R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRemoving r-pod rear window

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing r-pod rear window
    Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 12:17pm
Has anyone removed or resealed their r-pod's rear window?  And, if so, do you have any advice?

The caulk around our rear window is cracked and stained and I should probably redo it.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 3:08pm
I haven't heard of anyone doing it except a dealer.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 4:16pm
 When we first picked up our Rpod in Ohio it rained the first night we picked it up. The window leaked a lot. The next day we took it back to the dealer and they caulked it. I wish they had replaced the black rubber seal. But over the past two years the caulking that they sealed it with has a lot of mold that I have been unable to remove. So perhaps what you are talking about we have the same problem but maybe worse. Some Rpod owners while under warranty had there back window seal replaced by Forest River they said that some of the first Rpod's had defective rear widow seals. Ours was one that was never replaced. So I have thought about replacing the seal myself but not sure how to do it. So I too have interest in your question how do you remove rear widow and is it difficult. I may call Forest River to see If they will give me the seal or at least at a discount. Couchs may have it in their records or Forest River may, that it leaked and was repaired when we picked the Rpod up. It hasn't leaked since the repair thats one thing good.    David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 5:35pm
I have removed and replaced mine. The original window was defective, the dealer delivered a new one to my door and I replaced it myself. More convenient than making 2 trips to the dealership to have them do it.

The windows are installed with double sided butyl tape, available from any glass shop or RV store. I got mine at a local glass shop, 1/8" thick x 1/2" wide, but it would have been better if it had been a bit thicker than 1/8". I used black, but I've seen white at marine supply stores. It's tacky on both sides, you press the tape onto the window flange, then peel off the paper backing to expose the sticky surface that will adhere to the pod. It's sort of gummy and pliable and will bend easily around the corners, and squish down a little to make a good seal.

The window is held in from the inside. Remove the screws in the aluminum trim pieces from inside the pod, remove the aluminum trim, and the window cutout will be exposed. The window simply pushes out from the inside. It's better if you have two people - someone outside with a putty knife to help separate the window from the rPod body and make sure it doesn't fall out on the ground while you gently push from the inside.

Once you get it out, scrape off the old butyl tape (acetone works well to remove residue) and put new tape on the window flange. Start at the bottom in the middle and work your way around so the seam where the tape comes together is at the bottom of the window. Remove the paper backing, place the window back in the opening and replace the inside aluminum trim and screws. Tighten gently until the tape makes contact with the rPod body all around.

If you overtighten, you'll distort the trim and/or strip the screw threads out. Don't ask how I know this.

If you decide you want to use some type of caulk rather than the tape, DO NOT use 3M 5200. This is widely available and has its uses in the marine and RV world, but it's meant as a construction adhesive, not a seam sealant. It's permanent. You'll never get the window out again if you ever need to. Don't ask how I know this.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 10:51am
    I was thinking it was the rubber around the window that was replaced. By the way I understand Huron Sailor is that he replaced the glass and seal together. I removed one of the side windows before and the back window may me similar. Thankyou Huron Sailor for your explanation of how you replaced yours. We would like to have the rear window without caulking smeared all around the edges. Just the rubber seal would look better like a motor vehicles window is installed.    David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 11:05am
Arrrrrr.... thank ye, HuronSailor!  That be just the noggin' booty that I be scouring the seven seas for.

/ug... I'm so embarrased
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 11:37am
Just to be clear mateys, I replaced the window and frame as a unit. I did not remove the glass alone. 

For their first and only attempt, the dealership tried removing the glass from the frame and resealing it, but that was a complete failure. A complete new glass/frame assembly was ordered.

I forgot to mention that after the new window was installed, I caulked across the top and halfway down each side of the rear window as an extra precaution.

So far no leaks.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2011 at 10:16pm
Outbound, too funny.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply