Topic ClosedShopping for new TV ~ need advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shopping for new TV ~ need advice
    Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 7:10am
We have been pulling our '09 172 with an '04 Nissan Quest with an after-factory tow package (sorry, I'm not fluent in man-speak).  The Quest currently has 105,000 miles and seemed to have a little trouble returning from our Memorial Day trip.  It had some difficulty accelerating sometimes and also the temp got too high for our comfort level.  When we turned off the AC, it cooled down, but the heat index outside was 105 here on Monday.  So, we're wondering if the old Quest will be reliable for our future outings with the pod.

We'd love to stick with a mini-van because of the ample seating for our family of 4 plus other family/friends.  Our concerns about switching to an SUV, even one with extra seats, is the roominess inside and gas mileage.  Also, I run a book business, and at 5'1" I am able to lift boxes of books into a van, and I'm not sure how high I could get them if we had an SUV.

Any recommendations based on our concerns?  Thanks!
pmjensen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 10:08am
Here is my 2 cents worth.  I believe your Quest has a towing capacity of 3500 lbs.  I had an 09
Equinox with the same towing capacity and towed in similar conditions.  I didn't have any problems with over heating, but I was always concerned about the rpm, which when towing into the wind many times would get into the 3800-4000 range which I was not really comfortable with.  We now have a 2011 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab.  I don't recall what the weight of theh 172 is, but with gear and people your probably pushing 3000 lbs.I would look for something with a towing capacity of at least 5000 lbs or more,  particularly for a family of 4. 

Happy Podding
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2014 Silverado
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 12:30pm
I agree that you need something with a 5000 pound towing capacity, in general that will put the other specs where you want them (horsepower, torque, etc).  While the actual weight of the 'pods is fairly low we've all experienced the unusually high wind load that appears above 50 mph.  Add a head wind with a vehicle like the Quest and you are sitting still.  On a recent trip to FL we had such a bad head wind I had to drop down to 50 mph to keep my minivan from downshifting into 2nd several times a minute - and my mpg dropped to 8.  I decided on that trip that I need to upgrade in the near future, too.  I'm looking at either Nissan or Toyota full-sized pickup, with a full-sized 4 person cab (called different things by various manufacturers). 

Another number to look at is wheel base.  Some SUVs with 5000 pound capacities have shorter wheel bases, and longer wheel bases give you a more stable ride when towing.  A fully-enclosed vehicle is appealing to me but I've crossed most of the SUVs off my list because of the wheel base.  Since my TV really is mostly used for towing I want it to be the best towing vehicle it can be.

Other things that can be useful but aren't strictly necessary for towing are:
-- 4 wheel drive (better handling when towing in the rain, plus a bonus in winter even when you aren't towing)
-- factory-supplied braking controller or braking controller connection (I prefer aftermarket controllers and it usually isn't hard to find the proper wiring connections if there isn't a factory plug)
-- 4+ rear-end gear ratio (with much more powerful engines available today I don't think its as critical as it was just 10 years ago, and sub-4 ratios will give you slightly better mpg)
-- cruise control (personally this is a must-have for long trips)
-- "trip computer" (I think a Scan Gauge is much more useful for towing than a factory trip computer)
-- factory pull-out towing mirrors (you can get clip-ons from auto parts stores much cheaper, and you really don't need them with the 'pod since its fairly narrow)

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 12:42pm
I fully agree with the minimum 5000 pound towing capacity.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to compromise somewhere, and I suspect that it'll be the fuel economy.  Also, now is the time to look 2-3 years into the future and ask yourself if you'll still have the R-POD, or if you'll be moving into a larger trailer.  We all love our compact R-PODs, but a growing family has its needs.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 12:44pm
Hi Duckbooklady,
  We have some of the same concerns. We are towing with a 2003 Grand Caravan 3.3L. We like the space inside the van for our antiques business and I being 5'2, don't want to jump up into a truck everytime we go somewhere.
  Tom is really unhappy with the RPMs when we are towing and I have been searching this site for clues as to which vehicle would work better for us. This would be our only vehicle so I'm really not in favor of a truck. Gas mileage would be an issue too as we drive across Canada at least once a year. Our kids are grown now so we could manage with 5 seats, I think. We usually leave our bench seat at home when camping or on long trips.
Let's have some suggestions. Oh yes, you can leave out the Mercedes as we have a budget too. 
B
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 5:12pm
Well... I'm a few years off for purchasing a new tow vehicle.  Personally, I'll be looking at the Ford F150 and I'll be taking a long look at the new V6 twin turbo engine.  Although the power curve compared to the 5 litre V8 concerns me and makes me wonder how fuel efficient this engine will be under real-world towing conditions.

But, trucks aren't for everyone, so options may include:

Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 6:14pm
Thanks, Outbound. That gives us some place to start looking. My husband would be the first to tell you he is NOT into cars. For us they are just wheels; good when they go and bad when they don't.
But I don't like him feeling like a nervous wreck when dragging the Pod. It's not a good start to a vacation.
B
Tom and Bette
tdrace View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 8:54pm
I just changed from my Santa fe Hyundai v-6 to a Ford f-150 v-8. I am so pleased. I feel like I can go anywhere and not worry if I will make it or not. The Santa fe pulled great even in the Smokies, but it did work harder. The truck gets around 20-21 on the road, 12-13 towing about the same as the Santa Fe.
tdrace's
2018 180
2010 FORD F150 V-8
equalizer e-2 hitch
Sisters on the Fly #1569
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 12:20pm
We found a new tow vehicle! We are going to be towing with a 2005 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8. It has a hitch and the 7-pin connector for the lights but they are installing a brake control today before we pick it up tonight.
Since we got a good deal on an older unit, we have decided to keep our Grand Caravan for driving around town.
The Durango is taller and I mentioned that I did not want to be jumping into a truck but I can manage this one with the help of running boards and the roof handle.
Thanks Outbound for your help as it got me started looking in the right direction. I spent a week immersed in car culture which I am now going to delete from memory! LOL I will say though that searching the internet made the hunt easier and gave us some bargaining power at the dealership.
B
Tom and Bette
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Snowbound

Let's have some suggestions. Oh yes, you can leave out the Mercedes as we have a budget too. 
B
Dang, Bette!  I love my Mercedes . . . the ML350 tows like a dream . . . with a 7500 lbs. towing capacity.  But  I bet you will love the Durango, and feel much safer, too.

If you had told me 10 years ago (or even 5) that I would EVER be driving, much less TOWING with a Mercedes, I would have said you were crazy!  But I am going to enjoy the blessing while I have it.  I have to admit I like that German engine even though I can't technically explain why. LOL

Congrats on the "new" TV and keep us informed on how the Durango pulls the pod on your next outing.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>