R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShuttle Launch (updated with pics)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shuttle Launch (updated with pics)
    Posted: 21 May 2011 at 10:28am
David and Doug,

Have either of you ever seen the movie "October Sky?"  It is based on the true story of Homer Hickam, a coal miner's son who was inspired by the launch of Sputnik 1 to take up rocketry against his father's wishes, and who eventually became a NASA scientist. 

As a school teacher who wants my students to be both inspired and engaged in their own learning, I just love that movie.  Since Doug's wife is a teacher, too, and you are so inspired by the space launch, I'm just betting you have seen it, too. 

You guys sound just like those boys in the movie who kept experimenting with rockets on top of that old sl*g heap in Coalwood, West Virginia in 1957.  Hmmmm, well maybe there is ONE major difference between you . . . . after all, they finally did get it right!  LOL  But hey, the teacher in me would argue that the process is just as important, if not more, than the final end, right?  And you guys win hands down in the "process" department!

2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 10:09pm

LOL, yeah they change a lot of plans.  To put it mildly.

Wow, you really went all-out with your launches.  My launches usually were just me and my brother.  I love these new projects where they have kids putting together high-altitude packages launched with weather balloons.  I would have loved that as a kid (heck, I would love it now).  Speaking of which, I found pictures tonight of the launch that were taken at 64,000 feet, with one of those packages.  I think it was done with help from Elementary age kids.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 3:06pm
Ah yes, even the mightier "C" engine!  One of the guys in the neighborhood tried one of those in a rather small rocket......never saw that one again!  Back then, (if memory serves) the coolest rocket they had was a Saturn 1-B...over 3' tall!  I drooled over that one but, alas, on a paperboy's salary...Ouch.

Launches were a huge deal and every effort was made to make them "just like the real thing".  Launch guy, recovery guys, tracking guy, etc.  I remember making a ruler/protractor/string with a weight (along with some math) to figure out how high they went.  We didn't have a lot of real estate to work with so, the A8-3 (if memory serves) was my usual choice.  The "B" engines in the larger rockets - if the wind wasn't blowing to hard.

My space exploration program was well in hand until a couple of years passed.  It was all spoiled by these things called "girls". LOL
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 2:50pm

How far are you from Titusville?

marshwatcher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 12:35pm
AWESOME PICS! Thanks for sharing your excitement. I too love every shuttle launch and have been blessed to step outside and see most of them except for those obscured by clouds.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 10:52am
Oh yes!  I even built a Space Shuttle model and when we did a rocket building unit in school I fired it off in front of my class.  Which was a big disappointment, it recommended a break-in launch with an A motor which took that behemoth up about... 10 feet.  Did I mention this was in front of my class?  Yeah, that was embarrasing.  I think it could take a C motor after that but the 2nd launch - in front of my class - still didn't take it that far.  I never fired it off again.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 6:13am
Tell me you didn't build and fly models rockets (Estes Company) when you were a youngster!  I still recall the thunderous roar of the mighty "B" engines (along with all of the newspapers I delivered to buy the stuff). Smile
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 9:03pm

The noise was interesting.  I had read before I left that depending on atmospheric conditions it could be anywhere from fairly quiet to chest-shaking.  Without prior experience I can only guess that this was half-way.  Fairly loud, with the expected loud pops from the rocket boosters (they don't burn their fuel evenly so you get pops) but not what I would call chest-shaking.  What was interesting was since we were 12 miles away it had disappeared into the clouds long before the first sounds from ignition reached us.  So once the visible show was done we then got a minute or two of sound.

Definitely room for 'pods and tow vehicles.  I didn't see any on this trip in the area where I was, but last trip I saw RVs up and down the road wherever they could park on the news.  As long as there is no "no parking" or "private parking" sign, the Titusville police don't care.  The trip in July I'm considering taking the 'pod again since we'll all be there (I don't think my wife would sleep in the van like I did).  Parking right where I am in that pic above, maybe 50 feet farther forward since just past that electric pole its only wide enough for vehicles so nobody could try to squeeze around me to park farther in.  I was the first person in there the night before and several people squeezed past me after spots around me filled in.  I was glad I was there 2 weeks earlier so I knew right where to go this time.

David, I agree.  I like that they are pressing for private industry to come up with solutions, but for the first time since our space program started we will be without any active solution to keep us in space.  I know Orion was revived after the whole Constellation program was killed, but its now just an escape capsule for the ISS.  No moon shot, no Mars shot. 

Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 8:31pm
I'm glad you finally made it!  Of course, YOU were ready all along, but the shuttle wasn't.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 7:44pm
Thanks for the pics!  Too cool.  It's a bit sad for me that we (as a Nation) just can't afford to do more space exploration.  A lot of good stuff came out of the space program.  It also gave us (as a Nation) something to be proud of. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>