R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMakin' the bed in a 177

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Makin' the bed in a 177
    Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 10:16am
OK. So we decided to invest in a nice fitted mattress pad and jersey sheets. Janet made a great purchase BUT. How the heck do you get these things on in less than a half hour. And when I was done, I felt like I needed to take them off and wash them from all of my sweat that got on them in the process. There has got to be a trick to making the bed. The new mattresses are a really tight fit which is nice but wow, what a chore getting the bedding on correctly. I just know that someone out there has figured this out.
Z-pod
Chuck Janet & Bogie the dog
'12 RP 177
1972 Shasta 1400
2005 Ford F-150 5.3L V8
Brin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 3:24pm
I feel the same way in my 175.  I have a matress pad that I have on top of the mattress and trying to get the fitted sheet around the back corners is difficult.  Last time I ended up going under the mattress and trying to pull the sheet around from underneath.  Having the mattress on my back was uncomfortable to say the least.   I too was sweating by the end of it.  I know some people who have just tucked the sheets around the pad instead of the mattress and are happy with that.  Others are using a bed in a bag system that seems to be something like two sleeping bags zippered together---we have done this when tenting also but it is too hot in the summer to do this.    Other than a foam mattress in place of the coiled one that comes with the pod, I don't think that there are any easy options.    I would love to see a video of someone making the bed without all the convultions that I have to go through---although my version is probably funnier. 
Terri and Craig and Panzer
2009 - 175 RPod
2000 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab Diesel
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 5:17pm
+1 for just putting the fitted sheet around a mattress topper.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 6:43pm
I have a similar problem in my situation in my camper and have been trying to think of a solution.  My matress is 60" X 80" and I'm not sure that Zippering 2 sleeping bags together would be quite large enough.

I may be kind of different, but I am quite content to just throw a sleeping bag (if it's cold) or just a light sheet (if it is warm) on top of this banket thing that covers the matress.  It came with the camper but, it doesn't seem to be well made and must be dry cleaned.  In the morning, I just fold up/roll up the bag or sheet and stow it away.  Regardless, the blanket thing gets messy and is hard to keep tidy.

What do you think......if I bought a queen size blanket and put grommet holes all around the perimeter.  Through the grommets, attach elastic stuff (kind of like a bungee) that would stretch underneath the matress (side to side & end to end) to always keep tension on the blanket - sort of a self straightening blanket.  Does this sound like something that might work? 

I'm a little "out of my element" when it comes to working with fabrics. 
Brin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 6:51pm
For me it wouldn't be any different as my main issue is when I change the sheets.  And sleeping on a blanket would be hot---sheets are much cooler.   Making the bed on a daily basis is just pushing the top covers down along the edges Iknuckles do get a bit scraped) and that works for me. 
Terri and Craig and Panzer
2009 - 175 RPod
2000 Ford F250 XLT Extended Cab Diesel
SoCalPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 12:35am
Since we have the 182 there's the dinet/queen to deal with so we purchased a queen egg crate foam mattress and wrapped that with bedding. We just lay that on top when we convert it and roll it up when done. Not sure if this would be plausible for your setup.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 2:13pm
I was thinking of having a mattress made that was a couple of inches shorter and narrower...until I saw the cost!  My My!$$$$$$$

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 4:33pm
I use an RV superbag to make my bed (actually mine is a Travasak which has now gone out of business.)  They are a little pricey but I got mine at a bargain from a closeout store.  The superbag is just the same as the Travasak.  Follow this link for info:  http://www.rvsuperbag.com/Standard-QueenSuperbag/productinfo/RVQ/

I put a fitted cover (use a sheet) on the mattress and the superbag on the top.  The superbag zips up on each side, and the sheets are velcroed inside.  When I get out of bed all I do is zip up the cover and smooth the bed.   Yippee!   No more struggling to make the bed!
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by TerryM

I was thinking of having a mattress made that was a couple of inches shorter and narrower...until I saw the cost!  My My!$$$$$$$

Terry

I was kind of thinking the same thing.  This would allow me to make some small shelves/cubby holes for an alarm clock, flashlight, keys, 9mm, rocket propelled grenade launcher, etc.  I have a regular queen size @ 60" X 80".  A regular full size is (I think) is 54" X 76".  I don't know if this size would work for you?  I've been holding off replacing my matress until I decide which way I want to go.

HodgePODge...it looks like a good/workable/nice system....I'm thinking....  Ying Yang 
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 9:48pm
Save room for the grenade launcher near the door, you want that to be accessible.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>