Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed¡Podtástic! Maiden Voyage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: ¡Podtástic! Maiden Voyage
    Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 12:51am
Tomorrow we'll be taking ¡Podtástic! on its maiden voyage.  We're taking it about an hour north of where we live to a KOA park.  I saw a post a few months ago asking for a few people to give a few hours in exchange for a weekend of free camping and dinner on Saturday.  That seemed like a good deal for us as it gives us a chance to work on getting any bugs out of the way.

The one thing I noticed today when I went to purge the gas line of any air was that the 12v battery was kaput.  While I'm sure that the batter will get recharged once I get it plugged to a power source, but I couldn't get the fridge to fire up in propane mode.  Do you need 12v to get the fridge going even if you're going to power it on LP?

My guess is that the propane detector drained the battery.  Is there any way to disconnect that in the future while it's in storage to keep some charge going in the battery?

Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
Bigbit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 1:22am
Yes, you need 12 V to power the refrigerator circuitry, even if you're trying to run it on propane.

You should install a battery kill switch if you;re going to have long periods of trailer non-use; otherwise the detectors will slowly drain the  battery.

You can get the kill switch at most automotive stores or at Harbor Freight.  When I had a Pod, I had a kill switch with a removable "key" - I mounted the switch right on the cover of the battery box and would remove the key and store it in a compartment in my truck.

Here's a link to an example of a switch: http://toolmonger.com/2008/07/07/battery-disconnect-switch/
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 1:33am
Originally posted by Bigbit

You can get the kill switch at most automotive stores or at Harbor Freight.  When I had a Pod, I had a kill switch with a removable "key" - I mounted the switch right on the cover of the battery box and would remove the key and store it in a compartment in my truck.

Here's a link to an example of a switch: http://toolmonger.com/2008/07/07/battery-disconnect-switch/

Cool!  I'll check that out.  I need to get to Harbor Freight soon.

Tim
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 4:11am
Bigbit speaks well in regards to the switch.  Here is one that I picked up at Camping World and attached
to the top of my battery box:

The red knob can be removed when in the "off" position.  When returning from camping,  I plug in
the camper at home for a day to make sure the battery is fully charged.  I then turn the switch to "off"
and unplug the camper.  When preparing for the next trip, I plug the camper in and turn the switch to "on"
a day or two before to "top off" the battery, turn on the fridge - so that it can be packed, etc.

Remember to check the the battery a couple or so times per season and add distilled water, if needed.

Happy camping! Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply