R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShuttle Launch (updated with pics)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shuttle Launch (updated with pics)
    Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 5:15pm
Gotta tell you all that one of the benefits of being a native Floridian is watching every shuttle launch by stepping outside. A few have been cloud obscured until pretty high but WOW is it neat to see them. I never tire of it.

I used to take my babies outside and point to the sky! Those babies are now in the late 20's and early 30's but they do remember some of the launches.   

Also, to cement how old I am getting....we went to Disney World the weekend it opened. Cost $7.95 and you got a coupon book for the sights and rides. GEEZ I am depressing myself.....
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 8:41pm
Thats a bummer.  Are you still planning on heading to Florida?
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2011 at 9:26pm

Yeah, we are still going.  I'm still bummed.  But now we'll take advantage of the 'visit 2nd day free' options on our SeaWorld and Kennedy Space Center tickets and get some extra time to hit other sites.  I just booked the KSC bus tour for that Friday, we'll have to take the 'pod with us, do the tour and then hit the road.

Now my wife is trying to talk me into flying us down for the new launch date.   Confused

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
kmcmurph View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 1:44am
There's nothing like seeing a shuttle launch, I remember while I was going to Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona watching several day launches and one night launch. I wish I had driven down to the cape and see one up close, but they scrubbed all the time for one reason or another. Everyone knew when they were going up and class basic came to a halt when they were ready- we would all pile out of class to see the launch. We were in Daytona, but it was still quite a site. While heading to the cape, remember to stop at Ron Jon Surf Shop, A1A Cocoa Beach, open all day, every day. I even got to see Bachman Turner Overdrive in concert in Cocoa Beach. Either way, Kennedy Space Center is a must!

Karl
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2011 at 12:55pm
I almost went to Embry Riddle, I ended up going to Middle Tennessee State U for a while, they have an aeronautics program too.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 10:04pm
Well, off on the big trip tomorrow.  Nearly all packed, if we didn't pack it hopefully we don't need it.  Throw the pillows in the 'pod in the morning and we are good to go.  The 'pod is going to work with me and we'll leave from there.  Big smile
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 6:34am
Good luck and happy journies, Tech!  I hope you packed the camera and bring back some good stuff
for the rest of us to see! Smile
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 12:57pm
Camera - check.  My wife is a big scrapbooker so our lives are well-documented especially on trips.  I probably could tell you what I had for breakfast on the 3rd day of our annual beach vacation 2 years ago.  Cool
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 2:42pm

And we are here!  We drove about 7 hours on Friday and 14 on Saturday.  About three hours of that was traffic (including sitting still for over an hour because of an accident), rest/gas stops and getting slowed down by a horrendous headwind.  The headwind was so bad I was averaging 8-9 mpg per tank most of Saturday.  Ouch.  I was white-knuckled most of the way just trying to keep us between the lines and there were times I had to slow down to 50 because that was all the power I had w/o downshifting to 2nd gear every 10 seconds.  I'm really hoping I don't have to deal with that going home.

The forecast looks great, mid to upper 80's and sunny every day.  We are resting up today at Wekiwa Springs State Park.  Very nice place, looks like newer bath houses, well kept, very spacious camp sites and lots of room between them.  Its in the middle of a forested area so I can't hear any traffic.  I'll be sure to get some pics up soon.

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2011 at 2:45pm
I should mention that Friday night we stayed in the Wal-Mart parking lot in Smithfield, NC.  That town was one of a half-dozen in northeast NC that was hit by tornadoes on Saturday.  We got out of there just in time...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>