R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShuttle Launch (updated with pics)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Snowbound View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shuttle Launch (updated with pics)
    Posted: 26 May 2011 at 12:33pm
Many years ago my husband was being interviewed for a great position . He got the job because he knew enough to put his napkin in his lap.  Knowledge of etiquette can certainly pay off.  Good for you for thinking of it.
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 10:33am
That's my kind of field trip!
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 10:13am
I agree with both of you Snowbound and Hodge-PODge.  I've seen both ends of the homeschooling continuum.  

I think that at the end of the day good teachers know how to seize a moment and can make something educational and memorable, just like what you did Snowbound in how you taught your children about the Panama Canal.  I would have found a lesson like that to be so interesting.  Big smile

I'm in the process of working with the College of Business to develop a section of the public speaking course that I supervise and tie it to a business ethics class.  When I was meeting with my other half in COB, we were talking about taking a field trip to Chicago to visit the Chicago Board of Trade and the Mercantile Exchange to expose freshman to the ethical issues surrounding commodity trades.  Since we know that we will have to feed them afterwards, we wanted to find some way of making even that part educational, so we're trying to hook up with a culinary school in the city to do an etiquette luncheon with them before driving back to the university.  It was fun for us to sit down and plan this yesterday.
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 8:57am
One thing I always have liked about kids who were homeschooled well, is their ability to think outside the box and see the world in a different way.  I would say you did something right! 

And just like you, I know children who were homeschooled who are barely literate today.  I think you have to homeschool for the right reasons -- meaning you still want your children to be educated, but you choose to educate them in a non-traditional way.   Sounds like you did a great job to me.
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 1:43am
Actually our kids were in public school and we took them out because the teacher was playing baseball instead of finishing the math curriculum.  A couple of years later he was fired and went back to plumbing!
My husband's sisters are teachers and were a bit shocked when we home schooled but the boys and I loved it. They asked if we could start school earlier in the day so they could be finished sooner so we started at 8 a.m. instead of 9 and since we were usually finished right after lunch, otherwise known as home economics, they had the afternoon for ski lessons, golf lessons, swimming, pottery and music lessons. Somehow they did not think of those as learning, just fun.Thumbs Up
 One boy went to university and got his B. Comm. and is now a branch manager of his firm and the other went to technical school and is lead technician for a company that installs and maintains telephone systems. They are both happily married with families, living in houses they own. I'd say we did something right. On the other hand I do know a few families who IMHO made a mess of it. Kids have no reading skills, no ambition and no self-discipline leading to no future.  It IS work but I would not trade those years for anything.
Regarding the movie, I've always wondered why it did not make a bigger hit. It had good acting, good plot, even good scenery...
B

Tom and Bette

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 8:36pm
Snowbound,
Some teachers are hostile to homeschooling, but I think it can be done well, and for the most part I commend parents who take that responsibility.  I have a very good friend who homeschooled her 2 daughters and made sure they took the yearly state achievement tests so they would have those records when the girls went to college.  In public school classroom management takes up a lot of time in the day.  Homeschooled students can get the same amount of work done in 2-4 hours that takes a public school student all day long.  But I also know some people who have done a very poor job of homeschooling because they homeschooled only to keep their children out of public school.  (I'm sure you're NOT one of those!)  But for parents who are truly taking responsibility for their children's education, homeschooling can be very successful and enriching.  Sounds like you had as much fun learning as your kids did.  And October Sky is truly one of the most inspirational movies I've ever seen.

P.S.  I loved your science experiments!
2011 Mercedes ML350

Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 6:28pm
The years I home-schooled my kids I learned more about everything we studied than they did. When I found out my boys did not know where the Panama Canal was, we ended up studying history, science,  and medicine as well as geography.
When we studied native Americans we learned things like the fact that different woods have different ignition points. It explained why our tinder was not catching fire.  We caught distilled water with a cup and sheet of plastic from a hole dug in the ground and all kinds of things that weren't on the official curriculum because we had the time. Home schooling two kids is much more time-efficient than trying to teach a class of 25 to 35.  Teachers have a very rough time trying to satisfy the expectations of administration, parents, students and society in general.
(Incidentally, Diane, October Sky is one of my all-time favourite movies.)
B
Tom and Bette
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 9:44am
Extra-ordinary camper for extra-ordinary campers.  Geek
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 7:13pm

I am in total agreement with what you said tpierce220.  Actually, students are surpisingly on the mark and very fair when they grade each other.  And their self-assessments are pretty honest, too.  Granted, I work with the younger ones though.

Isn't it absolutely amazing how many "Podders" are educators?  (Or "inventors" like David and techntrek Approve.)  I guess we are all turning our pods into escape pods!
2011 Mercedes ML350

tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Hodge-PODge

What teacher worth her (or his) salt wouldn't be thrilled to have a student like that! 

No one learns by JUST reading a textbook and taking a test!  Students learn by doing (to which Tidalwave can attest).

Sometimes I think teachers are afraid of losing control when the teachable moment sends us off in a direction that is not in our lesson plans.  However, when student interest and engagement drives the lesson, the student is going to learn a heck of a lot more.  And teachers have to be willing to let that happen -- and for most teachers in this age of "accountability" on standardized tests, it's really a scary thing to let the students drive the lesson.  My background is in project-based learning so I, for one, believe it can be done.  (And thanks for the compliment, Podsible Dream.)

Amen!  I face this problem with my staff at a university where they are afraid to let students have any control about what is being taught in the classroom.  I, with a committee, revamped a curriculum for the required gen ed class that I supervise.  I wanted to incorporate some student driven assessment tools and when one of the committee members discovered that a group of students would "grade" another student's presentation, he thew a fit.  Some people are truly afraid to relinquish control of their classroom in fear that the teacher may come across as weak or incompetent.

I, on the other hand, have more fun when students keep me on my toes, and it's really neat when a student takes you on a path that you didn't expect just to see where it takes you.  It saddens me when teachers feel that they are the masters of their domain and that the students are treated like subjects.  Students will never learn in that environment as some of you indicated.
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>