R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStain color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stain color
    Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 11:32pm
Ok, so I've seen a few things inside (rails around the dinette are one of them) that could use some stain.  I see some of the mods that folks have done look really really close to stock, but I haven't found where people list which brand/color of stain they are using to get this match. 

I ran a few searches, but I have a feeling I'm looking for the wrong thing.  A search for "stain" brought up mostly references to sustained wind/driving speeds, and color match didn't find anything.  I found one person that said a light walnut stain was close, but no picture, and no mention of which brands light walnut.

Anyone happen to know this information?  I've got a few things I'm going to be adding eventually too, and I'd love for it all to match.
Tri-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 12:02am
Outbound recommends. Varathane Light Walnut #236. I have not tried it but will very soon. Good luck. Clark
2010 PR 176 sold 2012 replaced with
2013 SP 240 w outside kitchen
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
Me, My Honey, and Max our GSP
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Tri-Pod

Outbound recommends. Varathane Light Walnut #236. I have not tried it but will very soon. Good luck. Clark

Wink

Its very close.  A coat of sealer, followed by two coats of stain, followed by two coats of polyurethane and finish it up with a light sanding.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
FISHTAIL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 3:57pm
Cool.  What brand did you use?  Cabot?  Minwax?  And probably most importantly, what type of wood?  Pine?
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 5:36pm
Brand?  As Tri-Pod mentioned, Varathane.  Bought it at Home Depot.

As far as wood, I used select pine.  I've also used it on poplar veneer plywood with similar results.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
FISHTAIL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by Outbound

Brand?  As Tri-Pod mentioned, Varathane.  Bought it at Home Depot.

As far as wood, I used select pine.  I've also used it on poplar veneer plywood with similar results.

My bad, I completely missed that.  I must have read that post 3 times, and I still never saw that word...lol.  Sorry.  But thanks for the tips guys, I'll go check that out this week sometime.  I've got to head down that direction anyway to get sears to replace part of a brake line flaring tool I broke yesterday.
FISHTAIL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 1:43pm
Alright, so I checked out that stain and didn't look as close to me as some others.  Cabot pecan is very close, but a little to brown.  Cinnamon (Cabot again) is closer still.  Unfortunately at first glance I thought pecan was a near perfect match, so I stained all the wood under the cushion's with it.  It's close enough that it looks nice, so I'm not upset about it, but I'm glad I didn't use it on anything that's readily visible.

I'm going to try two more things before I pick one for the crib assembly.  First, I'm going to have lowes scan and custom mix a quart based off of a panel I bring in, and failing that, i'm going to call back Forest River (who doesn't know themselves actually), find out who they get the wood from, then call that company and ask them.  

So far though I've sanded the front corners off of the dinette supports, stained that wood (pecan, but it looks like a spot on match down there in the shadows), as well as the wood under the bottom bunk cushion, and all the dinette seats.  Everything looks nice thus-far but I'm going to do my best to ensure the new stuff I add (for the TV mount and the crib) are a spot on match.  After that, I'll leave no wood unstained in the camper..might as well use up most of quart I paid for.

Anyway, I'll report back with my findings, probably in a week or two.
FISHTAIL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 1:58pm
Eh, I got impatient and called.  The interior color is called Madelyn maple (sp) and is supplied by Adorn, LLC.  So I looked up the number of the supplier and called them.  They were helpful, but it was a dead end.  They don't use a 3rd tier supplier for their stains, they are all mixed in house, so she wasn't able to give me a brand/color to go by.  So much for that grand plan.  I'll try the custom mix next, and report back how that looks once I get around to it, and that really will be sometime next week at the earliest.
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 8:22pm
It's tough matching stains in any event. I bought two pieces of decorative rail, the kind with turrned posts between two rails, about two inches high from HD. Treated them with Minwax oil based conditioner, then dark chestnut Minwax stain (which looked the closest to my cabinets). The difference in tone was remarkable- one was dark , the other light. I am going to recover with a redder stain to get closer to the cabinet color. But neither one is close to the pine coat rack stained with the same stain.... It truly is a matter of eye- hand coordination.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
 Post Reply Post Reply