R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShuttle Launch (updated with pics)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shuttle Launch (updated with pics)
    Posted: 20 May 2011 at 12:35pm
AWESOME PICS! Thanks for sharing your excitement. I too love every shuttle launch and have been blessed to step outside and see most of them except for those obscured by clouds.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 2:50pm

How far are you from Titusville?

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 3:06pm
Ah yes, even the mightier "C" engine!  One of the guys in the neighborhood tried one of those in a rather small rocket......never saw that one again!  Back then, (if memory serves) the coolest rocket they had was a Saturn 1-B...over 3' tall!  I drooled over that one but, alas, on a paperboy's salary...Ouch.

Launches were a huge deal and every effort was made to make them "just like the real thing".  Launch guy, recovery guys, tracking guy, etc.  I remember making a ruler/protractor/string with a weight (along with some math) to figure out how high they went.  We didn't have a lot of real estate to work with so, the A8-3 (if memory serves) was my usual choice.  The "B" engines in the larger rockets - if the wind wasn't blowing to hard.

My space exploration program was well in hand until a couple of years passed.  It was all spoiled by these things called "girls". LOL
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 10:09pm

LOL, yeah they change a lot of plans.  To put it mildly.

Wow, you really went all-out with your launches.  My launches usually were just me and my brother.  I love these new projects where they have kids putting together high-altitude packages launched with weather balloons.  I would have loved that as a kid (heck, I would love it now).  Speaking of which, I found pictures tonight of the launch that were taken at 64,000 feet, with one of those packages.  I think it was done with help from Elementary age kids.

Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 10:28am
David and Doug,

Have either of you ever seen the movie "October Sky?"  It is based on the true story of Homer Hickam, a coal miner's son who was inspired by the launch of Sputnik 1 to take up rocketry against his father's wishes, and who eventually became a NASA scientist. 

As a school teacher who wants my students to be both inspired and engaged in their own learning, I just love that movie.  Since Doug's wife is a teacher, too, and you are so inspired by the space launch, I'm just betting you have seen it, too. 

You guys sound just like those boys in the movie who kept experimenting with rockets on top of that old sl*g heap in Coalwood, West Virginia in 1957.  Hmmmm, well maybe there is ONE major difference between you . . . . after all, they finally did get it right!  LOL  But hey, the teacher in me would argue that the process is just as important, if not more, than the final end, right?  And you guys win hands down in the "process" department!

2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 10:31am
Dang, I keep editing the post above but every time I type sl*g, it comes up sl*ag.  That it so weird! Confused   It's doing it on this post, too.  That * is supposed to be an A!  Oh well, you guys are certainly smart enough to figure it out.
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Hodge-PODge

David and Doug,  

You guys sound just like those boys in the movie who kept experimenting with rockets on top of that old sl*g heap in Coalwood, West Virginia in 1957.  Hmmmm, well maybe there is ONE major difference between you . . . . after all, they finally did get it right!  LOL  But hey, the teacher in me would argue that the process is just as important, if not more, than the final end, right?  And you guys win hands down in the "process" department!

One more jab and I'm going to tell you what I was really thinking about the matress problem: "Are these gals really so puny that they can't lift up a corner of the matress and shove a box underneath to hold it up?" LOL

Seriously, I have not seen the movie, but it sounds interesting.  Your attitude towards your students is admirable.  All teachers should be like that.  My boyhood heros were people like Thomas Edison, Louis Pasteur, Marie Curie, NASA scientist, astronauts, Tesla, Marconi, etc.  (forgive me, I don't have the spell checker turned on)

Hopefully, a large percentage of your students will catch the lifetime "bug" to learn, understand and innovate.  I feel sorry for the people in life who are so paralized by the fear of failure that they never try.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.  Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 6:08pm
You're quite the philospher, David!  And I am just going to graciously ignore the remark about what you were really thinking about us "puny" ladies (although I REALLY don't know why we didn't think of your idea).  Can't say that about Mountain Mist any more though, she got the lever idea to work.  As for me, I don't have to winterize until the fall so I am not going to worry about it until then.  Big smile
2011 Mercedes ML350

Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 6:41pm
I think that both David and techntrek had some real fine teachers like you are, Diane. Someone imbued them with a love of learning and encouraged their sense of curiosity and exploration. Judging from your comments you are able to that too. You have some fortunate students!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 9:57pm

Yup, I did see that movie.  Along with The Right Stuff, Apollo 13 (at least 13 times), another half-dozen documentaries and the entire HBO docu-drama From the Earth to the Moon.  That last one has something like 10 DVDs and I've watched it several times - its a must-see for any space buff, its a Tom Hanks production.

Unfortunately my 3rd grade science teacher called me a failure in front of other students, but my mom pointed out that I was reading a college-level science journal cover-to-cover the minute it came to the house... I was bored with her class.  Luckily I had three great science teachers in 7th, 8th and 9th grade that made up for it (10th grade teacher was uninspiring and the one I had in 11th played favorites and was abusive to those that weren't his favorites).  Didn't damage my love of science and figuring things out!

Hodge - not sure what is going on with s-l-a-g, I'll check out the bad word filter to see if something in there may be causing it.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>