R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDe-winterizing checklist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: De-winterizing checklist
    Posted: 14 May 2011 at 1:00pm
Water heater is located more to center of compartment, away from refrigrator wall. And the panel that covers it is bigger than 2'x2'
Remember when car hoods had a prop?
I was thinking on something that would not gouge into mattress. Do my best inventing when just about to go to sleep. As you said, something that can be blown up , like a big beach ball! Just use 2 times a year, so would not be a bother.Ouch
'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 1:53pm
I should offer the disclaimer that I have not actually tried the "inner-tube" scenario, but am confident it would work.  However, not knowing the particulars of the 171, I don't know how well it would work.  Like you say, most anything inflatable should work.  A good experiment might be to try a basketball, if you have one (I don't). 

I have listened to yours and HodgePODge's difficulties and will try to help.

Another option might be to move the water heater bypass valves to the storage compartment.  This would take someone with plumbing experience or several $$$$ to pay someone to do.
mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 5:23pm
HodgePodge. Do you have a basketball. If so, when you have time give it a try. I don't have one. I am not sure the beach ball idea will work, it might be to soft
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 9:59pm
Gotta get much higher than a few tubes or a basketball, to have room to work.  I like the lifting with air idea.  What about a half-dozen tractor tire tubes (foot wide each) stacked on each other inside a collapsible tube.  The tube could be 2 or 3 old pillow cases stitched together.  Might be a pain getting the tractor tubes all hooked up to one air hose.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 1:39am
Oh, my gosh, you guys have me laughing LOL so hard I'm about to cry!  The visions in my head go way beyond becoming a mere contortionist! 

All I have to say is are you all stark raving mad?  David -- buddy -- what in the world are you smoking?  And Tech, I live on a farm so there are plenty of tractor tires -- but I just can't picture 6 of them stacked under the bed in the RPod (and oh, Lordy, what WOULD my husband say! -- just a rhetorical question mind you).  What's REALLY got me worried is that I think you both are perfectly serious.  Well, that's the resourcefulness of pur Podder inventors for you!  And by the way Mountain Mist, I don't have a basketball -- sorry.

I have a much simpler idea.  The bed in my 5th wheel had storage underneath.  All I had to do what lift the foot of the bed (and yes, the mattress was on it), and it stayed up by itself.  So just tell me -- what kind of hinge do you think was used to do that?  Wouldn't somthing like that be MUCH simpler? 

2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 7:10am
I don't have the know how to pull the mattress out of the Pod in order to put a hinge on the back of the whole kit and kaboddle. I know that one of my motorhomes had bed understorage and was built on that principle, at the Factory. The rest did not have underbed storage, had disel pusher, took up that space.

I think we are all having fun just imaging what could be done by this point.
Bottom line is the way to get to the hot water heater, at least in the 171, was not thought out. This is not unsual in the RV industry. But they do other things ok for us, so we try to get ideas from others on how to make do. This is great place to get feed back. Might hit on a good idea out of foolishness, an example on earlier posts of how to get the mattress OUT of the Pod and I suggested chopping it up and tossing it out! Now can you imagine thatLOL But since I was coming UP from tent camping once again just to camp, the bed was not bad at all, and adding a memory foam pad improved on that. I am so sleepy at end of day when camping I could curl up on the floor with sleeping bag(which I did when I had the grands with me)and be happy.Tongue
I am sure I will come up with something less drastic since I want to be able to do this on my own. Did it for half of my married life while the hubby was flying the worldWink. Only needs to raised enough to get in under the mattress and slide the panel out, rest is doable.Will have figured something out this camping season when I am puttering around camp. I think the leaving out of screws will make it less time under the mattressStar, that was a good idea someone had and the information the panel did not just HAVE to be screwed down. Mine just happened to have screw heads not common, changed them.

'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Hodge-PODge

Oh, my gosh, you guys have me laughing LOL so hard I'm about to cry!  The visions in my head go way beyond becoming a mere contortionist! 

All I have to say is are you all stark raving mad?  David -- buddy -- what in the world are you smoking?  And Tech, I live on a farm so there are plenty of tractor tires -- but I just can't picture 6 of them stacked under the bed in the RPod (and oh, Lordy, what WOULD my husband say! -- just a rhetorical question mind you).  What's REALLY got me worried is that I think you both are perfectly serious.  Well, that's the resourcefulness of pur Podder inventors for you!  And by the way Mountain Mist, I don't have a basketball -- sorry.

I have a much simpler idea.  The bed in my 5th wheel had storage underneath.  All I had to do what lift the foot of the bed (and yes, the mattress was on it), and it stayed up by itself.  So just tell me -- what kind of hinge do you think was used to do that?  Wouldn't somthing like that be MUCH simpler? 

Sadly or happily (depending on one's point of view) I don't have to smoke or drink anything to be a little wacky.  The drug lords of the world make nothing from me. 

With that said, if I understand Mountain's problem correctly, she needs a solution that does not require any tools, special knowledge/skills or help from anyone else (and preferrably low cost).  A solution within these parameters is not easy.  The easy, most straightforward solutions (such as yours) all seem to require some amount the above.  Something like you mention could be accomplished by adding a piece of plywood or OSB with common hinges and the pneumatic lift struts; such was on the rear lift gate/door of my old 2005 Dodge Caravan.  One would only have to work out the correct mounting points for the struts.  Do do this, I believe one would need to remove the matress first - in order to have room to work.  My old fifth wheel had an arrangement similar to yours.

If I were faced with is situation, I would just re-plumb the water heater bypass valves to the pass thru storage compartment.  But, I have the tools and ability to do it and am confident it could be done for $25 or so, in parts.  Or, just do as Outbound.

Even easier still, just resign one's self to buying an extra 6 gallons of RV antifreeze and skip messing with the bypass entirely.  This is still way cheaper than paying someone else to winterize the unit.  However, one would need to go to extra measures to flush the system completely, in the Spring.

Even easier, easier still, just pay someone to winterize and de-winterize the unit. (Or, become friends with someone who is in good physical condition - able to manhandle the matress for you). 

In much the same spirit that you have tackled some of the storage issues in your Pod, with creativity and thinking outside of the box, many of us enjoy exercising creativity to try to come up with solutions to other issues that we or others may have.  What interests me in the situation is that there may be a few "challenged" individuals (due to handicaps/health/age, etc.) that may have similar problem(s) - and wouldn't it be great if a simple solution could be found?

Personally, I don't have problems with matresses because I look like this guy:

Though I do wear my hair a little differently.  I just pick my camper up and shake it until the matress falls out the door! LOL
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 7:32am
Originally posted by techntrek

Gotta get much higher than a few tubes or a basketball, to have room to work.  I like the lifting with air idea.  What about a half-dozen tractor tire tubes (foot wide each) stacked on each other inside a collapsible tube.  The tube could be 2 or 3 old pillow cases stitched together.  Might be a pain getting the tractor tubes all hooked up to one air hose.

Thanks Tech!  One thing that bothered me about the "inner-tube scenario" was that the tubes would likely want to expand along their circumference (less resistance) more so than up.  Does the matress really need to be raised 6'?  I wonder if there is some sort of "netting" material that would allow one to still access the schrader valves on the tubes.  That way, one could do one tube at a time.

Or, how about a canvas duffle bag with holes cut for the valves?Ying Yang
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 7:24pm
Okay y'all...I spent a couple of hours tossing and turning before I got to sleep last night puzzling this one out.  It finally hit me, 4-5-6, the golden triangle.
Here you go Hodge-PODge... a simple and fairly easy way to get to the plumbing center in a 171 or 177, altho it would work for other units as well. 
Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a pair of 1x4 boards, 6 feet long, quality is not a question - #2 is fine.  Tape a piece of cloth over one end (or use duct tape) of the boards -you want a smooth end so you don't tear up the mattress cover.  Slide one board under the mattress next to the shower stall and the other next to the frig in the 171 or 177.   Lift up one of the boards and rest the free end on the wall of the shower and the end of the other on the wall of the refrig area of the 171. On the 177 you will need to support the board on another piece of wood or a mop or similar support.  You now have raised the mattress to a level that you can work under it.  My pod -used one trip - already had the screw removed from the plumbing section cover, so it wasn't necessary to remove them or it - I only saw one screw hole in mine. 
You can now work in the plumbing area easily.  Don't worry, the plywood on the rest of the bed area will support you. 
I actually removed the mattress in our pod to the outside to sit it in the sun to freshen up.  It folds in half like a slice of white bread and is very light weight and although awkward because of its size, two people can handle it easily.
At six feet long you can store the lumber in the pod basement for next winter's explorations in the "plumbing zone." 
I have removed all the screws in the plywood supports for the bed.  They are fit together such that they don't move around and having them loose isn't a problem.  I don't know if I would do that if we were boondocking, but we plan to do mostly road work and developed campsites.
I hope this works for you.  I am always willing to discuss and change approaches.
-Walt
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 8:54pm
Hey Podsible Dream, I can actually PICTURE this working!  You're right about the 177 though -- you have a shower wall at one end of the bed but no wall space at the other end like the 171's fridge so you will have to use something else for a prop.

And I am in the same boat as Mountain Mist, trying to be able to maintain the Pod independently without having to ask my nearest and dearest for help.  He's tied up with plenty of other things as it is.  (And the problem with the hilarious tractor tires solution is that all the tractor tires around here are STILL on the tractors, of course, even if it WERE a feasible solution  Wacko).  

And David, I was just teasing.  Believe it or not, it IS obvious that you are wacky enough as it is without you smoking anything!  It's what makes you so -- shall we say -- "entertaining?"  And you and Techntrek -- who knows, either or both of you may patent one of your inventions one day.  I wouldn't be the least surprised.

Rest assured, I am POSITIVE that Mountain Mist and I will use our resourcefulness and "creativity" (thanks, David!) to solve this before time for winterizing again!Ying Yang

Oh, one other thing -- just checking -- you've reassured us about the hairdo, but the other thing -- tell us you AREN'T green, are you David?

2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>