R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedpodmod: Rear Shelf

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: podmod: Rear Shelf
    Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 8:35pm
Outbound, looking back would you have done anything different?  I think I'm going to tackle this this weekend.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by techntrek

Outbound, looking back would you have done anything different?  I think I'm going to tackle this this weekend.

To tell the truth... no, I wouldn't change the design at all.  I think that the minimalistic look works the best and helps to prevent a closed-in/cluttered feeling.  I'm very happy with the results.  I'm also very happy with my stain selection on the select pine that I used.

Just make sure that you:
a) Use a double-wide piece of wood on the end of the frame against the curve of the roof.  It has to be ripped at an angle to accommodate the curve of the roof.  I didn't take this into account when I built and ripped mine, so I ended up having to glue a second piece against it on the inside of the frame to add strength.
b) Fasten the moulding on the front and the top and bottom finished plywood with screws (along with using screws in the molly bolts) instead of using glue... Just in case you have to remove the shelf.

Good luck with your shelf!

Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 10:17pm

So far so good, I have the wall anchors in place and moved the pocket thingy down a few inches.  The hardest part, as always, was putting that first hole in the wall.  My shelf is going to be roughly 2/3 the width of the bathroom wall, mostly because I already have a scrap piece of plywood that is cut to that width with straight edges and a decent finish.  I thought about going all the way but I'm worried about bumping my head when I sit up if I do.  I'm going to rip strips of plywood to mount to the wall anchors, I used 1" anchors and kept the original screws which leaves me with about 1/2" of throw when they are all the way out.  Using 1/4" plywood and possibly countersinking a little I should be fine.  I'll probably use finishing nails to secure the shelf floor to the anchored strips.

I ran out of time because I also had to mow the lawn tonight, I'm not sure I'll have time until Saturday to finish it.  But, thanks to Outbound for the kick in the butt to finally get this done.  I've only wanted this since I bought my 'pod almost 2 years ago.

DocTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2011 at 7:51pm
Got a shelf built and installed yesterday morning (a carpenter friend did mine did the work).  We made the lip a bit wider, otherwise no change. The only problem . . . the shelf was squared up perfectly but the pod is slightly off square. Worked OK though, and will be very helpful, we plan on using it to store sweatshirts, towels, jackets, rain gear, extra TP and paper towels, etc. Light stuff!
Thanks again for the idea and plans.
Brush and Floss, It is the Secret of Life!
drjenk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 12:38am
Hey this was such a good idea I did it also.  But has anyone found a decent bungie cargo net that would fit?  Or is the only way to buy some bungie cord and knot it?

Thanks
DocTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 9:04am
I didn't put a net on. I have a little deeper lip that seems to hold things in place. When travelling I only have light/bulky objects like towels, paper products, rain gear, blanket, pillows etc. When we stop we use it for other heavier things, but when not moving there isn't too much danger of anything coming down. So far it hasn't been a problem.
Brush and Floss, It is the Secret of Life!
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 1:11pm
You can go to an auto parts store, they have various sizes of stretchable cargo netting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12