R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTaking a serious look tomorrow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking a serious look tomorrow
    Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 11:52am
We looked at a lot of trailers at the Chicago RV show and came back to the 182G model.  The one time we've been able to take it out so far, we just left the table down and used it as a bed.  We'll most likely leave it that way unless we need to put it up to eat because the weather is icky outside.  

The 182G has a 19" TV by the table/bed, so we can lie down and watch it without any difficulty.  And while I'm 6'2" and have to curl a little to fit in the bed space, it's doable.  We had the two of us and the two cats all curled up on the bed sleeping.  

Craig's advice is good--get inside the trailer for a period of time by yourself and see how it feels to you and the spouse.  

Good luck!

Tim
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
Bigbit View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 6:02pm
Outbound is dead-on with his "con" comments. We owned a 175 and had to trade it after a year because I just couldn't sleep with my 6'1" body in that 6'2" bed. My toes would strike the bottom wall and I'd be up all night. The bed in my new Trailmanor Elkmont is also 6'2" long but my feet hang off the edge into free space without issue. My mistake cost me thousands in lost value of the then used RPod, as well as the 9% sales tax I had to pay California on each purchase.

Be sure you can live with the "shortcomings" of the RPod before you buy, because once you've signed, you're committed...
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 1:32pm
Hi Chuck,
  Tom and I are the same age as you and moved into our 177 this weekend. We bought it for pretty much the same reasons as you have given. Permanent bed, dinette for grandchildren or other guest. etc. Tom is 5'9' and said he slept well.
  There have been comments about the hardness of the bed but we like a firm mattress so it worked well for us.
  Saturday night we sat up until 11 reading and both of us mentioned that there seemed to be more than enough room for both of us and the dog.
  We have not used the bathroom yet as we had no water (went camping directly from the dealership!) but it worked well as a closetBig smile
  Hope to see you on here in future!
Happy campers,
Tom and Bette
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
Chuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 4:14pm
I want to thank everyone for your thoughts. The used 177 that we were looking at got sold from under us. I guess that I need to be ready to pull the trigger a little faster. There will be a new one coming in soon and I was wondering if some of you would share the prices that you've been paying just so I have a baseline to work with.

Thanks
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 6:56pm
Well, we paid Canadian prices which are much higher than yours so it won't help you but maybe someone closer to home can help.
Good luck finding one.  It does seem that some people trade them in finding them a bit too small for their needs. With gas prices the way they are, we are glad not to be towing anything bigger.
B
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Chuck

I want to thank everyone for your thoughts. The used 177 that we were looking at got sold from under us. I guess that I need to be ready to pull the trigger a little faster. There will be a new one coming in soon and I was wondering if some of you would share the prices that you've been paying just so I have a baseline to work with.

Thanks
With options, the list price (rounding up) on my 2011 RP 177 was just over $21,000, but I got it for 15.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 9:56pm
I'd expect a used RP177 to go for $9,000-$12,000, with an asking price around $14,000.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Chuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 10:04pm
I tried to reply on this one from my iPad and couldn't so that's why it was blank.
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Outbound

I'd expect a used RP177 to go for $9,000-$12,000, with an asking price around $14,000.

I agree.  Before I bought my new 2011 RP 177, I saw a 2010 in the Ebay classifieds for my area, and they were asking for $10,000, but by the time I made up my mind to go with the RP (and not the MPG or ChaletRV), the 2010 RP was gone -- and I don't think it was a slideout model either.

I am actually glad I went with the new one.  At first, I didn't care for the sink in the BR, but then I realized that sticky fingers (I have grandkids, you know) do not have to be washed in the area where food is prepared!

Good luck on your quest!  Smile
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Chuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 10:22am
Thanks again to everyone. It looks like a used 177 is going to be pretty hard to find and so I'm zeroing in on a new one. The final price looks like it will be around $14K and I'm just wondering if I can do better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>