Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedmaiden trip to deception pass

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: maiden trip to deception pass
    Posted: 10 May 2011 at 7:53am
Thanks for the pics and it's true,  any time in the Pod is better than sitting at home.

Happy Podding
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2014 Silverado
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 8:04am
I got a chuckle at the champagne bottle, nice way to celebrate your new 'pod.  Unfortunately the tank sensors just aren't that accurate - they go as cheap as possible and accuracy is sacrificed as a result.  I've found the battery and fresh water sensors are good but the gray and black tanks you have to guesstimate.  Only the toilet empties into the black tank and you can see when it starts to fill up the pipe when you flush so that's your warning to empty it right away.  Over time you'll get a sense for how long the tanks will last.  We've gone an entire week by using the bath house for most daytime restroom trips when we are already out of the 'pod anyway.  A full weekend of dry camping and always using the 'pod's toilet isn't a problem either.  The low point for the gray tank is the shower basin.  With full hookups you can leave the gray tank valve open so long showers aren't a problem (until you run out of hot water), and when dry camping we can get 4 Navy showers out of the freshwater tank - and since the fresh and gray tanks are the same size its impossible to overflow it.

If you have full hookups remember you can NOT leave the black tank valve open.  You must wait until the tank is mostly full to ensure you get a good movement of water to flush out the contents.  If you leave that valve open all the time the solid contents will dry out and ruin the tank.  When I know my black tank is getting full I'll close my gray valve and get a couple of showers in to fill it up, because you want to dump the black tank and then dump the gray tank to flush out your sewer hose.  Then re-close the black valve and leave the gray one open again.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 10:28am
You really won't have a problem with your black tank.  It'll easily take a week (if not two) to fill it with a family of 4.  The grey tank, on the other hand, will likely fill in two days if you're taking short showers.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
pabloa3 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 11:03am
thanks for the advice techntrek and outbound...that is all very helpful.
2011 R-POD 172 HRE --> Pod-A-Saurus
2010 Nissan Xterra Offroad
psaman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 2:58pm
Great pictures of another happy POD family!!!LOL
2011 R-177 "Sponge-Pod"
2011 F-150 XLT "Texas Edition"
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 6:42pm
Thanks for the pictures/post!  It looks like you had fun.  Last weekend was my first out (this year) also.  Like you, I had to deal with rain.  But, like others have said, a rainy day camping is still great.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12