Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Hodge POD's first trip

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Hodge POD's first trip
    Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 8:12pm
Finally, after driveway camping for several weeks, the Hodge POD went on its first trip not too far from home at Fort Mountain State Park in the northwest Georgia mountains.  Most of the family came up for a Memorial Day picnic and two of the grandsons stayed for the night.  The grandsons had such a good time cooking hot dogs on the grill, we had to repeat the ritual again at lunch the next day.  They said it was the best camping trip ever! 

About the trip . . .climbing 8 miles up a winding mountain road I was a little nervous because it was the first time I had towed the pod uphill with my new car (all wheel drive).  Long story short, I arrived just fine, set up camp, and everything on the pod worked great.  I had practiced a lot and paid attention to the info posted here in the forum.  I had a shady spot and no rain was expected so I still have yet to set up the R-Dome.

It was 90+ degrees so I opted out of hiking up to the mysterious stone fort ruins.  I'll save that hike for the cooler fall weather.  And I say "mysterious" because the fort was built before Columbus, and the Cherokee were not known to have built stone forts.  And we do know now that America probably had other European visitors before Columbus.  One theory is the fort was built by Prince Madoc of Wales who is believed to have made at least two landings in Mobile Bay, Alabama.

Here's a few pics of what the park looks like . . .

The beach at Fort Mountain Lake - don't know the people in the photo!

Grandsons in the lake

Campsite

Grandsons in Campsite.  The "Hodge-PODge" graphics are by Iamsmonk (from this forum).
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

tdrace View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 8:39pm
Very nice! Looks like a great campground! Super Pictures! I am glad all went well.
tdrace's
2018 180
2010 FORD F150 V-8
equalizer e-2 hitch
Sisters on the Fly #1569
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 8:45pm

Beautiful park, Diane.

Your grandsons look just a bit older than mine who are 7 and 4. Our first trip included them too.

Glad to hear everything worked well and thank you for the pictures!
B
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 8:49pm
Snowbound, I couldn't stand it when they went home!  For sure, the trip wasn't as much fun without the boys.
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Podsible Dream View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 9:20pm
Sure looks like nice park! I hope all the pod mechanics behaved themselves. Did the boys get to make s'mores?
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Podsible Dream

Sure looks like nice park! I hope all the pod mechanics behaved themselves. Did the boys get to make s'mores?

Not S'mores, but they did roast marshmallows - at least I remembered that much.  But darn, if that wasn't the first thing they asked me when they got there was, "Nana, did you bring the stuff to make S'mores?"  Well, I did remember ALMOST everything.

The Pod mechanics worked great, no problems at all.  And a whole lot easier to hook up and tow for me than a fifth wheel, and setting up camp was so much easier than setting up a popup camper.  So I was pleased on all counts.
2011 Mercedes ML350

iamsmonk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 9:39pm
Sounds like you had a great trip.  What a wonderful looking place to camp! Sharp looking pod you have there as well. Loved all the pics.
Sherrie & Carol,
Henri, Jay & Tanner
2004 Dodge Dakota w/4.7 V8
2011 r-pod 177

Let's go camping!
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 8:39am
It looks like the grandsons had a blast, and the park is very pretty.  

Tim
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 8:53am
Glad you had a great trip! 
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 10:04am
Originally posted by iamsmonk

Sounds like you had a great trip.  What a wonderful looking place to camp! Sharp looking pod you have there as well. Loved all the pics.

Iamsmonk,

The pod should look sharp -- YOU designed the vinyl lettering! Tongue And I thank you very much for it.  (If you ever do lettering for another one like mine, I suggest that the leaf the frog sits on be a lighter green, so the frog sihouette shows up better.  I know it was my choice but after seeing it on the pod in the daylight, that's what I think.  But you did exactly what I asked for and I'll be the first one to tell anyone that your design, lettering, and service was first class! -- THANKS!)

First thing my son-in-law said when he saw the lettering for "The Hodge PODge"  was "We need to name our popup!"
2011 Mercedes ML350

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>