R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTow Vehicle Doesn't Charge Battery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow Vehicle Doesn't Charge Battery
    Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 10:47pm
So after much ado and five hours of a guy under our truck...we don't have a charge line for our RPOD battery. Long story on why that is but here is the question...how do we recharge the battery between trips to campgrounds? This is our first RV so we know NUTHIN'. I have searched and searched for the answer but just getting more and more confused. Someone take pity on me and get me out of this despair please.
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 12:15am
You will need a cable run from the Battery to the back of the Car.  Here are some instructions on the install.

It is not to hard of an install just takes some time.  Also some cars will already have the wire run back and you just have to install a fuse in the engine block.

What kind of car do you have?

HerbL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 11:31am
On our 2011 Silverado (with factory tow package) we needed to hook up two wires under the hood and add a 40 amp fuse to activate to battery charging feature.  If you ave a similar vehicle, Etrailer.com has a nice  video showing how to do this. Good luck.
marshwatcher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 2:34pm
We have a Ford Sport Trac 2002--oldie but goodie. We have the plug in with the just not the wire from the truck battery to the plug in. We can't see us doing a DIY on this because we don't have a good way to get under the truck and we are too old for crawling around under there anyway!!...Could someone advise how much it might cost to run this wire and can any mechanic do it? THANKS!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by marshwatcher

We have a Ford Sport Trac 2002--oldie but goodie. We have the plug in with the just not the wire from the truck battery to the plug in. We can't see us doing a DIY on this because we don't have a good way to get under the truck and we are too old for crawling around under there anyway!!...Could someone advise how much it might cost to run this wire and can any mechanic do it? THANKS!
I would think most any competent mechanic could do it.  It is just one wire with a 30 amp fuse or circuit breaker installed in-line.  I would also check with any hitch installers in your area.  Also, U-Haul does a lot of hitches and wiring.  It shouldn't take them more than an hour to do it (more like 1/2 hour).  Most could probably give you some idea of price over the phone.  I would "guesstimate" around $100 +or -total.  Personally, I wouldn't let them use anything less than #10 wire.  Good luck!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 6:52pm
I second everything David said - especially make sure they use 10 gauge wire not only on the +12 charge line but ALSO make sure your negative line running back to the Bargman is at least 10 gauge and I recommend making it 8 gauge.  That negative line carries all the current  that will be used by the brakes, running lights, brake lights, and anything running on the charge line (including charging the battery).  That current is split up among the various positive lines so they can be smaller, but don't skimp on that negative line.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply