Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedgenerators?what r u using?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Farmers View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: generators?what r u using?
    Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 7:39pm
Picking up our used 177, 2011 this Friday. I'm planning on getting a Honda EU2000i to start with. We plan to camp mostly in Vt., so it will generally be cooler, but it can get hot and humid up there too. If we decide we need the air, we'll get another EU2000i. I'll look into the start cap issue before getting the 2nd generator. Now if paying for this stuff was only as easy as saying it !
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by jim park

just installed the hard start capacitor and it runs my a/c like a champ in 94 degree heat.it runs my a/c at 68 degrees for about seven hours and 5 minutes on 1.1 gallons of gas.much better than buying a second generator.  thanks for the tip outbound. ps i talked to a local dealer and they refused to install it.

That's great, Jim!  I'm glad it worked for you!  That's got to be the best $13.50 ever spent.  Good to hear that you were able to do the install yourself Smile
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 7:36pm
Glad I could help with generators vs inverter/generators 101!
jim park View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Outbound

Jim, you may be able to use your current Honda 2000i generator if you install a hard start capacitor in your A/C unit.  You can find some background information and general instructions on how to do this (here).  The article also has a link to a supplier on Amazon who sells a capacitor for $13.50.

If I was you, I'd keep the Honda generator and install a capacitor.  The Honda is a nice unit.  If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, talk to some local RV dealers (any dealer that you trust should do - they don't have to carry Forest River products).  I bet you'll find one who can do it for $100 or so.

just installed the hard start capacitor and it runs my a/c like a champ in 94 degree heat.it runs my a/c at 68 degrees for about seven hours and 5 minutes on 1.1 gallons of gas.much better than buying a second generator.  thanks for the tip outbound. ps i talked to a local dealer and they refused to install it.
jim park View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Outbound

Jim, you may be able to use your current Honda 2000i generator if you install a hard start capacitor in your A/C unit.  You can find some background information and general instructions on how to do this (here).  The article also has a link to a supplier on Amazon who sells a capacitor for $13.50.

If I was you, I'd keep the Honda generator and install a capacitor.  The Honda is a nice unit.  If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, talk to some local RV dealers (any dealer that you trust should do - they don't have to carry Forest River products).  I bet you'll find one who can do it for $100 or so.

just installed the hard start capacitor and it runs my a/c like a champ in 94 degree heat.it runs my a/c at 68 degrees for about seven hours and 5 minutes on 1.1 gallons of gas.much better than buying a second generator.  thanks for the tip outbound.
TravelingTeacher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 6:39pm
Outbound and techntrek, you told me everything I need to know.  Well, for now anyway - Smile   And Outbound, thank you for taking the time to explain in such detail all the basics.  I appreciate it.  In this forum, you guys are the teachers and I'm the student!
Traveling Teacher w. R-Pod 177

"To teach is to learn twice." - Joseph Joubert

"Whether you think you can or think you can't - you are right." - Henry Ford
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 1:57pm
Outbound, you explained that so well, I think YOU would make a pretty good teacher.  I actually understood at a basic level what you were talking about!

Techntrek, I appreciate your additional info.  Thanks, guys!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 9:57am
There is also an actual inverter, which runs from a 12 volt, 24 volt or 48 volt battery bank and outputs either 120 volts AC or 240 volts AC.  These usually aren't suited to running high-amp loads like A/Cs or microwaves unless you have a very large battery bank (as one example, I have a 6000 watt inverter at home attached to 16 12 volt batteries and I can run most things in my house from it - obviously not practical at all for an RV).  These can be used in place of a generator (or inverter/generator) for small loads, such as running CFL or LED lights, charging your cell phone or laptop, etc.  When we dry camp we'll run our 300 watt inverter for our phones and laptops.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 7:39am
Originally posted by TravelingTeacher

what is the difference between and inverter and a generator?

As you've spotted, the word 'generator' is generally used to identify both a generator and an inverter generator (Yamaha is the only manufacturer I've spotted who shortens the name to just 'inverter').

A generator produces 120 volts alternating at 60 cycles per second (120v AC) by essentially rotating a magnet within a coil of wire.  A generator is a simple machine: to maintain the 60 cycles per second, it must maintain a constant rotational speed.  As you put more load on a generator (i.e. you plug more things in), there is more resistance as the generator tries to spin the magnet and the motor must work harder to maintain the rotational speed.  Although its a pretty good system, there are some drawbacks.  First: as loads are added, the generator must ramp-up power and during this time the voltage and the cycles per second will drop, producing 'dirty' power (brownouts and spikes).  Second: the 60 cycles per second is a fixed requirement (even when there is little or no load), requiring the engine to be running constantly at a high speed.

An inverter generator uses electronics to improve performance.  The generator produces direct current (as opposed to alternating current) and this is run through some electronics to convert it to 120v AC and clean-up the blips in the incoming power as it ramps up/down under load.  An inverter generator doesn't need to maintain a constant engine speed to keep up to the 60 cycles per second as the electronics adjust the incoming power to a standard of 120v AC.  The net advantage to an inverter generator is that it provides cleaner power and is able to idle at a much lower (and quieter) level.

Is a generator hard to use or hook up?

A generator is very easy to use and, once its started and warmed-up, you simply plug in your RPOD  (an adapter may be necessary, but you've probably already got one for plugging your RPOD into your house).

An RPOD has a fantastic WFCO converter which will recharge your battery automatically and very quickly.  It'll take the WFCO less than an hour to bulk charge your battery (bringing it to a 75% charge), which is all you're trying to accomplish while on generated power.  NOTE: it takes an additional 8 hours or more to fully charge a battery that is at 75%.

There is some generator maintenance required, however.  At least once a year, you'll have to drain and replace the oil and you'll have to check and clean the air filters.  Every 2-3 years, you'll have to replace the spark plugs.  You'll have to drain the gasoline from the generator before storing it for winter.  You'll also have to pay attention to how long gas has been sitting in the generator as it begins to gum up the carburetor after a few months.

Are there any risks to your camper electrical systems?

The only risk in an RPOD would be the air conditioner.  The compressor is sensitive to undervolts (brownouts) and, if your generator is also powering the microwave or a teapot or a toaster while the air conditioner is trying to cycle on, there's an outside chance of damage.  I suggest turning off the A/C while making tea & toast.  Hair dryers, curling irons, coffee pots and most any other heat-producing electrical appliance are also on the 'turn off the A/C before using' list.

Pawpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 4:27am
From what I understand is a generator produces power that can be subject to spikes and brownouts, ok for power saws and lights, very bad for computers, microwaves, and other RV components. A generator/inverter produces power very close to your household power, no spikes, brownouts, Ect... A inverter converts 12 volt into 120 volt.
I'm sure I am over simpleizing this and some one will have a more technical explanation.
Ready to pod around!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>