Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Almost 15 year anniversary

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Almost 15 year anniversary
    Posted: 09 Jul 2024 at 1:24pm
Almost 15 years ago in 2009 I joined "the other" forum, and a few months later I became the lead admin on this forum.  I stopped participating full-time in 2017 due to a large kitchen remodel I was doing mostly myself, and then a divorce.  Life happens.  I've still stopped in from time to time to take care of spam and approve new members.

I'm now in a long-term relationship, and I introduced her to travel trailer camping.  She tent car camped in the past.  We bought a 30-foot 5th wheel camper and F150 pickup in September.  In anticipation of a 3-week road trip we then took in April to Texas to see the eclipse.  Life is good.

I have moments when I miss my old 171.  We were scoping out remote campsites at a state park on Sunday and our site options will be very constrained with our 5th wheel.  We would have more options with something like the 171.  But I was happy to get more room including a slide-out with my prior 26-foot camper for big 4-week family trips we were taking 10 years ago.  And our new camper is still fairly small as 5th wheel campers go, but also has plenty of room for the long road trips my girlfriend and I are planning on.  Life is definitely good.

I hope everyone is still enjoying their pods and podmods.  Big smile
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2024 at 8:37pm
Good to hear from you!  It definitely sounds like you're on a nice little upswing!

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote Leo B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2024 at 5:38am
Doug,
Great hearing from you!!Happy things are going well!

Take care

Leo B
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2024 at 11:00am
Great hearing from you and so glad you took time to let us know how you are doing. I often wonder about frequent posters who all of a sudden stop posting; Offgrid comes to mind. 

My wife and I moved on from our 2015/2016 179 about a year and a half ago to a small fifth wheel and a F150. 

So glad life is on the up and up for you.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Kawasaki KLR650
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2024 at 8:58am
Happy to hear that you are still RV'ing-even without the pod
I gained a lot of knowledge and info from you when we first joined in 2011. thanks for your time and continuing efforts with the forum.
It's still a great forum--with old and new members/posters
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2024 at 4:03pm
+1
We no longer have our RPod 179 either but are still enjoying travel with our Grey Wolf.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2024 at 4:50pm
Thanks for an update from the #1 ADMIN. on this forum for many years.  Great to hear updates on what is going on in your life.  Recently saw the advertising of the 2025 171.  I guess it will be good news for many yet I found 4 major "dealbreakers" IMHO. 
#1  front window,  I have heard of many complaints of this breaking, even when sitting still.  Has this now been remedied?  My parents had a 1966 Shasta with a front window; at least that company did its homework and placed a protective panel in front that would protect the glass from breakage while in travel mode.
#2  central vacuum Really?  For a 171 that has minimal floor space (like my 177) it would be quicker just to sweep up and throw it out the door.  I would prefer the extra storage space instead of a vacuum that isn't necessary.
#3  No slide - enough said on that one, ours has been flawless for 13+ years.
#4  120v only fridge.  I NEED PROPANE  I realize for most this will work nicely but for those of us that boondock for a couple weeks at a time where there may be no sun for the majority of the time, it won't.  My only option would be to purchase lithium batteries ($$$), yes, I know solar panel is included on the roof, a generator ($$$$) and then carry a can of gas for the generator ($).  Not a really good option for someone in my shoes.  I hope the 177 that has been so good to me since March 2011 will continue to be dependable as it has been.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote techntrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2024 at 9:24pm
Awesome to hear from many familiar people!  And happy to see that everyone is still camping.

jato I agree that several of those things are non-starters.  Especially the lack of gas operation on the fridge (what?!).  And give me a broom instead of taking up storage space for that vacuum.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2024 at 9:32am
Originally posted by jato

#3  No slide - enough said on that one, ours has been flawless for 13+ years.
#4  120v only fridge.  I NEED PROPANE  I realize for most this will work nicely but for those of us that boondock for a couple weeks at a time where there may be no sun for the majority of the time, it won't.  My only option would be to purchase lithium batteries ($$$), yes, I know solar panel is included on the roof, a generator ($$$$) and then carry a can of gas for the generator ($).  Not a really good option for someone in my shoes.  I hope the 177 that has been so good to me since March 2011 will continue to be dependable as it has been.

Add me to the list of folks that don't want slides. Even if they work flawlessly (our failed on our second trip and took two months to fix under warranty) you still have seals and maintenance. Personally, I'd rather not.

The 120v fridge is also a deal breaker for us, but unfortunately they are getting harder and harder to find. As a data point from the Escape forum where absorption fridges are no longer available, you need at the very least 200watts of solar and 200ah of lithium battery (400ah lead acid) to effectively run a compressor fridge and still have capacity and headroom for other electrical needs.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Kawasaki KLR650
 Post Reply Post Reply