R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedInexpensive, but necessary security measures...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inexpensive, but necessary security measures...
    Posted: 23 May 2011 at 4:28pm
Guys, I've just received a couple of things for the Pod that I believe are necessary for you Pod security...

For the wheels, I bought two wheel locks and a Club Claw.

For the interior, I just bought a security alarm.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027YNEFU

I think these are necessary when you leave your Pod for half the day to shop those antique stores in various towns.  Clap 

Check it out.  
2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 5:44pm
Something to think about.  My question is, would a hitch pin lock not secure the RPOD well enough?  Or are you still wanting to secure the Pod AFTER you are unhooked and parked or boondocking?
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Hodge-PODge

would a hitch pin lock not secure the RPOD well enough?

Not really.  You can slip a hitch with a pin lock over a hitch ball fairly easily with a good stomp from your boot.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 6:48pm
My thoughts were that after unhooking my Pod and leaving it somewhere either dry camping or elsewhere, that it might be very easy for someone to by-pass the hitch locks or just tie a heavy chain around the tongue and role away with your Pod.  It won't be easy for them to do, but I've heard of folks who've had their camper stolen from enclosed storage bin facilities.  I want to make sure that who ever decides to chance taking my Pod, turns around and decides it's too much trouble and looks for an easier target.  
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 7:19am
I fixed your links for you.  The idea of using a wheel locking bar is a good one.  I think I'll be giving that a lot of thought!  The interior alarm system probably would not work for me.  I leave a window cracked open and the roof vent open for air circulation.  That takes care of heat build up and moisture build up.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by secretbard

My thoughts were that after unhooking my Pod and leaving it somewhere either dry camping or elsewhere, that it might be very easy for someone to by-pass the hitch locks or just tie a heavy chain around the tongue and role away with your Pod.  It won't be easy for them to do, but I've heard of folks who've had their camper stolen from enclosed storage bin facilities.  I want to make sure that who ever decides to chance taking my Pod, turns around and decides it's too much trouble and looks for an easier target.  

You have the right idea....you can deter them, but not stop them.  If they are determind, they'll get it.  They don't even need to bring a chain because you've provided them with one. A person need only twist the slack out of the safety/breakaway chains, raise the tongue jack and drive off.

My approach has been to provide some level of security.  Beyond that, keep my insurance paid up.  I'll get a new camper for the price of my deductable.  Most likely, they'll move on to easier pick'ins.
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 6:36pm
Like the look of that Club Claw and I think we will add it to our shopping list.
We use the Club on our van steering wheel whenever we are en route to and from antique shows.
Thanks for the link.
B
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
jayber View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 8:50pm
I have a hitch pin lock but that's about all I plan on getting. I'm of the mind that if someone really wants something their going to get it regardless of what I do to try and deter them. Like David said keep your insurance up to date. 
Jay
2010 Honda Odyssey
RP 171 aka PodInn
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 11:17pm
The way I look at it, the Pod is my home away from home (and in my case, when I'm off doing my PhD thing, I'm going to be living in that home for long stints), thus, like a home I've been putting some keep sakes and irreplaceable items in there to make me feel like I am home.  You may say, well, leave that stuff at home, but what I consider as keep sakes are college books stuffed with notations and scholarly writings as well as notes and a journal.  Think about all the personal touches you've made to your Pod, all that TLC... then imagine the whole thing is gone.  I don't know about you, but I'd rather have the Club and the alarm to ward off the bad intentions of the few.  Yes, if they want it bad enough, they will get in or steal the whole Pod, but I'm going to make it very hard for them.  Ok, that's the end of my salesman's spiel.  Tongue  
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
jayber View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 12:13pm
Well now I feel bad. If I had a bunch of phd work in my pod I would probably have a gun turret on the roof to keep everyone away.  Right now all we have in our pod is a bunch of kids toys and if somebody wants those, they would be doing me a favorWink
Jay
2010 Honda Odyssey
RP 171 aka PodInn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>