R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDe-winterizing checklist

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: De-winterizing checklist
    Posted: 15 May 2011 at 9:19pm
Well, I for one plan to haul out of here tomorrow and get myself a couple of 1x4x6's. I checked my basement and nothing fits the bill, but lots of smaller and bigger.
Since it does not have to be used but 2 times a year it will store well in my garage.

None of this seems screwy to me, I raised a couple of engineers and one of those loves to invent, I should have put this to himLOL

'11 Forest River r.pod 171
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Trudi and Austin mini-schnauzers
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 10:45pm
Atta Girl, Mountain Mist!  And I'm right behind you.  NOW it sounds simple when you think about it -- thanks Walt (Podsible Dream)!
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

mountain mist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 6:32am
I am going to do some measuring this morning to see if a 6' length will even go into the Pod and make the turn down to the bed.Cry
If not, I will measure for a 5' going in there.

I am lots of shorter lengths stored in the basement, several  that might give me a start to what will work length wise.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
change here, Trudi has gone, Austin now has a small black schnauzer buddy, Bentley
ToddsPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 6:57am
Originally posted by mountain mist

I am going to do some measuring this morning to see if a 6' length will even go into the Pod and make the turn down to the bed.Cry
If not, I will measure for a 5' going in there.

I am lots of shorter lengths stored in the basement, several  that might give me a start to what will work length wise.

I should think you'd have no problem getting a 6' 1x4 into the 'pod. At the very least you could stand it on end.

'07 Dodge RAM 1500 ST Longbed QuadCab 4.7L V8 --- '10 Forest River R-Pod 172
Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 6:59am

Mountain Mist - it shouldn't be a problem - I'm 6 ft 1 inch and walk down the hallway without a problem. Wink  A six foot piece goes all the way to the back and is braced on the back wall.  A shorter piece would only rest on the plywood bed panels and might slide.  Wouldn't want you to have to crawl out from under the mattress... I'd lose a lot of credibilitySmile

Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 7:05am
Oh, and I didn't put this in, but someone mentioned it earlier:  You will want to raise the miniblinds and ease the end of the mattress past the little plastic angle hold-downs so they don't tear the mattress cover on the ends. 

Have fun in the 'plumbing zone'!!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 7:14am
I should wait until I am awake and check my wording. I AM of short lengthBig smile but I am not of the lumber.

Thanks for definding "independant maintainace". Have been doing that for a least 31 years of our 50 years together. It was a must, life has a way of showing up when hubby was gone. So, I wish to be able to do more and more of the Pod, had to learn my first short season last year to hook and unhook it and even pull it. Maintaining it goes hand in hand with that. I think most males take that job on and have the know how (I know men who don't know anything about repair and maintainace and were stunned I took over when I had toLOL
It may be hard to get the mind wrapped around not wanting to camp at all. And I have friends that would not begin to camp, anything beyond a motel room is out of the question.  After many years of it , this is my hubby. He has been most generous to set me up in a Pod and a vehicle that can handle pulling it. Then I think he has stepped back to see what I can do and danged if I am going to fall on my faceAngry
I can learn, but somethings , like strength, do help. In leu of that I have to invent ways to do the same thing. Which truely gets him into a StarStar  since he is a OCD. And sometimes they do not want to let go and not do it themselves----don't learn that way.
So, I solve problems, with help from the generous people on this forum. To think of pushing a tractor inner tube down that wee hallway in the Pod had me chuckling. They use those things for floating down the river here with builtin platform!Thumbs Up Talk about a Rube Goldberg to turn a valve.

'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 7:24am
Thanks Podsible Dream. I took the advise about pulling the blinds when I got under the mattress to hold it up while the hubby worked on the valves.
Last season when making up the bed I got the mattress up trying to fit a pad on itConfused, learned 2 good lessons on that. Don't get tight about having tight bed covers AND unless you want to be found under the mattress a day later, stay out from under itStar It must have been 95 degress in the Pod and I found I was not able to push myself out from under it when it desended AND my little dog thought it was play time!

A book could be written with the collections of stories from POD people.
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Podsible Dream

Oh, and I didn't put this in, but someone mentioned it earlier:  You will want to raise the miniblinds and ease the end of the mattress past the little plastic angle hold-downs so they don't tear the mattress cover on the ends. 

Have fun in the 'plumbing zone'!!

Thanks for helping the gals, Podsible!  I was confident someone would come up with a solution; if the topic were kept alive and talked about.  All it takes is the right person, with the right perspective to see what others can not, sometimes.   

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2011 at 1:34pm
Now have the lumber, need to pad ends, then will give it a try.
And further feedback.
 And I understand what was said about not having shorter boards, got the 6' ones
'10 Ford Edge
ESCAPE POD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>