R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedhelp! funny noise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: help! funny noise
    Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 10:53pm
I'm hoping one of you tech guys can help with this. We got a new brake control added to our new- to-us TV yesterday. It was installed by the car dealership, not the RV dealer.  Now when Tom towed it around the block it made a noise which sounded like it was coming from the Pod tire or axle.  Errrrrrrgh thunk. Errrrrrgh thunk. Did not matter if he was driving or backing. I did also hear the water sloshing in the freshwater tank but that was a definite water sound. This is the first time we have the water full and drove it.
B
We had a different brand of brake control on the Caravan and it definitely did not make this noise.
When I t urned the setting to zero - no noise.  I went around the block again and no noise until the last few feet on stopping?  Any ideas? 
T
Tom and Bette
in our 177 "The Gastropod"
ToddsPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 5:52am
This sounds very familiar. I noticed this sound, I think it's what you're hearing, when I back mine up. When I turned the controller down to zero, it went away. I think it has to do with the torsion axle. The brakes are ment to only engage while rolling forward. If they engage while reversing, it would apply torque to the axle in the wrong direction, causing strain to build up and the trailer to actually rise up a little, then eventually release, sounding like a *clunk* or a *thunk* as the trailer returns to rest on the axle. I never experienced it while going forward, though. This is just what I experienced, and I had no problems once I turned the controller down. I'm by no means an expert.

I think if you had no problems like this with the previous TV/brake controller, you can eliminate all other suspects.

Thinking more on it, I suppose it could happen in forward, as well, if the brake calipers are not retracting properly. They may be sticking, or the controller may not be disengaging correctly.

'07 Dodge RAM 1500 ST Longbed QuadCab 4.7L V8 --- '10 Forest River R-Pod 172
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 12:03pm
Hmmm, do you feel the vehicle pulsating, like its varying the amount of braking force that seems to sync with the sound?  If you upgraded to an intertial braking controller (like the Tekonsha P2) I wonder if it isn't mounted at the correct angle.  Most of them need to be within a certain degree of horizontal.  My older Prodigy I think must be less than 45 degrees.  If yours is too far it may be getting confused and thinks the additional braking force when it starts to apply the trailer brakes is additional braking force coming from you in the TV.  So it applies more trailer brakes, then thinks you've applied more brakes, getting into a feedback loop until it realizes there's a problem and releases them.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 12:37pm
Our brake control is a Curt Discovery. It is supposed to have electronic read outs for shorts or overloaded circuts. These are not displaying any problems nor is the Er for for internal control error.
As far as I could tell the same noise happens- no degree of noise changing with the amount of brake force.
Tom is at work now (41 days to go) but will check it more before we take off tonight.
Tom and Bette
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Snowbound

Our brake control is a Curt Discovery. It is supposed to have electronic read outs for shorts or overloaded circuts. These are not displaying any problems nor is the Er for for internal control error.
As far as I could tell the same noise happens- no degree of noise changing with the amount of brake force.
Tom is at work now (41 days to go) but will check it more before we take off tonight.

I did a quick search on your controller and it says it is a "timer" type.  The situation you discribe may not be a worry, if your Pod is stopping smoothly and effectively.  The timer controllers will go from no brake pressure (when the brakes are not applied) to the full setting that you have set the controller to - in a matter of moments - regardless of how hard the TV is braking.  The sounds you are hearing are the brakes engaging and releasing.  They are electric and you will hear some sounds as they work; especially with a timer controller.  They are going from full off to full on ( as "full" as you have them set) and when you release the brake, they will snap back to the full off position.

These controllers are activated only by the brake lights on your TV.  You don't even have to be moving.  If the the brake lights on your TV come on, so will the brakes on the Pod.

Disclaimer: If there is any doubt about the safety of your brakes - consult a certified professional.  

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 9:09pm
Have you tried having someone walk next to the 'pod while the brakes are applied, to see if its only coming from one side or both?  I'm worried that the new brake controller is a coincidence and something is wrong with one of the bake assemblies.  If you hear it from both sides then that's less likely.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 6:12am
Originally posted by techntrek

Have you tried having someone walk next to the 'pod while the brakes are applied, to see if its only coming from one side or both?  I'm worried that the new brake controller is a coincidence and something is wrong with one of the bake assemblies.  If you hear it from both sides then that's less likely.

Agreed, this info would be helpful to know.  I am also curious what controller you have in the Caravan.
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 2:14pm
Hi David and Doug,
  I just made an apointment to take in the Pod and Durango on the 21st. to get to the bottom of that weird noise. We will let you know the outcome. Thank you so much for your help though.
I'll have to wait until Tom is home to find out what brand the controller is on the Caravan. It's at work with him.
B
Tom and Bette
Snowbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 1:58pm
Mystery solved. The noise WAS caused by the brakes engaging and disengaging. It took the service man about 1 minute to determine this. He said it was perfectly normal and checked out the settings on the brake control readout as well and was nice enough to explain to this unmechanical woman how the magnets on the brakes worked. Magnets! Who knew?
He also set up a new hitch Tom had bought on the weekend, lowering the front end of the pod when we tow it and ordered a new face plate for the pod's electrical box. We had trouble with the old one coming down all the time as it is located under the front settee and when we took a closer look, one plastic hinge pin was broken off.. So no charge for anything and our concerns are gone.
B
Tom and Bette
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 2:48pm
Dang....I was right Star!!!!

I have heard it said that even a blind squirrel will find a nut every now and then. LOLLOL

Glad everything is/was OK.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>