R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: 179 Weight distribution / tounge weight/ sway issu
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

179 Weight distribution / tounge weight/ sway issu

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 179 Weight distribution / tounge weight/ sway issu
    Posted: 10 Dec 2023 at 12:04pm
The rule of thumb for tongue weight is 10 to 12 percent of the gross trailer weight.

For example, if your trailer is 3000 lbs, the tongue weight should be 300 to 360 lbs. Do not go below 10%, but it's fine to go over 12% up to the limit of the vehicle. I have the same truck and have never worried about it because it can theoretically handle up to 1000 lbs (but I've never gone that high). Our RP179 tows like a dream; no sway or control issues whatsoever.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Fireguyinfla View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Fireguyinfla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2023 at 6:49am
Somewhat new to travel trailer towing. Can someone please tell me what I should strive to keep my tounge weight at on the r pod 179? Loaded / unloaded / partially loaded. LP tank full or empty. I'm buying my own tounge weight scale. Thinking of using water in the tank which is located in front of the axle as ballast. Having occasional sway issues. TV is a 2015 f 150 crew 4x4 with trailer brakes and airbags, adjustable hitch. Always keep rig nice and level. No sway bars. Don't want to use them if I can help it. Warranty/ frame/ issues/ cost / hassle. I added a cargo platform to rear hitch of trailer. Carry a storage box. Reconfigured spare tire mount. Probably 80 to 100 lbs with box loaded added to rear of trailer. Anyone been through this? What does that tounge weight need to be at? Thanks
Jeffrey Harbuck
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12