R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

tire chains

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote campingtrio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tire chains
    Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 8:59am
Has anyone dealt with the issue of tire chains and the rpods?

We have a trip planned in a few weeks that involves going over a California mountain pass.  Normally it's clear in April but this year is a question mark.  If the highway patrol mandates chain control, we're not even sure what kind of chains we should have, or if chains even do any good on a towable trailer.  Or would we have to just cancel the trip?

Curious to hear about others' experiences

P.S. The tow vehicle is a 4wd with mud & snow tires.  So I think we're ok on that one, but just not sure about the trailer.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 9:55am
I (personally) would not tow in snow/ice conditions. The brakes on the trailer will be ineffective, and the tow vehicle will be compromised because of the additional weight/torque being caused by the trailer. 

I'd keep an eye on the weather, and plan to sit it out if conditions look like they're heading for chain control. CA mountain passes routinely get multiple feet of snow (a big one a couple weeks ago saw > 6' of snow in one storm). So I would wait for CalTrans to clear the way, or go a different way. 
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
James07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote James07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 1:40pm
We have friends who pull their travel trailer Idaho to Alaska every year.  They carry chains, just in case they get caught in a snow storm, but chose not to drive when it snows.
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 2:24pm
In California if a chain control is in effect, the tires on the drive axle of the TV and the tires on one of the axles with brakes on the trailer must have chains, even if you have aggressive snow tires.  [https://dot.ca.gov/travel/winter-driving-tips/chain-requirements#:~:text=All%20vehicles%20towing%20trailers%20must,tires%20on%20all%20four%20wheels.]  The idea of the chains on the trailer is to give it some braking traction.  I believe standard linked tire chains would work.  Personally, I would delay crossing the mountains if there was a high risk of chain controls being implemented.  While I lived in NV, I carried chains crossing the Sierra Nevada Mountains because even with a fair forecast, a sudden storm could pop up.  But that being said, I would not attempt to drive with chains while towing unless it was a matter life and death.  It's always better to just wait out the storm.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 12:08pm
Having towed through snow, I can say without a doubt I would never do it intentionally. Chains or no chains. It is not a pleasant experience. We've been caught off guard a few times; twice with the Rpod and once with our Escape 5.0 (its fifth wheel configuration was far more stable than the bumper pull Rpod). Each time the forecast did not call for snow. I will say, and I know many disagree, that having AT tires on the Rpod gave it better control in the snow especially when braking. We were running Falken Wild Peak LT tires at the time which have a 3 Peak rating.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
 Post Reply Post Reply