R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed30Amp Main Trips ALOT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30Amp Main Trips ALOT
    Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 1:53pm
Hello eveyone,
We're just back from our 4th of July trip and are cleaning the Pod and unpacking. Over the weekend though I have a growing concern about our Pod's electrical and/or possibly and AC problem.
The 30Amp Main breaker in the Pod trips a lot!! It's happened at 4 different campgrounds so far, every place we've taken our pod this year. And it has seemingly begun to happen more often. In the beginning it happened more of when we were using the convection oven and the AC was running at the same time. So we would turn off the AC sometimes when we're using the oven and then we could reset the breaker finish our oven work and then turn the AC back on and no problems.
Now over this weekend, the AC alone was on, nothing else in the Pod running on shore power except the fridge and no other appliances or anything running. And the AC was tripping that breaker every few minutes. I felt it and thought it was more warm to the touch than it should be and eventually after about tripping and reseting the 4th time or so it would instantly trip as soon as I reset it. No other campers had any issues near us.
After a few hours of what I thought was letting it cool down and not running the AC we turned the AC back on for the night and it ran throughout the evening and night without ever tripping again.
Does anyone think this is a service issue? I'm taking the Pod in sometime to have our oven door fixed soon anyways and wondered if this was something that's wrong?
Does anyone else's AC trip the breakers that often? Also anyone that was at the Horse Park last week did any of yours trip then?
Input as always appreciated, a good solution preferred if ya have one! Wink
Happy 4th everyone, be safe out there and safe podding!!
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 4:22pm
I suppose it could be a service issue - but I doubt it.  Give it another weekend try, and if it continues, its time to replace the breaker.

Breakers do sometimes 'wear out.'  And, once they start, every break makes things worse and they break more often (or, better, really as they tend to break on less and less amperage, which ensures that they continue to protect against overloading and fire).

Anyway, it sounds like yours was a bit sensitive to begin with and has gotten worse.  Head to a local RV dealer and buy a new 30 amp breaker.  You can find a list of acceptable breakers on page 2 of the WF-8900 manual.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 10:52pm

Take a look at this post, so you can get a feel for how much each appliance is using.  Certainly on a 20 or 30 amp outlet using only the A/C you shouldn't have a problem.  

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1723&PID=14737&title=creating-an-instruction-maintanence-manual#14737

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 4:19am
Mine would do that under certain settings.  I can't remember what that was though.  I would take it to the dealer and show them what you do when that happens.  that would tell them what the problem is.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
Tri-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 8:29am
We had that problem on a recent trip, but we were always pushing the max. First time we had the AC on, with the oven going and I was cooking outside with the electric skillet. When you include the electric water heater that is over 4000 watts. We kicked the main breaker on the shore power. So I switched the water heater to LP and cut off the electric water heater. It happen again several days later but this time kicked the main breaker in the camper. Again AC was running, oven and fry pan. From now on I will bring an extra cord to plug in to shore power for the electric skillet. On your problem I would replace the breaker and also mention it to the service tech at your dealer. They can check the AC to see what it is pulling which will indicate if it is operating normally. Best of luck. Clark.
2010 PR 176 sold 2012 replaced with
2013 SP 240 w outside kitchen
2012 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x2
5.7L V8
Me, My Honey, and Max our GSP
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 8:43am
After this last trip with the first initial trips I was shutting things off to stop their draw of power.  So no lights tv/radio off, outside fan unplugged.  I had switched the water heater off and fridge over to propane.

So with just the AC that 30amp breaker was getting pretty toasty and tripping on me. 

With the frequency having increased each trip out, I'm hoping my dealer will just say that the AC looks fine and change the breaker and hope that solves it.

We shall see, but I do appreciate the info thus far.
 Post Reply Post Reply