R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

spare invertor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote zzimmer3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: spare invertor
    Posted: 30 Aug 2024 at 9:35am
Howdy all!!
     I was just curious what brand or where you would purchase a replacement invertor for your pod. I have a 2015 176T. nothing is currently wrong with mine, but my sister and her husband had problems last time they were out and ruined their weekend. i would like to carry one with me just in case. i found one for about $100 on the Amazon, does anyone have any opinion about a spare?  Thank you all for opinions and help. Smile
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2024 at 2:43pm
Just to be clear, are you talking about an inverter that converts 12v DC to 110v AC? Or, are you talking about your power center that charges the batteries when plugged into shore power and distributes 12v DC  to you lights and appliances?
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Kawasaki KLR650
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2024 at 6:21pm
My opinion. having had a converter fail while on a trip:  I think that it is like buying insurance for something that >might< happen, but is more likely not to happen. I did not have a spare converter at the time. I ordered from Amazon and had it delivered but was able to just use a battery charger to charge the battery until I got the new converter and got it installed. That is what I would recommend. That way, you also have a charger that can be used if your vehicle battery gets run down. Also, a charger will be about half the price of a converter that you may or may not need and will be useful for other use also.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
zzimmer3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote zzimmer3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2024 at 11:15am
   I'm talking about what takes care of powering the camper when i'm plugged in at the campground. would this be called the 'invertor'? 
zzimmer3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote zzimmer3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2024 at 11:20am
cool, i didn't really think about going that route if it failed. my sisters camper was dead dead. they couldn't even run on battery. my battery is brand new, so that would work well if i had a failure. 
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2024 at 12:53pm
No, that is a converter. Think of it this way. A Converter converts 120V AC and with a combination of transformers, rectifiers, and other parts, converts that to 12V DC. An Inverter takes 12V DC, chops it up and inverts half of those parts and then uses a transformer to turn it into 120V AC. Given that you do not have a newer RPod, yours is a Converter unless someone installed an Inverter along the line.

my sisters camper was dead dead. they couldn't even run on battery.

I'm wondering if there were other things going on there. If the converter had failed and the trailer were unattended with the battery connected, the parasitic power draw of things like the CO/LP detector or a TV antenna booster or a pulled breakaway cable plug which would activate the brakes could have run down the battery so that it was completely exhausted. In that case, the battery was likely ruined. This can also happen in storage if the battery is not disconnected either by a battery disconnect switch or by removing the battery cables from the battery terminals. The converter does not need to be bad for this to happen.

Edited by StephenH - 05 Sep 2024 at 12:59pm
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply