Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFun until we hit a deer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fun until we hit a deer
    Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 4:12pm
This weekend my fiance and I took our R-pod out for an exciting adventure to a Wisconsin resort that we had never been to before.  We only were going for the weekend and it was a last-minute decision to head out.  We quickly packed up, grabbed the dogs, and headed out.  The weather was beautiful the entire weekend and only had to turn the air on one night.  I love having all the conveniences of home with me.  However, there was no t.v. reception where we were but it all seemed good as the weather was cooperating so no need to watch for weather alerts.  The resort was ok.  We were in great spirits on the drive back until 15 minutes after we were driving back home, a deer ran into the front of the R-pod breaking a three foot crack in the wood and fiberglass.  I could have just cried.  All that kept going through my head was "how much is this going to cost, how long will I be without a camper, and my kids will be so disappointed."  I can't imagine a summer without it.  It only happened today and I think I could still cry.  Keeping my fingers crossed that we will be back on the road soon.Cry
BIG BEAR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 7:27pm
dang bro thats a real bummer. luckily u and your fiancee are okay. hope your back on the road soon
LIFE DOESNT WAIT. ENJOY IT. THE ALIEN CRAFT 2011 SURVEYOR SPORT TOYOTA FJ CRUISER
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 8:04pm
Ouch!  Cry  (For you AND the deer.)
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 10:02pm

Welcome!  If the repair timeframe will cut into upcoming trips, see if you can just tape some heavy-duty plastic over the damage and put off the repair for a month or three.  Let us know how the process goes, I'm sure many here will be interested and pulling for you.

If you can get a data plan for your cell phone you can keep up with weather alerts on your laptop or cell phone.  I do this all the time on trips where they are calling for bad weather.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
2Peas-n-Rpod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 11:49pm
I feel for you. On our very first trip with our first trailer (not the R-Pod, fortunately) a deer ran right into the front corner of our trailer. Bent the snot out of everything and busted the black tank drain. Since we were in the middle of the Cascades, we had to tape up things the best we could (Duct Tape!!) and limp on in to Newport for repairs. So glad that you are okay, though. And I know exactly what thoughts went through your mind! Hope all the repairs go well and you are back into camping soon!
Good Luck!
2011 R-Pod 182G Hood River Edition
"Ribbitt" Pod (now sold)
2000 Ford F150 5.4L V8 TV
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 10:52am
I would think that the insurance will cover the repairs up to the deductible so that part may not be so bad though they may want the trailer repaired sooner than later.  In the greater scheme of things, however, you and your fiancées safety is of upmost importance, and I'm glad to see that you made it out of there okay.  

Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
Caverkim View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 8:45pm
sorry to hear of this, hope you get it fixed quickly!  
caver*pod 175/Louisville KY
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 3:23am
WELCOME to the forum!  That is a real bummer about the r-Pod!  I think we would all love to see some pictures if you don't mind.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 2:00pm
So glad you are okay.  When you have that sick feeling in the bottom of your stomach remember this mess will soon be behind you and you will have plenty of time to camp in future.
Best of luck.
B
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
Chuck View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 6:38am
As a resident of Wisconsin, i want to apologize for our inhospitable deer. Hope the repairs go well. We should try to get a MN/WI rally going.
Z-pod
Chuck Janet & Bogie the dog
'12 RP 177
1972 Shasta 1400
2005 Ford F-150 5.3L V8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>