R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTaking a serious look tomorrow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking a serious look tomorrow
    Posted: 06 May 2011 at 10:26am
I'm also beginning to consider a Surveyor SP-191T as a potential alternative but I really am attracted to the RP 177. Any thoughts out there?
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 11:28am

I can only speak for the 171 line, ours was listed in the upper teens and we got it for just over $12k, all options, new.  Others have done the same when buying a 171.  You don't have to go to the dealer in Ohio who advertises that price, either.  Tell your local dealer you want that price and stand firm, my dealer buckled in 10 minutes.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 12:41pm
We have a 2010 177 and love it. My dealer matched Ohio bid within 200 dollors and i have a deealer who is only 30 miles from us. You do not have to go with the big guys. Having a dealer close is a very big plus.
jayber View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 5:51pm
Unfortunately our local dealer could only come within 2 grand of RV Nation's price.  I would have preferred to buy locally but not for that difference.  We had initially thought we were going to get a 177, but the tv location over the bed probably wouldn't have lasted long with our bouncing baby boy.  The 171 seemed like the perfect fit. 
Jay
2010 Honda Odyssey
RP 171 aka PodInn
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 11:47am
some dealers have been know to work with you on pricing.  I purchased mine from the dealer I have used 3 times and is only 1/2 hour from my house and they at first did not want to work on pricing but caved in.  I did search the web for pricing but also looked at how much it would cost me to go someplace to pick up or have it delivered.  
Chuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 8:28pm
It looks like we'll probably end up buying locally. It will cost more but we really like the dealer and like the fact that they are 1/2 hour from the house. Now if they will just get the new 177 in that we're waiting on we'll be set. I just don't know how patient I can be. Cry
Chuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 2:45pm
Well, this afternoon we go to the dealer for a final comparison of the RP 177 and the Surveyor 191T. Then it's decision time. Anyone have any last guidance?
creel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 3:09pm
being a VERY happy owner of the RP 177 HRE, thats what I would recommend. I've never been a big fan of popup or 'pullout/foldout' style campers, not to mention here in MT, they are not recommended because of bears. Solid walls are a better bet here.
Good luck, whichever model you end up with, I'm sure you'll enjoy it and have a great time taking it out!
Chuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 4:13pm
Creel, thanks. Other than bears, which we also have here in WI, what other objections do you have to the "tent" foldout? I'd really like to hear your thoughts. I can't help but feel like we are overlooking potential problems. I know tears, leaking, mold/mildew have been assumed concerns that we have but I'm not sure that we should be concerned about those things although after years of tent camping and spending too much time repairing/drying out/cleaning up tents, I can't help but think that there would be similar issues. I guess that I'm really trying to talk myself out of the 191T but I'm also trying to be objective. It's not easy when your as opinionated as I am.
creel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 5:02pm
I'm sure that materials used in popups and pullouts have come a long way and obviously they sell, since most RV manufacturers who built compact models still have them in their lineup.
But I can't help but feel that there's where a weakness could be/is, in that canvass material.
Temperature inside the RV on a cold day is another thing, canvass just does not have the same insulating factor as what solid walls have.
Windy day/night, canvass moving and flapping, no matter how taught it is, it will still move and flap to some extent.
Setup, I just like pulling up at the site, unhitch, level out, connect services if available, move the slide out and voila!!
We looked at a popup and pullout before we bought the RP 177, once all set up, they do seem roomier and bigger, but, we did not buy an RV to live in it!
So, for us, from a general comfort and security point of view, a solid wall RV far outweighs anything a pop up and/or pullout can offer.
Hope this helps. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>