R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedyes! another question!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: yes! another question!
    Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 5:04pm
what kind of day would it be without a question from me????

which switch for electric water heater?   interior or exterior?

in other words....how do i turn on the electric water heater instead of propane?
172T
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 5:11pm
Believe it or not, the switch for the electric heater element is only accessed from outside. Remove the exterior access panel and you'll find a small rocker switch tucked up in a corner. I hear they sometimes have a tiny cotter pin through them to keep them from being turned on by accident. Mine did not.

One of the first mods I did to our 172 was add an interior switch with a pilot lamp for the electric element.

And just in case you were wondering, you can indeed run the gas and the electric at the same time for super fast recovery times - if you want.

Don't be shy, we love questions, ask away.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
drdrew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 5:13pm
so to go all electric i simply ignore the interior switch and at set up i turn on the exterior?  is it okay to leave it on for a few days in that position?  should i be sure to run some water into the heater by turning on the hot faucett before i turn it on?  should i only turn it on when i am going to use hot water?
172T
drdrew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 5:15pm
and the reason for all the questions is my maiden voyage is in 11 days!  so i am checking and using all systems right now to work out bugs before i go :)
172T
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 5:37pm
Yes, to use electric just ignore the interior switch. You should most definitely be sure you have water in the tank and open the faucets to bleed out the air before you turn on the power. 
You know about the bypass valves used for winterizing, right? The top and bottom valve handle should be in line (open) with the hoses, and the middle valve handle should be at a right angle (closed) to the hose.

You can leave the exterior switch on as long as you're sure the tank won't run dry. I understand it only takes a few minutes to burn the element out if it becomes exposed to air.  I usually turn my interior electric switch off when we break camp, and then after setting up again, make sure there's no air in the hot water lines by running the faucets briefly before turning it back on. So far, so good. 

Man, I'm jealous. I won't even be able to uncover my pod in 11 days. I doubt I could get it out of the side yard without burying my truck right now. Have fun.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by drdrew

what kind of day would it be without a question from me????

which switch for electric water heater?   interior or exterior?

in other words....how do i turn on the electric water heater instead of propane?

Cannot quite see the switch in this picture, but it is just to the left and behind the venturi looking tube.

2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
drdrew View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 6:16pm
thanks guys once again
172T
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 10:35am
If you run electric and propane together as HuronSailer suggested, one nice feature is the cut-off temps for both are different.  The electric is set slightly higher so it will maintain your tank temperature all day, but when you jump in the shower the propane will kick in along with the electric.  I did this last year for our week at the beach and only heard the propane burner start up when we were showering or doing dishes.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 10:57am
When we are hooked to electric  for more that one night, I just turn the electic switch to the on position outside and then use the breaker on the inside to start the hot water tank and turn it off when we are finished with the hot water. We do not leave the hot water tank on if we are not using it all the time. I always leave the breaker in the off position so I never start the tank empty.
     Goose
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Goose

When we are hooked to electric  for more that one night, I just turn the electic switch to the on position outside and then use the breaker on the inside to start the hot water tank and turn it off when we are finished with the hot water. We do not leave the hot water tank on if we are not using it all the time. I always leave the breaker in the off position so I never start the tank empty.
     Goose

That's a great idea; I'm going to start doing that. Thanks!!
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>