R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMod Squad (pod storage)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mod Squad (pod storage)
    Posted: 01 May 2011 at 4:00pm
You techie guys out there win hands down!  I'm no carpenter or mechanic,
and I can't compete with any of your technical expertise,
but JUST IN CASE someone MAY be interested (Ermm?), here are some pics
of the STORAGE MODS I've done on my 2011 RP 177.   

JUST storage mods -- NOT inverters, risers, battery cut-off switches, etc., etc., etc. (although I wish I could) -- JUST storage.

THE GALLEY
This is the galley.  I've put in a paper towel holder, cup rack, a wire shelf with baskets, and I made a stove top cover out of a tv tray (the idea is from another forum).  I'm no carpenter, I used rubber doorknob bumpers and rubber chair tips to make the "legs" of the cover.  The neat thing about it is that it doesn't slip or slide -- wish the legs weren't WHITE, though.

I also put some small woven fabric baskets above the microwave.

THE BATHROOM DOOR
The bathroom door has over-the-door shoe pocket storage.  On TOP of that is an over-the-door towel rack with graduating rails that stick further and further out.  To the left of the door is a clock (I used 3M velcro so it won't bounce off the wall), and a small pocket organizer.

THE SHOWER
That shower hose drove me crazy!  I wanted it to lie flat against the wall when I wasn't using the shower, so I used adhesive-backed hooks to hold the hose.  The mesh storage pocket and the corner shelf don't really look that "pretty" but I didn't want anything sticking out at me while I'm on the loo!  (Maybe that is TMI! Disapprove)

THE DINETTE BENCH
I have two 10-gallon storage tubs with lids which go inside the dinette bench.  Inside the bench are the 2 tubs, 2 collapsible crates, and an electric heater, Just this morning, I rolled up a couple of lightweight blankets into a plastic storage bag, and slipped them inside the bench, too.  There was ample room for all!

UNDER THE BED BASKETS (2)
I have 2 rolling laundry baskets under the bed, and still have room for a small duffel bag, or some narrow storage bags  -- you know -- the kind like blankets, quilts, or pillows come in.

OUTSIDE
An earlier forum suggested using PVC pipe to make extra sewer hose storage.  I asked HOME DEPOT to cut a 10' piece of PVC in half.  I bought the fittings for the end, glued them on with PVC glue, and screwed on end caps.  I really need to attach it to the tongue with brackets but right now it's just held on with a couple of bungee cords.  It isn't pretty but it works!  I did have to take off the hose fittings and store them in a small plastic tub in the R-Pod basement, but I can live with that.

Thanks for letting me share my storage solutions.   And thanks to everyone who gave me the ideas.   Happy Podding Everyone!

Diane
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

jayber View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 4:22pm
Nice job, I like the rolling baskets. My wife found some that fit in there real nice, I told her sending the 3yr old in after stuff would of worked just as wellBig smile
Jay
2010 Honda Odyssey
RP 171 aka PodInn
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 4:28pm
I disagree.....we all win....when friends such as yourself post such as you have.  We need the rest of you to "balance out" those of us who may get a little too involved in the minute technical details of things.  Embarrassed

All of what you did looks great and seems to provide good solutions to the situations.  Keep up the good work! 
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 4:42pm
Well, THANKS, Jayber (loved the comment about the 3-year old).  And David, I really do appreciate your uplifting words - you made me feel proud of myself!  Clap

Diane
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

jim park View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 5:08pm
hodge podge
nice work.do you remember where you got those laundry baskets?and if so the brand?everything i can find is either to tall or real short therefore wasting space.
thanks
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 5:21pm
You SHOULD be proud....you did great.  Yes, we do tend to talk a little too much "tech" and need people like you to post something else.  It's good and it is bound to be interesting to all and help someone.

Being a single guy, I don't use half of the storage that I have.  My idea of "packing" amounts to a toothbrush, bar of soap, towel, and a change of clothes LOL.  But, I still enjoyed reading and seeing what you have done.  Who knows...maybe one day I'll expand my "packing list" and some of your hints/tips/tricks will come in handy. 

Camping trips and pictures are always a great topic too.  People seem to really enjoy them.  My most popular post ever was a story and pictures of my trip to the Rocky Mountains.

Again, thanks for your post and, the rest of you, please jump in!
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 5:25pm
Great ideas! Will try to incorporate some of them, especially the PVC hose storage; as I somehow broke the door on the the stock tube last trip out. Actually, one of the little tabs on the latch broke off.
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by jim park

hodge podge
nice work.do you remember where you got those laundry baskets?and if so the brand?everything i can find is either to tall or real short therefore wasting space.
thanks

Jim the baskets came from TARGET. 
TARGET had the same basket (different colors) online at
(This is the green one.) But for this kind of thing, I prefer shopping in person, myself. 

Maybe the following measurements will help even if you can't find this exact basket.  This particular basket is a wheeled stacking basket (the handles flip to the inside for stacking).  The dimensions are:
20 inches L   x   16 3/8 W   x   10 3/4 inches H, and its the STERILITE brand.

The tubs inside the dinette bench are the HOMZ brand from K-Mart - they are 10 gallons.

Diane
2011 Mercedes ML350

Farmers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 6:45pm
Ah ha! Your 177 must be a later model than ours? You have a nice railing above the micro. We just have some slightly raised trim, but we were planning mods today and decided to put something up there that would function like your setup. You also have a sink in the loo.
Really like everything you did! Great tip on rolling basket source. I especially like the cup chimes.Big smile

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by David

Camping trips and pictures are always a great topic too.  People seem to really enjoy them.  My most popular post ever was a story and pictures of my trip to the Rocky Mountains.

Again, thanks for your post and, the rest of you, please jump in!

David, those were beautiful pictures, and quite an adventure trek, too!  What beautiful mountains!  I was on an airplane and gawking out the window the first time I saw the Rockies.  In awe, I remarked, "Wow, this is the first time I've ever seen the Rockies.  I'm only used to the Appalachians, but these are so different."

The passenger next to me replied with just a tinge of contempt, "Well, those aren't really mountains, are they?"

I answered, "Well, I'll admit there is something majestic, grandeur-like, and even forbidding about the Rockies."  But our mountains [the Appalachians] are more like an old grandma that hugs you and invites you to "Come on in and sit a spell."

She looked at me like I was absolutely crazy.  She didn't consider that the Appalachians are just OLD and wearing down, and the Rockies are still new and are still pushing up.  I don't think she got what I was talking about, do you?  Ouch   BUT OF COURSE THEY ARE MOUNTAINS!

Uh-oh, I regress.  Anyway, I just wanted you to know I enjoyed reading your adventures, and the pictures really did make the story so much better.  Good job, there!

Diane
2011 Mercedes ML350

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>