R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTaking a serious look tomorrow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking a serious look tomorrow
    Posted: 05 May 2011 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Chuck

I want to thank everyone for your thoughts. The used 177 that we were looking at got sold from under us. I guess that I need to be ready to pull the trigger a little faster. There will be a new one coming in soon and I was wondering if some of you would share the prices that you've been paying just so I have a baseline to work with.

Thanks
With options, the list price (rounding up) on my 2011 RP 177 was just over $21,000, but I got it for 15.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 6:56pm
Well, we paid Canadian prices which are much higher than yours so it won't help you but maybe someone closer to home can help.
Good luck finding one.  It does seem that some people trade them in finding them a bit too small for their needs. With gas prices the way they are, we are glad not to be towing anything bigger.
B
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
Chuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 4:14pm
I want to thank everyone for your thoughts. The used 177 that we were looking at got sold from under us. I guess that I need to be ready to pull the trigger a little faster. There will be a new one coming in soon and I was wondering if some of you would share the prices that you've been paying just so I have a baseline to work with.

Thanks
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 1:32pm
Hi Chuck,
  Tom and I are the same age as you and moved into our 177 this weekend. We bought it for pretty much the same reasons as you have given. Permanent bed, dinette for grandchildren or other guest. etc. Tom is 5'9' and said he slept well.
  There have been comments about the hardness of the bed but we like a firm mattress so it worked well for us.
  Saturday night we sat up until 11 reading and both of us mentioned that there seemed to be more than enough room for both of us and the dog.
  We have not used the bathroom yet as we had no water (went camping directly from the dealership!) but it worked well as a closetBig smile
  Hope to see you on here in future!
Happy campers,
Tom and Bette
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
Bigbit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 6:02pm
Outbound is dead-on with his "con" comments. We owned a 175 and had to trade it after a year because I just couldn't sleep with my 6'1" body in that 6'2" bed. My toes would strike the bottom wall and I'd be up all night. The bed in my new Trailmanor Elkmont is also 6'2" long but my feet hang off the edge into free space without issue. My mistake cost me thousands in lost value of the then used RPod, as well as the 9% sales tax I had to pay California on each purchase.

Be sure you can live with the "shortcomings" of the RPod before you buy, because once you've signed, you're committed...
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 11:52am
We looked at a lot of trailers at the Chicago RV show and came back to the 182G model.  The one time we've been able to take it out so far, we just left the table down and used it as a bed.  We'll most likely leave it that way unless we need to put it up to eat because the weather is icky outside.  

The 182G has a 19" TV by the table/bed, so we can lie down and watch it without any difficulty.  And while I'm 6'2" and have to curl a little to fit in the bed space, it's doable.  We had the two of us and the two cats all curled up on the bed sleeping.  

Craig's advice is good--get inside the trailer for a period of time by yourself and see how it feels to you and the spouse.  

Good luck!

Tim
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 9:43pm
Chuck, welcome.  I'm 5' 4" (lost an inch over the years) and the 'pod bed is just barely long enough for me.  Barely.  I've found my 'pod has more storage space than our old popup which had a 16 foot box and opened up to 26 feet.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 6:41pm
Good luck in choosing.....it is difficult.  All have offered great advise/opinions.

I used to own a 173 (dinette on one end, jack knife sofa on the other) and I slept on the dinette and was fine; although I used the sofa most often because it was more convenient.  I would think the grandkids would sleep OK on the dinette. 

Personally, if I were buying one today, I would get one of the slide or tent models...for the extra space and general "feel" of the unit. 
Chuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 2:55pm
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to comment. Outbound in particular for your thoughtful cons. In regards to camping for us? We've been tent camping for years. We have a wonderful 12X10 
Eureka tent that is as good as it gets along with cots and everything. That's the rub. I am really attracted to the not spending 2+ hours setting up a campsite. Heck, I'm currently pulling a 4' X 8' utility trailer full of stuff for the site. We're all about the outdoors as are the rest of our kids and grandkids. And that's the other issue. Doggonit, I'm 61 and getting dang tired of all the set up and tear down. Your comments about the shower and storage are the biggest questions in my mind. My goal is to be moving to a more "ready to hit the road" environment. Our TV is a 2011 Honda Pilot so we can get a bit larger but I sure am attracted to the overall size of the Pod. Oh yeah, 6' bed. Wow I won't know what to do. I'm 5' 7' and my wife is 5' 5'. No problem there. But we do need to know that our grandkids (2 at a time) will be comfortable on the dinette. I assume that should work but again would like comments.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.
marshwatcher View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 2:54pm
Chuck,
All good advice in the posts prior to mine. We have a 176T and the deal maker for us was having the bunks if we ever had anyone along with us (something we couldn't be sure wouldn't happen, even though there are just the two of us) and having the tent capability when and if we wanted it. We have slept in the bunks and on the dinette bed and both work just fine. We are tall people so that was a consideration. We also love sleeping in the tent part when the weather is right. It feels like camping and during the day with the tent out, the POD seems huge. All in all, the flexibility of our sleeping choices was the deal maker for us.

One more thought: the bunk area and under bunk storage are huge...it is bonus not to be missed in your consideration even if you never use the bunks for sleeping.

Best of luck in finding just the right Pod with your name on it!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>