R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInverter installed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inverter installed
    Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 1:06pm
We recently picked up our RP-177HRE and we're very happy with it. 
I recently installed a 2000W pure sine wave 12VDC to 115VAC inverter.
The unit itself is installed under the dinette bench where the converter and circuit breaker panel is, as I could wire the 12VDC for the inverter from the circuit breaker panel.
I then worked out which circuit is wired to the TV/DVD/Radio unit above the bed, this I disconnected from the circuit breaker.
I obtained a 115VAC rated DPDT switch (double pole double throw) as well as a general purpose power outlet with a surface mount box.
The DPDT switch is centre position off, then up or down are 'on'. 
The circuit to the TV combo I wired to the 'wipers' of the DPDT, then, one 115VAC output from the inverter to one of the 'on' poles of the DPDT and the circuit breaker circuit, that was directly wired to the TV combo, to the other 'on' position of the DPDT.
The second 115VAC output from the inverter I wired directly to the new general purpose outlet, which allows us to use mains operated appliances when not connected to external AC.
The extra outlet and the DPDT switch I located on the left side of the seat box, facing the kitchenette.
So, the way it works is, when we are connected to an external AC source at a campground, I flip the DPDT switch to what I call the 'EXT AC' 'on' position, then the TV combo is powered as originally designed.
When we are camping with no external AC power available and we want to watch TV, DVD or listen to the radio, I flip the DPDT switch to what I call the 'INV' 'on' position and the inverter comes into play.
Works a charm and this way we can use the TV combo anytime when we're not connected to an external AC source.
I also re routed the inverter power switch to a free spot on the circuit breaker panel.
I know it sounds confusing, but really is pretty straight forward if you've had a bit of experience with electrical wiring.
One important thing to remember, whenever using an inverter, the batteries of the RV are being used, so need to keep an eye on the charge level. I added a second battery to our R-Pod, this way, it gives us plenty more 'juice'.
If anybody is interested, I can draw up a simple diagram.
Other mods, made a wooden stove cover which can be used as a chopping board, also added some 3M adhesive hooks in strategic places.
Also added cargo tie down points in the external storage area.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 6:21pm
It sounds like a cool, well thought out solution to the situation. 

I'm wondering if anyone is using on of the cheaper modified sine wave converters and, if so, opinions?  My Stereo/DVD player runs on 12 volts.  However, my 19" LCD does not - it consumes about 55 watts, per the lable.  Other than the TV and maybe an occasional recharge of the cell phone, I wouldn't use an inverter much and have a hard time justifying to myself the cost of a pure sine wave.  However, it would be nice to be able to watch TV, if confined inside for a while, due to bad weather, when dry camping. 
creel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 6:31pm
It depends on what you are planning on running off of it. 
Pure sine wave is better, while modified sine wave will slightly reduce the life of the electrical device you are running off it. 
If you are only running very basic and cheap electrical devices such as kettles, toasters, basic battery chargers and other cheap devices, save your money and buy a standard inverter. 
If you were to be running expensive devices such as fridges TV's etc, then spending a bit extra on the pure sine wave inverter is reccommended. 
Modified sine wave can also induce 'noise' to an audio appliance which may result in a background buzzing or humming.
Fortunately most electronic devices including your laptop run on DC power and have buillt-in inverters and transformers, so in this case it will make no difference to it whether it is a square wave (standard inverter), or pure sine wave. You will actually be converting your car battery DC to AC via the inverter and then the laptop charger will convert it back to DC. 
There are some pretty well priced pure sine wave inverters available.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 7:01pm
Thanks for the opinion.  The TV I have now is/was a spare and cost about $200.  The pure sine wave inverters that I have seen were in the $200-250 range.  I have looked at some similar sized 12 volt TVs and they seem to be in a similar cost range (unless I upsize to a 26").

So, I am wondering.....
Should I gamble on the under $50 inverter?
Take my $200 TV and buy a $200 inverter for occasional use?
Spend a few more bucks and buy a different/bigger 12 volt TV?
And (reality check) do I really want to watch TV that bad? 
Ying Yang
creel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 7:11pm
well the 'really wanting to watch TV part'.....leave that one with you Wink
I tend to go overboard, 2000W is quite a powerful unit, but I rather be safe than sorry. Buy the best you can/are willing to afford, you never know, may just come in handy one day to have those extra watts the inverter can give you.
With ours, I can also run the convection micro wave that came with our 177 if we wanted to.
I would go for the pure sine wave, its just that much better for electrical and electronic appliances.
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 9:23pm
Two thousand watts is a lot of power.  It'll keep you happy for quite a while Smile

Personally, I use a little 120 watt inverter when I want to run my TV/DVD.  Fortunately, there is a factory-installed 12v outlet in the same cabinet with the 120v outlet that the TV/DVD plugs into, so its a quick and easy hookup.  Modified sine inverters have come a long way in a short time.  Many are rated for electronic devices and produce near-sine output.

However, most everything in our R-POD is aimed at dry camping.  I've installed a couple of 12v outlets inside and one 12v outlet outside for use while dry camping and we have carefully chosen 12v devices for our trailer.  I keep 12v chargers for our cell phones and for my netbook in the trailer (all bargains found on eBay).  We've also got a 12v AA/AAA battery charger (camera batteries), our mp3 stereo uses 12v, our pump to move fresh water from a portable container into our fresh tank uses 12v, and even our drill (for raising/lowering the stabilizers) recharges off of 12v.

We use a manual drip coffee maker and an over-the-burner toaster, so we have very little need of 120v power.  The air conditioner and the microwave are the only 120v-dependant devices and if we really need them while dry camping - or we'll be out more than three days and we'll need to recharge the battery - I'll cart along our 2200 watt (2400 watt peak) generator.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 9:24pm

How about 150 watts for $110?

http://www.solar-electric.com/sasiwain1.html

This company has a great solar electric forum, too.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
creel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 11:40pm
like I said, I tend to go overboard....but thats just me Smile
I looked at generators but so far have not deemed it a necessary accessory.
You are right, modified inverters have come a long way, however, without going into the technicalities of even a 'less square' square wave compared to a pure sine wave, it can still cause problems with appliances.
For now, I would still recommend a pure sine wave over a modified sine wave.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 6:58am
More thanks!

I have to agree with Creel that the pure sine wave is best.  But, like Outbound, most everything I use is 12 volts, already.  I also have a 12 volt "cigarette lighter" plug built into the coax/TV amplifier outlet near the TV.  It says it is rated at 8 amps, so that should be plenty for just the 55 watt LCD.

Tech- I looked at the ones you referenced and couldn't help but notice that the cheaper ones just said "sine wave", with no specs in the description.  The more costly ones said "pure sine wave" in the specs in the description.  Could it be that the less costly ones are modified sine wave?

Anyway, what got all of this going is that I finally broke down and purchased/installed a wall mount bracket for the LCD.  I noticed the inexpensive inverters and began to wonder???  Funny how one project tends to lead to another!  LOL

This is how it looked before the bracket install.  Judge Judy anyone???

creel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 8:41am
yes, the cheaper models out there, I would say, are 99% modified sine wave unless they state pure sine wave. If you read the fine print on those cheaper models, somewhere it will say modified sine wave.
The electronic circuitry of a pure sine wave is more complex than that of a modified sine wave, hence one of the reasons of their higher costs.
Just getting off topic here, the TV that came with the 177 is quite small, so the jury is still out in regards to perhaps upgrading to a larger screen size.......time will tell Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>