Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Campers Flea Market
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWant to buy Rpod 152

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Want to buy Rpod 152
    Posted: 27 May 2011 at 11:43am
I am looking for a light R-pod for weekend camping.  My van should not tow much above 2000 lbs. so I am a little limited!   I think that the R-pod 152 would fit us pretty well.  I have seen a couple out there, but they are too far away (i.e., Washington, Florida)!  I am in Minnesota and can travel to other states in the Mid-West.  Contact me at 651-451-1861 or email at hbrient@gmail.com .
Happy camping!

Update: No longer limited in tow capacity.  I have a new van that can tow almost any R-pod! So now I will be looking around for 171, 177 and others!
tdrace View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 12:31pm
WHAT KIND OF VAN DO YOU HAVE? MY 173 WEIGHS 2300 LBS.
tdrace's
2018 180
2010 FORD F150 V-8
equalizer e-2 hitch
Sisters on the Fly #1569
tdrace View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 12:33pm
HAVE YOU CHECKED RV-NATION. THEY WILL DELIVER TO YOU. THEY MAY KNOW OF ONE. I DON'T THINK THEY MAKE THEM ANYMORE. BEST OF LUCK!
tdrace's
2018 180
2010 FORD F150 V-8
equalizer e-2 hitch
Sisters on the Fly #1569
hbrient View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 12:37pm
I have kept my eye on RV Nation.  I am trying to keep the weight down because the towing capacity is only 2000 lbs.  I figure I will be much safer if I start with something below that weight.  I am learning a lot about towing and I have never towed a trailer this size before - only small utility trailers.  Still learning!
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 12:52pm
I'm sorry, but with a tow capacity of 2000 pounds, you simply won't be able to tow any R-POD ready for camping.  You should really be looking at a trailer of no more than 1100 pounds dry weight.

Things carried inside your tow vehicle must also be considered while towing.  That includes passengers and any gear you carry in the back.  In addition, a trailer's stated dry weight does not include the weight of propane or a battery, any add-ons like microwave or air conditioner, or food, linens, water or any other gear stored in the trailer.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
hbrient View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 12:59pm
Yes, I am aware of this.  With the exception of things like the propane and battery, I am looking at towing the trailer dry with the occasional short distance to dump (filling up and dumping on site).  This is the only way I could make this happen until I upgrade to a better towing vehicle.  This is why I am looking for a bare minimum 152 which comes in under 2000 lbs.  I have talked to some people that have done this and it seems feasible to me.  Any other suggestions?
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 8:40pm
Make sure your rear shocks and springs are in tip top shape and add a cooler to your tranny.  A weight distribution hitch would probably be a must for you also.  Be sure your brakes are in good shape too.

Terry
PS: Don't use overdrive or your tranny might overheat.

RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
hbrient View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 9:36pm
OK, the rear shocks and springs are brand new on my van and good quality.  I will be installing a transmission cooler as recommended by my mechanic.  Luckily, I can manually downshift my van so that it does not try to stay in overdrive - so that is a relief. 

I was told that the trailer and its tongue wt are not significant enough to need a wt distribution hitch.  I looked up some of the requirements and this does appear to be true.  However, I do plan to have a sway bar at the very least.   Plus electric brakes for the trailer! 

I hope I am on the right track and have been asking the right questions.  I hope that this is not just wishful thinking!!!
Thanks for your input! 
ToddsPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 10:42pm
I tow my 172 (dry weight 2220 lbs.) with my 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L V6. It didn't come with the tow package, but we had the dealer install a hitch when we bought it, knowing we'd use it someday. They are only rated at 2000 lbs without the tow package, but with the package they are at 3500 lbs. The only difference I could find is that the factory tow package includes suspension leveling and the hitch. The 2006 already has a tranny cooler (integrated with the radiator). I added leaf suspension helpers rated at +1500 lbs. which lifted the rear end about 1.5 inches. We've been towing the 172 for a year now without weight distributing hitch or sway control without any problems. I've toyed with the idea of adding another tranny cooler, and I probably will if we ever decide to take it on trips longer than a couple hundred miles. But for short trips it does quite well. Mileage in the 9-11 range going 55-65mph. Luckily there aren't a lot of ups and downs here in SE Texas.

'07 Dodge RAM 1500 ST Longbed QuadCab 4.7L V8 --- '10 Forest River R-Pod 172
hbrient View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 10:04pm
Well...I am no longer looking for a 152.  I just traded my VW Routan SE for a VW Routan SEL which has the tow prep.  So now I can tow up to 3500 pounds!!!!!  Big smile Yeah!  I got a super deal on the trade-in and overall it cost me less than it would have last year (when I bought the SE).

Now I will be looking at almost all of the R-pod models to find just what I want.  I am very excited to have more options!

All advice was a appreciated!  You all have helped me make the right decision! 
Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>