R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Refrigerator gas operation help please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refrigerator gas operation help please
    Posted: 16 Dec 2023 at 8:02am
thanks for the encouragement JATO.
Yes, anything we put in will definitely operate on propane.  some of the newer models are 3 way and some just 2 way(AC/propane)
We almost always boondock, so propane is a necessity.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2023 at 10:13am
Originally posted by jato

+1  StephenH brings up a valid possibility.  At 8 years of owing our 177 we had issues that weren't as severe as yours (no popping or burping) but it would turn off and go back on.  The issue was a bunch of oily crud in the line between the regulator and the metal line that is at the front of the pod.  Funny thing is that both the stove and furnace still functioned normally, only the fridge was funky.  So the rubber line was removed and blown out as well as from the gas valve to the front of the pod where the rubber line screws in.  The regulator had to be replaced (cost then (4 years ago - $ 18). 
Excellent points. The fridge is the only device that uses a very low flow flame, and is then more likely to be affected by little obstructions such as the gunk in the gas line.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
poohbill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote poohbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2023 at 1:07pm
We had no luck finding a three-way replacement for ours, then it settled back down and worked as usual the rest of this year, so I quit looking.
2016 179 Gastropod
2017 Ridgeline
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2023 at 9:16pm
Electric can work, but only if an adequate battery capacity is there along with a generator or solar. That is what we have with the Grey Wolf--no propane. Given that propane never worked well for us, particularly in the summer heat, I don't miss it. I would take along a separate Free Piston Sterling Cooler which could reliably maintain cold temperatures for storing those things like meat which doesn't do well when the temperature in the refrigerator is higher than 40 degrees F. The compressor refrigerators for RVs are not like the ones in the house. They are much more energy efficient and able to reduce speed and energy use when not needed. They are not as good as propane for extended boondocking, but there are always trade-offs to be made.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Gebaldwin1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gebaldwin1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 10:30am
I experienced this exact same problem earlier this year on my 7 year old 180. Did extensive testing of the whole system including hooking up a manometer to measure gas pressure while burning. Popping was loud and frequent enough to keep you awake at night. In the end, it was the burner nozzle. Look closely at the flame openings in the burner tube. See attached picture of mine. you can see how the metal has failed around the openings and "balled up" widening the flame opening area. This reduces the gas pressure in the tube leading to the flame failure and popping. Once I replaced it problem gone and refrigerator performed perfectly. Very difficult & expensive to find in the states but found them available via eBay from UK.  Seller's name I used was guyuk10. My part number was:

Dometic/Electrolux Fridge Gas Burner Complete CBS2-DN65 289060497

Not a difficult fix. Let me know if you have any questions.

GMan
Lil' Bumpy - RPod 180
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 1:29pm
WOW, Great find Gebaldwin1 !!  I am seriously thinking about purchasing this kit to 'have on hand' as this is one of the first issues I have seen on older Dometic fridges.  My first one lasted almost 10 years but ended up 'fatal' as it had an ammonia leak in one of the lines and found out there was no way to repair that.  So my 'new' one is now 3+ years old, still young, but might be good to have either for myself or someone else who may end up with an issue like yours.  Thanks for the link and for sharing.  I love eBay way over Amazon as eBay almost always has free shipping, Amazon, you have to pay for it + Amazon's prices are almost always more expensive, at least for the items I shop for.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Gebaldwin1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gebaldwin1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 1:44pm
Just be sure to confirm it's the right one for you. Mine is a Dometic 8501 from 2016. There are a few different ones. you can see the orifice number 65 on mine.
GMan
Lil' Bumpy - RPod 180
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2023 at 11:36pm
Great, thanks for the tip!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 8:14am
Great info--THANKS!!!
I have talked to Dometic many, many times over this issue. The bottom line is that the part GEBaldwin1 has shown has been superseeded by Dometic.   The parts list for the RM8501 shows a completely different burner unit.  I questioned Dometic and here is the response

"Hi there Vann, thank you for sending in the pictures and information on your unit. I have reviewed everything and have found that your original part has been superseded. The part listed is correct and current however, it may look a tad different but will work and connect properly with your unit. I have provided some pictures below to show the part has been superseded and what the part looks like now.  The correct CURRENT part number is 2412802825.

Thank you,

Brittany Mackey

Dometic Consumer Service Representative"

As it turns out, we are going to make a change that we have talked about for a long time.

We are going to remove the dometic RM8501 and the microwave above it and replace it with a Norcold N4150.  The new fridge is 5.3 cu ft and is also a 3 way fridge.  it is 49.5 inches tall and will fit exactly in the same cabinet with some interior modifications.

I will post some pictures as we move forward with this project.

Thanks for all of the ideas and input-hopefully this will help someone else.

Travel often and safe

Vann

Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2023 at 8:15am
sorry the pictures from Dometic didn't show. I will try to get them to work
Vann

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>