R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShuttle Launch (updated with pics)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shuttle Launch (updated with pics)
    Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 11:39am
Misadventures can be the best adventures of all.  
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
marshwatcher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Hodge-PODge

Disappointed TWICE!  Gee whiz, this hasn't exactly been a charmed adventure for you has it?  Hope you've at least spent some quality time with your other half in all this.  In any case, your "misadventures" will still make a good story for you to tell to your grandkids one day.  Maybe it's not U.S. history, but it IS your family history after all . . . Stern Smile

I love this comment! As one of those by nature, list making people who plans and plans, I am learning in my "mature" years that the unplanned is often the best plan.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 10:47pm
This has certainly been an adventure and will be great conversation for the rest of our lives.  I do not look forward to paying for the adventure, though.  We spent today going back to KSC to do the Astronaut Hall of Fame.  It was included with the tickets we had last week but just didn't have the time to fit it in, so we got AHF-only tickets for today (cha-ching).  A really great collection of artifacts and stuff for the kids.  We also went back to Downtown Disney this evening to get a sweatshirt my wife wanted but didn't get last time (cha-ching), then went back to our hotel for dinner (cha-ching).  We've extended our hotel reservation for Sunday night (cha-ching).  I think tomorrow we are going to spend the day at the pool here and wait for the news from NASA if Monday is a "go" or not.  Last word on the Shuttle update page on NASA's site is they are currently inside the rear of the Orbiter troubleshooting.  If it can be fixed for a Monday launch it will go up at 2:44 pm and we'll leave right from there to then drive all night so I can drop my wife at work by 9 am.  Then I'll drop our kids at school late and I'll go home to crash.  If they schedule the launch for another day we'll go home first thing Monday and drive all day getting home around 10 or 11 pm.  Then we'll plan on being back down here this summer for the final Shuttle launch... take three. Censored
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 11:16pm
Doesn't the saying go "Third time's the charm?" Thumbs Up
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 8:32pm
... and home again.  They've now said the earliest a launch would happen is the 8th so we are headed home tomorrow.  Don't know if we'll be back in a week, or if we'll wait for the final launch this summer.  

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 9:11pm
Techntrek,

Now it will HAVE to be the THIRD (and final) time's the charm, or else you ain't got NO luck at all! 

So what are your chances of having time to wait it out this summer should similar glitches come up?  Your wife's a school teacher so maybe she has a little bit more time off, but how about you?  And you do know Florida is about as hot as [bleep, bleep] in the summer time?  Thank goodness for the AC in the Pod!

Diane
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 1:22pm

The biggest question mark is getting my wife out of work - at this point any day off for this "mission" is unpaid, but her boss seems flexible in at least granting the time off.  So that would be a point in favor or waiting until this summer since she isn't getting paid then anyway.  But, I would really like to see this shuttle go up.  Its the one we saw on the pad when we did the KSC tour 1 1/2 weeks ago and of course the one we've expected to see go up all along... but seeing the last one go up would be just as cool.

You have a great point about the bleepin heat in summer.  We were there in July 3 years ago for Disney and I would love to avoid that (but its the same heat/humidity we have at home so not an insurmountable problem).  My bigger worry is since it would be the last flight there could be a million people there all over the place.  They said last Friday's attempt drew an unusually large crowd of 750,000 which wasn't too bad in-person since everyone was spread out over many miles.  If we have to deal with that, we will.  A big problem with waiting until summer is my wife is going to a teacher's conference in Chicago for a week starting June 30th and the current target date for the Shuttle is June 28th.  No wiggle room there!

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 10:20pm

The next date has been set - Monday the 16th at 8:56 am.  Unfortunately my wife has 41 parent conferences on that day and my oldest daughter has a school performance the next day so must be in school.  My youngest daughter doesn't want to make up any more school work.

So, I think I'm off for a solo trip starting on Sunday.  I'm considering taking my van back down - without the 'pod - so I can sleep in the back.  It will cost me more gas than taking our Prius back down but I won't need to find a hotel room.  I'll just park it on the side of Route 1 north of Titusville, FL, where I'll watch the launch.  Lots of people camp out on the side of the road before launches so not a big deal.

I looked at flying down, but including renting a car, hotel, and paying to park my car at the airport back home its a minimum $600 IF the launch isn't delayed by a day.  Taking the van down would be around $300 and wouldn't cost more if I have to stay another day.  I won't be taking the 'pod because that would be at least $900 (gotta love the drop in mpg).  But it would sure be nice to sleep in its bed and take a shower...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 10:41pm

You must want to go really badly if you are willing to go solo this trip!  Not to mention sleeping in the van.  Enjoy . . . and bring back pics.

2011 Mercedes ML350

rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 10:07am
You can always get showers at the truck stops.  I traveled Cross country many years ago (almost 30 years) and we did it in a van and used Truck Stops.  Hope you have a great trip and it goes this time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>