Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA Nuestro Pod Weekend

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Nuestro Pod Weekend
    Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 10:12am

Hey fellow Pods, Nuestro Pod here, I’m back with this weekends trip.  Yes, my owners let me tell about my trip this weekend.  This past week my TV had to have some work done on the wiring for the brake controller.  Apparently, the ground wire had come off and a relay had been shorted out.  With that fixed we were ready to load and leave.  Now that daylight savings time is back, we can leave for Adolpho Thomae’ county park in Arroyo City, TX, and arrive with plenty of time to set up. As most of you know you follow our trips, the park is a short 45-55 min trip.  On the way there we had sort of forgotten we had not put in anything for dinner.  Fortunately, there was a Subway on the way to the park, where we picked up a sub for dinner, although they didn’t offer me any.  We arrived with no further delays an got set up in a real nice site. (See pictures).  It was a little on the windy side but it felt good it my R-dome.  My owners ate dinner in the dome and sat just enjoying the atmosphere.  I was a clear night so I could see the stars, boy there sure are a lot of them, what a gorgeous site.

The night was fine until about 5:30 when some bird starting “singing” in the tree outside my window.  Then the fishermen started arriving with their boats roaring down the park road to the launching ramp.  We all were able to get back to sleep for a little while (9:30 am).  We had a great day of reading, walking and just relaxing.  As the evening progressed the humidity came (humidity 60+ % temp 77 and 10 pm) up to the point it was some what uncomfortable, so my owner turned on my A/C for the first time this year.  Of course I provide tons of nice cool dry air.  We all watched a couple of DVD’s we keep in the entertainment center, Papillion and Rain Man, oldies but goodies.  Tonight, my owner decided that it would be better if they left the A/C on.  Because I make a fair amount of noise when my A/C compressor cycles on and off they also leave the fan on.  This provides a constant “white noise?” and drowns out any noise from bird or vehicles.  All was good with the world.  Unfortunately, this bliss was rudely shattered about 5:30 am when, through no fault of my own, my fire alarm went off.  Needless to say my owners were quite startled and awoke rather quickly.  They checked and everything seemed OK.  All seemed to be in order, Paul thought it might have been a power blip, little did he know.  Just as they were getting back to sleep it went off again.  They checked everything again and all appeared OK.  This time they finally figured out that the battery in the alarm was low or dead.  (Note to owners, change alarm battery each year so this won’t happen again)  Well, everyone got back to sleep and finally dragged themselves out of bed about 10 am. Lazy slugs. 

Again had a great day, although overcast in the AM it cleared off in the afternoon.  Paul decided this might be a good time to backwash the black & grey tanks.  This is the first time he has done this so I’m not really sure if I’m going to like it.  Anyhow, he got the Flush King connected properly and the process was quite painless, in fact it kind of tickled.  It got out some TP which had not gone through before so I think it did a great job.  With that done and chemicals put back in my tanks it was time to pack up and head home.  Another great weekend with my owners.

Look for my next installment, Nuestro Pod gets a sway control device.

Nuestro Pod

Happy Podding

Site 27 Adolpho Thomae County Park Arroyo City, TX

Close view of light hanging between the tree and top of the R-Dome

We love our R-Dome. Let you be outside without the little fly bug we get here in S TX

Nuestro Pod through the Mesquite Tress

Mesquite tree blossoms

This wildflower is about 1/2 in wide. Small but pretty

2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2014 Silverado
DocTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 11:40am
Glad you had fun. My owners haven't let me do anything but sleep in the "Pod " while in the driveway. Pretty soon now though, it is waming up (at least the snow from this morning melted). How do you like my new hiking boots. They are nice in the snow too.

Bark,

Louie Dalmtian (if your pod can post, my owners thought that I could also)
Brush and Floss, It is the Secret of Life!
pmjensen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 11:49am
You look Maaarvlous.  They are definitely a fashion statement.
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2014 Silverado
DocTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 11:50am
Yes, I am so bright I can't even open my eyes!!!!
DocTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 11:56am
Now that I got Louie off the computer, I can say "It must be nice to live in the warm. We have a cousin from Corpus that is coming this summer to go with us in the pod to Leadville, CO. I wonder how she will do going from sea level to 10,000' in 48 hours?? Your setup looks nice. I have yet to hook up the dome, but will try that in the drive in a couple of weeks before I take it out for a real trip."

Tom
pmjensen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 1:52pm
It is great to be able to camp year 'round.  We try to get out every 2-3 weeks.  As for your cousin, I'm sure she will be very happy to escape the humidity.

I'm sure it has been suggested before, but spray the channel that the R-Dome slides in with a silicon type lubricant.  It really makes a difference.  It may be a little reluctant the first few times but will become quite easy. 
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2014 Silverado
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 2:18pm
More importantly, make sure all the screws in the dome's track are screwed all the way in.  They are attached as quick as possible on the production line and not all of them get seated like they should.

We always leave the A/C fan "on" at night unless we are dry camping, for that very reason - lots of white noise to drown out the neighbors that like to get up at 5 am.  We like to get up much, much later.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
LunaPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 11:33pm
DocTom
You will really enjoy Leadville if you haven't been there before. It is one of our favorite places to go, it does stay cool even in the summer.
What time of the summer are you planning? If I can help with any questions let me know.
Mike
Mike & Barb, R Pod 173 - TV 2011Silverado
DocTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 9:58am
Thanks, Mike, I will be there the last week in July. I have been there several times, climbed Elbert
and Massive, and backpacked in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness. That and the Uncompahgre are my two favorite areas to backpack, but I absoultely enjoy the
 whole state. I have seen snow fluries in July in Leadville before.

We will be staying this time with the Pod at Sugarloafin'. I think the two women along will enjoy the conveniences as well as the closeness to Turquoise Lake, and the nice trails in the area.

Thanks again for the offer of information. I find fellow podders to be amazingly helpful and willing to share.

Tom
marshwatcher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 3:13pm
Dear Nuestro Pod,

This is Just Podin' Along speaking to you Pod to Pod....you look good. Are you a guy pod or a girl pod? Your got your camp on dude or gal!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>