R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camping with kids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA few things I've learned....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: A few things I've learned....
    Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 12:53pm
Camping with children can be a whole lot of fun. I believe attitude is key. First thing I figured out was that I am no longer here for myself, it is now about the child. Children are constantlty learning and want to explore everything, this takes a little more time and patience is a virtue. I just stop and enjoy the time I have to spend with my daughter, I like when she asks questions.

I have been camping with my daughter since she was born, well ok 3mos old. I have been backpacking with her since before she could walk, and I am also lucky enough to have a little over an acre of woods behind my house as a training ground. I enjoy as much time as I can as close to nature as possible.

It was not always easy to do some of the things that my wife and I did, but lots of people are way more extreme. I had to be very keen on what my daughter needed, I learned that if she was crying or crabby then something was wrong. Who could cry or be upset in such a beautiful setting. Nutrition is extremely important, constant snacking of proteins and carbahydrates helps a lot. Hydration is extremely important, monitor body temprature often and if they are sweating or have rosey checks then they need water fast. It is not always easy to get children to eat or drink, so I was creative in my methods; I found things she liked, like fruits and nuts or granola bars. For hydration issues she loved to drink from a hydration bladder (like a camel back), and on hot days I would squirt her down with water so she would not have to sweat as much. She loved that.

Once she was able to walk, I would start her out with her own tiny backback, with very little in it. As we hiked and she got tired, I would take her backpack off and she had another burst of energy. Then once she got tired of that, I would carry her in the backpack carrier.

Nowadays we camp in the pod, she is just about 4yrs old. This make things so much easier. It's climate controlled, she can get cleaned up, and is a lot easier for her to fall asleep because she is comfortable. It gives me more time to relax around the camp, because it is just so much less to do in setup and take down.

I started her very young and she loves being outside.

One product I truly recommend is a Sherpani backpack carrier, without it I could not have done some of the hikes we did.  It is so comfortable for her she would just fall asleep for hours at a time. Around the house when she did not feel good and wanted me to hold her, I could just put her in that, and do work around the house, she was just super happy.

When we go hiking, I learned how important it was to never put her in sandals. Unless you like stopping every minute to dislodge rocks, a simple running type shoe is great, they are lightweight and dry very fast. I also make her carry a backpack, she likes that a whole lot.

I love to camp, when I first had my daughter I was scared of everything because I knew nothing. There is not a whole lot of stuff out there for new parents in the way of camping, I guess most people just figure it out as they go and then kind of forget about it. I gained a lot of inspiration from my local camping store, they brought their son on the whole appalacian trail (georgia to maine) when he was 3yrs old, then hopped on bicycles and rode back. After talking with them, I knew I could do some simple camping with my daughter without much worries.

Don't be afraid.......Be adventurous....... 
I can't even begin to describe it.... you would just have to see for yourself....
MissPolly View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 8:28am
Thank you so much for this very positive post. My son is now 5 mnths old, and I look forward to taking him camping. I too enjoy the climate control and the ability to get cleaned up, so we will start out our camping adventures with a TT. I am excited about the up coming adventures!

Thanks, Polly and Strike
Faux Pod owner, mother to Strike 7 mths old future left handed relief pitcher, and Atlas 3 yr old Neo Mastiff
Flagstaff Micro Lite XLT 18RK
2008 Jeep Wrangler 4door
profmagickb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 11:59am
You will have great times, no doubt. If you learn any tricks or tips, please share.... We just found out we have another one on the way! so I am trying to remember what I have forgotten.... I hope others will add to it too.....
I can't even begin to describe it.... you would just have to see for yourself....
profmagickb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 12:58pm

Something I almost forgot..ALWAYS pack burn cream! hopefully you won't need it, but its great to have when you do.

marshwatcher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 12:56pm
Thanks for your delightful post. It brought back memories of camping when our children were young...now they are 30 somethings! One of the timeless things I think children enjoy when outdoors is a magnifying glass. Our motto was to admire and leave it alone for others in nature but the magnifying glass allowed close examination of rocks, flowers, insects and even tree bark...variations of its use were endless. We also did bark rubbings when they got older...something I think is also a timeless fun, easy activity and they got to take the tree with them--well a rubbing anyway. Happy Kid Camping...you young parents have the right idea of fun!

jorgea View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 1:37pm
Thanks for your recommendation and telling us about your family experience in camping with children.
bodie55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 1:18am
With all of the stress of a busy school year, we look forward to holidays with the kids having out of the ordinary experiences.  Being outdoors is awesome!  They have travelled a lot abroad, but now we're adding out own big backyard to the mix. The pod sure makes camping easier on young ones - a clean potty and a warm, dry bed make a huge difference in their willingness to be part of the adventure!
Bay Area Crew
2013 178 Beach Pod
F-150 SuperCrew
...sempre in viaggio sul mare...
Old Hippy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2014 at 7:38pm
Take your kids camping and keep them playing outdoors and you'll never have trouble with them !! Ours have been camping since in diapers now their pushing 40 !! All 3 love climbing snowboarding hiking etc ...also surf too. Sadly I'm the one having a hard time keeping up now !! I've got pictures of the 3 of them on top of Cathedral Peak in Tuolumne !! The outdoors keeps a family together !!
rodroc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 2:23pm
Excellent advice friend.  I think that camping with my boys is one of the things that I enjoy most in life right now.  Can't think of anything better.  
Regards
Rod M
DPF Delete Packages
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 3:33pm
Same here!! Now that are children are grown, it is very rewarding to watch them taking their children camping now! 
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>