R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFlush King

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flush King
    Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 4:39am
Originally posted by Hawkeyes

I have a question for David.  After you pull forward and put in chemicals and water and let that slosh on the way home, do you leave that in the black tank for the next time you camp?
Yep, Hawkeyes, that's what I do.  About the only time I want my black tank empty is when I winterize
(see Bigbit's and other's comments).  The concept is that you want anything that may have remained in the tank after dumping to "liquify", or turn to "soup".  The chemical takes care of any potential odors and helps to clean the tank.  Personally, I like the blue liquid chemical.  The blue powder works well, but usually sends me running for fresh air in a hurry.  The "natural" chemicals are OK but, don't seem to work as well.  As an added bonus, I am already prepped for the next camping trip (black tank - wise).

As long as we're on the subject, choice of tissue helps.  It is best not to use the fluffy 2 ply or anything with lotion, etc., as it breaks down more slowly.  If not using the special "RV tissue", go for the cheap single ply stuff. 

Though probably obvious to most, it may be worth mentioning to put nothing in either the black or grey tanks that you don't have to.  They are not intended to be garbage disposers or trash cans.  If you can't imagine it dissolving readily in water,  then take it to the dumpster (we won't go into graphic detail Embarrassed).

Those few, simple 10 minutes at the dump station are the only "maintenance" that I've ever had to do on waste tanks.  If done on a routine basis, that's all we should ever have to do.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 10:15am
I should probably add to my above post and note that it is possible to start getting bad odors from the grey tank.  I speculate that this is primarily due to cooking grease (rancid grease smells really BAD). Suppliment this by the accumulation of bath soaps, hair conditioners, oils, lotions, make up, etc. (let's see if I can get the gals riled up this morning) - most common to the fairer gender - so they can look and smell good while they are chastising those of us who belong to the less fairer gender, when we do things which may not readily seem as though they were particularly well thought out.  For example; pouring 2 quarts of charcoal lighter along with a generous amount of Coleman fuel on some stubborn wet firewood - and then flinging lit matches in that direction.  The resulting fireball/plume resembling the campsite having taken a direct strike from a Hellfire missle.Embarrassed  "I was just trying to get the fire going, Dear?!)
This is not to say that I have ever done anything like that however, camping with/near me is usually "adventurous".

Anyway, there are commercial chemicals/treatments for the grey tank, should this become an issue.
Goose View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 12:13pm
  I read on one of  the posts here before we bought our POD about installing a Tornado in the blackwater tank and thats what we did. It works great with out dragging a hose into the POD, but have never had to stand in line at a dump station. I also read on here about using Murphy's Oil Soap in both tanks after dumping them. Between the Tornado to flush the tanks and the Murphy's to keep stuff from sticking we have not had and issuses or odors.
                                           Goose    Big smile 
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 1:59pm
I do much the same as David and also have clean, trouble-free tanks.

I like the Camco Orange Power toilet treatment; its biodegradable and I find it works well.  It does only last for a week tho, so not only do I add some to the black tank at the end of a camping trip with a few gallons of water, but I also add some more at the beginning of the next camping trip.  Its a small price to pay for being green(er).

I strongly agree with "put nothing in either the black or grey tanks that you don't have to."  Before washing dishes, everything is scraped clean into the garbage and, if there is pasta sauce or pancake syrup or something similar, wiped down with a paper towel before going in the sink.  When draining the sink, I just unscrew the stopper a turn or two, leaving the strainer in place to catch any food particles; whatever finds its way into the strainer is also dumped in the garbage.
< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 5:34pm
[QUOTE=Outbound]

I like the Camco Orange Power toilet treatment; its biodegradable and I find it works well.  It does only last for a week tho, so not only do I add some to the black tank at the end of a camping trip with a few gallons of water, but I also add some more at the beginning of the next camping trip.  Its a small price to pay for being green(er).

That is what I noticed about the "natural" product that I tried (not Orange Power) - it seemed to last about a week- at least as far as odor control is concerned.  The blue lasts longer, but I know there has been a debate raging about it/formaldehyde (spelling?). 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12