R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

LT vs ST tires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote James07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT vs ST tires
    Posted: 06 Apr 2024 at 11:18pm
My 2015 R-178 Hood River came with LT tires from factory.  Anyone know why the factory used LT tires instead of ST tires ??  This will be my second set of replacement and thinking about going to ST tires.  Any advantage or disadvantage going to ST tires ??  Mostly highway use.
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 6:34am
My speculation is that they used LT tires with aggressive mud/snow tread for marketing reasons; to make the trailer look like you could take it anywhere.  The problem with LT tires is that they have more flexible side walls than ST tires, allowing more trailer sway.  The reason for more flexible side walls it to provide a more comfortable ride in a passenger vehicle and more cornering stability.  That flexion is not helpful with a trailer.  There really isn't any off road advantage to the LT tires.  Since the trailer isn't pushing the TV in slippery mud or dirt, any additional traction provided by LT tires with aggressive mud/snow tread is not really advantageous.  If you are going so fast that the trailer is sliding in the curves, then the better choice may be to slow down some and allow the trailer to track easily behind the TV.  I suppose in some snow the tires might perform a little better with braking, but once it gets icy, that advantage is minimal compared to the traction gain with chains.

ST tires have really stiff sidewalls that give more ride stability, especially in the wind.  ST tires roll more smoothly with less tread squirm resistance and the tread deflects water well avoiding hydroplaning and giving a much more stable tracking behind the TV.  Additionally, the smooth low resistance rolling will give better gas mileage, since the TV doesn't have to work as hard to overcome the rolling resistance of the more squishy and tread squirming LT tire.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 9:39am
I agree with everything LA says here. I will add that LT tires "might" be cheaper than ST because they're made in higher quantities.

Given a choice, I would choose ST tires.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
James07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote James07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2024 at 12:06pm
Really good information.  Thanks.  I noticed that at our Northern California pod feast, most of the campers had ST tires.  Mostly Goodyear Endurance.  Some of the newer R-pods still have the LT tires.
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 8:27am
I'll be the dissenting voice on this thread. I did a lot of research on ST vs LT tires when I put new tires on our 179. Your options for the OEM 235 tires on the Rpod are limited in the ST category and I wanted to stay with that size. After consulting several tire shops that were well versed in RV and camper tires, I went with 10ply LT tires. LTs are run on premium campers such as Airstreams. If and ST tire exists in the size you are looking for, I'd go with that. FWIW, I went with Falken Wild Peak AT4 10ply.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2024 at 10:50am
Some things to think about when considering LT vs. ST tires:  When an LT  radial tires is rated as "10 ply" it doesn't necessarily mean that there are 10 plies in the sidewall.  They have an E load range capacity for use in a light truck, thus the "10 ply rating."  The sidewall flexibility is designed for the cornering needs of a light truck.  The higher the aspect ration is on a tire the more it flexes when subjected to lateral loads as in a high wind or a curve.  For use in a trailer one might consider using with an LT tire as low an aspect ration as possible.  ST tires are built from different and stronger components than an LT tire.  Here is an interesting comparison:  https://blog.coach-net.com/2021/03/03/st-vs-lt-tires-whats-the-difference/#:~:text=Because%20of%20the%20heavier%20construction,resist%20aging%20and%20UV%20rays.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
john in idaho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote john in idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 9:28am
I put load range E tires on my 179.  Would not go back. Much higher safety limits, no constant small sway in the mirrors, and no "squish" in the side walls (in the mirror) going over bumps such as the transition between road surface and bridge deck.  Was concerned that the 80lb pressure would make there trailer bounce and rattle but that just isn't a problem.  It just tows better.  
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2024 at 7:50pm
The original tires on our 177 were load range 'C'.  After 6 years they were changed out to Carlisle Radial Trail load range 'D'.  Both were ST flavor.  A world of difference in windy conditions as well a tracking down the highway, the 'D' was far superior in both aspects. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2024 at 7:57pm
We have had 2different R pods over the past 13 years and have gone through a lot of tires in the past.
We have had LTand ST models- China bombs and top name brands alike.
Once we tried Goodyear Endurance about 5 years ago, we have had no issues and are just about to replace them due to age.
They never lose air, have long tread life and have noticeably  stiffer sidewalls and weigh more than other comparable size tires.They are competively priced  and available in 235/14   
I have no problems recommending them and will continue to personally use them 
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
James07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote James07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2024 at 1:42pm
So, I learned that I've been running 6 ply (load range C) Toyo Open Country AT light truck tires on my pod.  Have been trouble free, including a round trip to Alaska over the pot holes on the Alcan.

However, with the info you all have posted, will be going with Carlisle Radial Trial or Goodyear Endurance both load range E special trailer tires.  Carlisle $135 and Goodyear $199 at Discount Tires.  Big difference in price.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>