R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFlush King

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flush King
    Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 6:04pm
Has anyone used a Flush King device? If so, wouldn't it take a long time at the dump station? I have visions of many angry looks while others waited for you to flush/fill and then flush out again both black and grey water tanks. Or am I missing something here about its operation time?

Second question, hope this isn't a really dumb one but here goes....don't you have to attach your dump hose first to black water tank, dump it and then do the same for grey water tank? The two tanks are not linked in any way are they? Remember---we got no instruction at the dealership
iamsmonk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 8:23pm
Marshwatcher:

Yes, it's better to dump your black tank first, then the gray tank.  The gray water will help flush out the sewer hose after the black tank flush since our tanks are not connected.

My boss has the Flush King device and swears by it and keeps telling me I should get one.  I have 2 problems with that.  First is that most of the campgrounds I visit do have a hose at the dump station for water but there's never a "screw end" on it to screw it into the flush king.  It's also not practical for me to hook up my own hose at the dump station since that is difficult as well as time consuming, still causing a traffic jam at the dump station.  If you have the means to flush out the tank at home or if you usually camp with full hookups (sewer hookup) I would say get the flush king simply on my boss' recomendation!  My second reason for not getting one yet is that our 2011 177 came with the black flush connection installed.  I don't really understand why they mounted it on the front of the pod, except that is's closer to the actual tank.  I would never dream of using that at the dump station but think it would be great if I had a site with sewer connection.  And living in the middle of the forest I have the ability to flush my tanks really well at home!

Hope this helps!
Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Jay & Tanner
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177

Let's go camping!
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 11:12pm
Yes, if I'm waiting in line behind you at the dumpstation and you're fiddling around more than 10 minutes, I'll be stepping up and asking if I can help you so that move along more quickly.  Fiddling around with tank washers when there's a queue is very rude.

'Round here (Ontario), the hoses at Provincial Park dumpstations have backflow preventers and no threads.  Its quite difficult to rig one up to work with a tank washer.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 4:50am
I like to keep on hand a good supply of the inexpensive rubber gloves (the kind that doctors and nurses use) and discard them after use.  I dump the black first, and then the grey (to kind of wash down the black).  I follow this with a good rinse of the hose, in and out, with the clean water supply that is always there.  Being considerate of the next camper, I rinse down the entire area to clean up any random drips that may occur.  Lastly, I put 2-3 gallons of water in the black tank, along with the chemical.  The "sloshing" of road travel helps keep the tank clean and eliminate odors.

I cut/pasted the above from one of my previous posts.  I have yet to have any problems using this method.  While the devise of which you speak probably isn't going to hurt ( can you get something "too clean"?), I agree with the others.  If there is a line at the dump station, I'll even do my last step, after pulling forward - to allow the next person in line to get going.  I dump the chemical in and then fill the toilet bowl 2-3 times, flushing each time.
Bigbit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 9:12am
One other tip for marshwatcher: if you're at a site with full hookups, leave both valves closed (particularly the black) and only dump tanks when you are at least 2/3 full.  You want to build up the waste with water and give it a chance to break down a bit, and then when you open the valve when you get near full, you'll get a strong outflow that will carry most/all of the solids away.  

If you leave the valve to the black tank open all the time, the liquids will drain off and the solids will collect at the bottom of the tank, eventually forming what is called a "poop pyramid" which is very difficult to get rid of.

Apologies in advance for openly discussing a disgusting subject, but if you don't read and learn, you'll have far more disgusting things to deal directly with.

I agree with those above who state dump black first,  then grey.
marshwatcher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 10:00am
Many thanks for the replies. I think my logic served me well....the Flush King might be a good thing to use when there is time but with people waiting, it would be too time consuming!

Part of the problem is trying to visualize the set up of the dump station since we have never seen/used one. Trying to figure out what is essential equipment, the quickest set up of that equipment, the most efficient use of that equipment will take a couple of completed dumps!

Outbound, if you were behind me in line the first time, I would welcome your help and promise NOT to use a Flush King!
AvalancheRpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 10:51am
What I'd like to know is how long do I have to keep the toilet lever pulled to get 2-3 gallons of water into an emply black water tank?

I like the idea of emptying both tanks at the dump station, pulling ahead so as not to hold up the que and then dropping in holding tank chemical (whether liquid or tablet) and 2-3 gallons of water in the black tank to slosh around on the way home. 
2010 Avalanche and 171
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 11:07am
Originally posted by AvalancheRpod

What I'd like to know is how long do I have to keep the toilet lever pulled to get 2-3 gallons of water into an emply black water tank?

I just fill up the toilet bowl with water, add liquid chemical and then flush it down.

Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2011 at 2:21pm
To add what Bigbit said, you can leave the valve for the gray tank open since it will otherwise fill up quickly with showers.  Just be sure to close it in the morning before you need to dump your black tank so it will fill up.  Then you can dump the black tank after showers are done, then the gray, and leave it open again.  Close again the morning you are leaving so it will fill up again before the final dump cycle.

We will add the chemicals with the toilet valve open, because they tend to stick to the sides.  Then we'll do 2 or 3 full toilet bowls of water.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Hawkeyes View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2011 at 10:22pm
I have a question for David.  After you pull forward and put in chemicals and water and let that slosh on the way home, do you leave that in the black tank for the next time you camp?
Hawkpod
2013 Surveyor Sport 189
2017 Chevy Silverado
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>