recently purchased a 2019 R-Pod 191 from a consignment dealer.  Although we purchased the unit ASIS we were told we had brand new tires except for the spare.  Well, they did have a brand new tire on the entrance side, which is the one most people (us included) would see and "assume"  the other tire was the same.
About a week ago, on the way back from a camping trip, the driver's side tire blew and took the fender with it, including the LED light and tore out the wires to the light.
When we finally got a guy to come out and change the tire and assist us getting back on the road, he pointed out that the tire that blew AND the spare tire were both manufactured in 2018, a year before the R Pod.  The tire next to the entrance was manufactured in 2023.

All done venting now.  
My question is:  Has anyone had to replace a fender on their R Pod, and if so, where did they get it?  I guess that's two questions.

Any help will be appreciated.
zzimmer3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote zzimmer3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2023 at 12:04pm
i have not personally bought a fender, but the person i bought mine from did (because of a blowout), he went through a Rpod dealer. I want to replace my other fender (just so it looks new and matches), and i googled Rpod dealers, i messaged them and they quoted me a price for one. it was $100 for the fender and $7 for the light (if i remember correctly), i haven't purchased it yet, though. 
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2023 at 2:31pm
I looked on e-trailer and they have both the rounded fender like the R-Pod or the "Jeep" look with the flat top and flat surfaces front and back.  The pricing is $75 to $85 and chancing the look (not matching) of the fenders you would have to get 2 new ones.
Jay

179/2019
Brian Labor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brian Labor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 6:12am
Thanks, Guys.  Both good recommendations.

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brian Labor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 6:18am
This incident posts another question.  What grade of tire is recommended for Travel Trailer tires?  A neighbor says he uses Light Truck tires and he has a big 5th wheel.  I've also heard that they make RV specific tires.  Any suggestions?
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 7:27am
ST tires specific for special trailer tires are much safer than your LT light truck tires, and for good reason.

Special trailer tires (ST) feature heavier constructions, wider and stronger belt structures, and more durable compound blends to achieve this. Their combination makes sure the ST tire does not deform under load pressure, increasing its load durability.

Additionally, the optimal tire shape, the firmer sidewalls, and their consistent surface contact allow the tow vehicle to have constant control over the entire trailer. This upgrades its handling and minimizes the possibility of the trailer swaying during its performance.

My current set (3rd set on a 2011 177) are Carlisle Radial Trail "D" load range.  Much more cost effective than the overrated goodyear endurance + the warranty on Carlisle is 2x longer.

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2023 at 8:12am
+1 with Jato I do not use LT light truck tires for the reasons stated by Jato also staying to the Load range "D" tire.  You would have to verify the weight of your trailer.  Hope this helps.
Jay

179/2019
zzimmer3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote zzimmer3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2023 at 2:09pm
i only use trailer tires. i had a bad experience with truck tires on a trailer. 

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brian Labor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2023 at 5:20am
Thanks for the information.  I have an order in with Discount Tires for ST "D" tires.  Just waiting on a phone call to tell me they have them in.  Again, thanks for all the help.

Post Reply Post Reply