R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSewer hose

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sewer hose
    Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 7:38am
I bough tthe stock sewer hose container at Camping World
It fits from frame to frame underneath the pod.  Very easy mod and works great. I sprayed it black and you cannot see it underneath the pod. Just another idea.Smile
tdrace's
2018 180
2010 FORD F150 V-8
equalizer e-2 hitch
Sisters on the Fly #1569
marshwatcher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 10:30am
We are new to this too and are concerned about the stock dump hose. I found the option below. Does it sound like it might be an option for the Pod? It seems to really compact down to a relatively small length.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-toilets-tanks/dominator-sewer-hose.htm

I would be grateful to hear from any of you experienced RPoders who have mastered the dumping process as well as bought different sewer hoses.

Thanks!
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 11:17am
If you want one of the mega-tuff hoses, then go ahead; frankly I think they're more for permanent sites where the hose sits in the sun all summer long and is occasionally rammed by a lawn mower.

A standard RV sewer hose is just fine for 'podding.  Don't worry: it won't rip open and spill sewage everywhere.  And don't let that scene in RV with Robin Williams scare you.  Life does not always imitate art.  Personally, I use a Camco heavy-duty sewer hose that I bought at WalMart.  They're inexpensive enough that I replace mine every year as they get dirty/grimey/smelly.

Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
marshwatcher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 5:47pm
Outbound,
Thanks for your quick response. We are actually concerned about the length (don't want to struggle to get close enough to the dump station) more than the durability and also would like compactness for stowing it away. However, I did love RV with Robin Williams and had forgotten about that scene until you reminded me...gotta love the hyperbole! Sounds like a DVD that needs to go in the RPod!

iamsmonk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 9:52pm
I am amazed at the wealth of information I've gotten from this forum.  This morning I read about the sewer hose container that came open while traveling and the lost sewer hose on the interstate.  I looked at the door where my sewer hose goes and noticed a couple of holes on the latch area.  I now have a cotter pin in those holes so that I don't have the same experience.  It's nice to learn from other peoples experiences (misfortune!).   Last year while in route to the campground, the exterior refrigerator door blew off our pop up.  Got to the campground and noticed the ugly gaping hole exposing the backside of my fridge and was just sick.  Called Forest River who also made our Palomino Pony pop-up and they shipped me a new one.  As soon as I got it I used cable ties to secure it to the camper.  When we brought the pod home that was one of the first things I did to it as well.  I looped cable ties through the top holes just inside the doors and through the slats of the door itself.  Now if the doors are not secure and slip off while traveling, the cable ties will keep them attached to the camper and I'm more likely to see it dangling in my side mirror.  Hope someone can use this info like I used the info about the sewer hose door!
Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Jay & Tanner
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177

Let's go camping!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 7:03am
While I haven't done this mod yet, I'm thinking along the lines of tdrace - a 6" pipe, running the width of the camper.  Back when I had  a 5th wheel, it had the square rear "bumper" which doubled as storage for the stinky slinky.  It had room for both a 10' and a 20' slinky.  The 10' I kept on the dump outlet side.  The 20' I "loaded" into the opposite side - for those rare occasions.  I haven't yet encountered a dump station where 10' wasn't long enough.  However, I have encountered full hook up sites where the longer hose was needed.

I agree with Outbound, the cheaper hoses are just fine for routine dumping and even those can last for years. 

I like to keep on hand a good supply of the inexpensive rubber gloves (the kind that doctors and nurses use) and discard them after use.  I dump the black first, and then the grey (to kind of wash down the black).  I follow this with a good rinse of the hose, in and out, with the clean water supply that is always there.  Being considerate of the next camper, I rinse down the entire area to clean up any random drips that may occur.  Lastly, I put 2-3 gallons of water in the black tank, along with the chemical.  The "sloshing" of road travel helps keep the tank clean and eliminate odors.
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 10:18am
Originally posted by iamsmonk

I looped cable ties through the top holes just inside the doors and through the slats of the door itself.  Now if the doors are not secure and slip off while traveling, the cable ties will keep them attached to the camper and I'm more likely to see it dangling in my side mirror.  Hope someone can use this info like I used the info about the sewer hose door!

Good idea on the fridge doors, I think I'll add some safety cables to mine before our first trip.

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
drdrew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 4:58pm
Hey camper gurus, another sewer hose question.    I notice our hose has a fitting to the camper and the opposite end bare. Then i have seen some "kits" that have like an elbow and a "cone shaped" thing on the far end...so, i have decided to go for the walmart 8 dollar 20 footer, but i am guessing it is also bare on the far end. So, the 2 questions are: 1) do i NEED a far end adapter? 2) do i WANT a far end adapter? :)
172T
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 5:23pm
The right angle fitting is nice because it gives you something to step on while you're dumping the dootah. The cone thing isn't needed to dump the tank, but if you're going to be somewhere for a while and want to semi-permanently connect the sewer hose it would come in handy.

.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by HuronSailor

The right angle fitting is nice because it gives you something to step on while you're dumping the dootah. The cone thing isn't needed to dump the tank, but if you're going to be somewhere for a while and want to semi-permanently connect the sewer hose it would come in handy.

I wholeheartedly agree with HuronSailor. This is what I use. To me, it or something like it, is a must have.

2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>