R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHas anyone tried....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has anyone tried....
    Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 7:25pm
I'm wondering if anyone has tried the "OFF" brand clip on repellent.  If so, any thoughts?

kymooses View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2011 at 10:58pm
I'd love to hear someone say these things are effective.  My wife and I are very prone to bites and hate using the stuff with lots of deet in them.
secretbard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 4:07am
I can't speak for the Off brand clip-on, but I did recently buy and use the ThermaCell mosquito/tick/black fly repellant device and I can say with all certainty, that it does work.  Unlike the Off brand repellant, the ThermaCell will repel black flies.  I used it on Sunday while washing the Pod whereas the last time I washed the Pod, I was eaten alive by both mosquitos and gnats.  

My Pod (i.e. the man-cave/ man-pod) is parked very close to the woods and where the mosquitos hang out in droves... along with the black flies/gnats.  This little device, powered by a small butane canister and a repellant strip made washing the Pod a bit more enjoyable... almost enjoyable enough for au-naturel Evil Smile. Each butane canister lasts 12 hours and each strip (and they give you 3 in each pack) lasts up to 4 hours. 

Here are the things you need to know (based upon my experience) about the effectiveness of the ThermaCell...

1.  It will take a good 20 minutes before the unit and strip is fully fired up and actively repelling the little critters and suckers away from your general area.

2.  The radius of active repelling is only about 15 feet and only on the ground level (No, I didn't pace this off, but I'm guessing the it's a large enough area to cover two lovers in their rocking chairs with the candle of passion burning between them  Clap).  I found out that it won't reach me on the top of the ladder washing the roof of the Pod or on the other side of the Pod, but it will seemingly work in a 15 x 15 x 6 foot bubble around my ever-loving tasty body... and no, I haven't yet found a girlfriend who distracts and attracts the mosquitos away from me... hence the need for some effective repellant.  Star  

2010 Rpod 172   :)
2004 Chevy Trailblazer
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 11:30am
Take a look at http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/video-hub/latest/latest/off-clipon-mosquito-repellent/18303161001/106592694001/

Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by tpierce220

Take a look at http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/video-hub/latest/latest/off-clipon-mosquito-repellent/18303161001/106592694001/

Oh well, back to using the "OFF" sprays.

Just a warning to others with "fair" skin like my wife and I.  The "OFF" spray with 30% deet burns both of us horribly.  It may very well have nothing to do with our fair skintones but more the fact that this is a lot of deet, but we mistakingly bought the spray with 30% deet once and I think honestly we would have preferred the mosquito bites.

The "OFF" with 15% works fine without the burn, and we actually use the Avon brand skin so soft repellant also and have found that to work effectively as well. 
BIG BEAR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 6:13pm
it works. but avon skin so soft is the best.
LIFE DOESNT WAIT. ENJOY IT. THE ALIEN CRAFT 2011 SURVEYOR SPORT TOYOTA FJ CRUISER
BIG BEAR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 6:18pm
david you may know this but apple cider vinegar is good to put on dixie for flies and skeeters. doesnt do much for tick and fleas.cut it a little with water and put it in a spray bottle, and mist her down.
LIFE DOESNT WAIT. ENJOY IT. THE ALIEN CRAFT 2011 SURVEYOR SPORT TOYOTA FJ CRUISER
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2011 at 10:02pm
My wife says hers worked with light mosquitoes, but not once they got heavy.  She loves her Off lantern and that works well.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply